Thread: Bushman's Revenge and Cortex - Sat., December 7 - Orion LiveMusic Showcases

Bushman's Revenge and Cortex - Sat., December 7 - Orion LiveMusic Showcases

Here's a really great one and one that is going to be a special treat; two outstanding bands from Norway, both of whom are making their first US tour.

These are bands that dance on the edge of rock, jazz, new music, progressive rock and more.

prices/times/full information here:
    http://www.orionsound.com/bushmans-revenge-w-cortex/

BUSHMAN´S REVENGE
    This young and extremely eminent trio mixes the energy of rock with the freedom of jazz in the most exciting and exhilirating ways. UK magazine Jazzwise called their previous album ”insanely good” and likened them to Jeff Beck being backed by Elvin Jones. It´s possible to find several references in their music, but quite difficult to name other groups that they actually sound like. If you dig Jimi Hendrix, Red period King Crimson, Albert Ayler,Coltrane and heavy electric jazz it´s very likely that you will find plenty to dig into here as well. Needless to say, we highly recommend this great trio.

Even Hermansen-guitars
    Rune Nergaard-bass
    Gard Nilssen-drums

"Every hard-rock record should be this explosive. Enthusiastically recommended, obviously".
    -Stereophile Magazine, US (record of the month)

"Sounds like Jeff Beck being backed by Elvin Jones".
    -Jazzwise, UK

"Bassist Rune Nergaard and drummer Gard Nilssen chase Hermansen's impulses as if Jitterbug was a Marshall-amp version of John Coltrane's Interstellar Space".
    David Fricke, Rolling Stone Magazine, US

"An absolute blast guaranteed to blow away any lingering winter cobwebs".
    -Rock-a-Rolla magazine, UK

www.bushmansrevenge.com

----

CORTEX
    Cortex is a Norwegian band which plays enerergetic jazz of the finest brand. With over fifty liveperfomances and two studio albums, they position themselves as one of the strongest additions to the Norwegian jazz scene. The members have their formal background from the Jazz departments at the Universities in Trondheim and Stavanger, and they are amongst the most sought after young jazz performers i Norway today. They all have marked their position in several other constellations such as: Bushmans Revenge, Puma, Team Hegdal, Saka, Zanussi 5, Friends & Neighbors, All Included, Honest John, and The Heat Death.

Cortex is Thomas Johansson (trp),
    Kristoffer Berre Alberts (sax),
    Ola Høyer (bass),
    Gard Nilssen (dr)

After extensive touring in Norway, Sweden, Germany, Belgium, France, Italy and Japan, Cortex released their second album october 2012, Göteborg, on Gigafon Records and received great admirance from international critics.

Roald Helgheim in Dagsavisen gave a very positive review, and wrote i.a.:
    "Abundant energy, in the footprints of Don Cherry, Ornette Coleman and others. Saxophone, trumpet, drums and bass is a format that requires full presence, and it´s this ability to keep up steam that makes Cortex a live band in a class of its own."
    (Dagsavisen, 22nd of October 2012)

Lars Mossefinn in Dag og Tid was also very positive and wrote i.a.:
    "Cortex offers playing that gives the feeling of driving over the mountains in spring time"
    (Dag og Tid, 23th of November 2012)

Terje Mosnes in Dagbladet rolled 5 on the dice and says:
    "Lovely bragging, noisy high energy jazz with sporadic 60s avantgarde, but still so deeply rooted in melody and pulse that it quickly reaches both feet, hips and head and has you in a firm grip until the last note."
    (Dagbladet, 24th of October 2012)

Other internationally acclaimed magazines such as Allaboutjazz and Jazzwise has written very nice reviews, and Eyal Hareuveni in Allaboutjazz wrote:
    " ' Göteborg' establishes Cortex as one of the greatest bands currently working in Norway." ( Allboutjazz.com, 3rd of December 2012)

Daniel Spicer in Jazzwise wrote:
    " You want genre labels, Call it avant garde party music."
    (Jazzwise, 29th of January 2013)

www.thomasjohansson.no

-----------------

Full information HERE
    http://www.orionsound.com/bushmans-revenge-w-cortex/

See you THERE

-----
    Lastly, the bands will also be playing these venues on these dates.

