Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Guns N' Roses- Yea or Nay?

Personally, I wasn't a fan and never had much interest in them.

However, when G&R first broke big, rock 'n roll was at a low ebb. It had mostly