Sat. 11/30 – New York, NY, Nublu
    Mon. 12/02 – New York, NY, Shine
    Tues. 12/03 – Philadelphia, PA, Ars Nova
    Fri. 12/06 – Brooklyn, NY, The Firehouse Space
    Sat. 12/07 – Baltimore, MD, Orion
    Tues. 12/10 – Chicago, IL, Jerry’s
    Wed. 12/11 – Milwaukee, WI, Sugar Maple
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Damn, Steve! These descriptions are SO much better than mine - mind if I swipe them for my emails/website?

Mike

The band sent them to me. PLEASE use them!

yr pal and money collector at the door!

signed, sincerely,

Mr. Feigenbaum
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

just 5 days from now, bump bump bump!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I saw these bands play killer sets on Saturday in NYC. Very highly recommended!

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Hmmmm...Norway by way of Baltimore. I'm in
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Making sure I have change for the money box and I do!

Hope to see some of you tonite!

very best
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

We hoped to be at Orion for this one, but cannot make it. We're sure we'll be missing something pretty special. We're hoping folks have a great time.

Wanted to make it but logistics with work, vehicles and watching grandson made it impossible. Hope everyone has a good and safe time.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

WHAT A SHOW! WOW.

(someone else can fill in the blanks, or I will tomorrow - goodnite!)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Excellent, excellent shows tonight at Orion! Wow - what a treat!!

Debi

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    We hoped to be at Orion for this one, but cannot make it. We're sure we'll be missing something pretty special. We're hoping folks have a great time.
    Missed you and Andrea, this evening, Jon! But look forward to seeing you both at another show in 2014!

Debi

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Wanted to make it but logistics with work, vehicles and watching grandson made it impossible. Hope everyone has a good and safe time.
    Ed's account has been hacked! Somebody's typing touchy-feeley Mr Sensitive postings pretending to be Ed!

Both bands were tip top excellent, great show.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Again, it was a wonderful show and a good attendance.

I didn't personally know the musicians before the show, but we did talk during and after and they really enjoyed the space and the very special and enthusiastic, listening audience that Orion brings out!

They told me what all of us who already attend already know - that it is a special, special place to see a show.

Thank you Mike, Pete & John for hosting.

Thank you Anita, Debi and Helaine for providing 'sumptuous vittels' and drink.

Thanks to the players for playing and showing/demonstrating just how wide open and wonderful the definition of 'jazz' is in 2013 (from Ornette to Jimi and beyond, really!).

Thanks to everyone who came over and yaked with me.

Hope to see some of you for Blue Cranes on January 18, 2014.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Yeah...that was an amazing night. Was utterly mesmerized by the drummer at several points. Incredible skills but also very tasteful. Really, really great stuff
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I saw them in NYC a few days before this. It was at The Shrine in Harlem, and I was one of about 5 people in attendance that weren't with the bands. All I can say is "WOW." I already know Bushman's Revenge and have two of their CDs, but I knew nothing of Cortex. I have to say that Cortex was the star of the show and that's saying something, considering the high regard I have for Bushman's Revenge. I ended up getting CDs from both bands and I feel lucky to have attended such and intimate show and grateful there was better attendance at Orion.

Quote Originally Posted by FredOCal View Post
    ... I was one of about 5 people in attendance that weren't with the bands...
    ugh. Glad you went and sorry to hear about the numbers there.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I don't know anything about Cortex, but I have two Bushman's Revenge LPs and agree with Steve F.'s comments about them. They are a seriously great band that is very deserving of greater exposure.

NP: Fates Warning Darkness in a Different Light

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Checked out some samples yesterday certainly going to explore more
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.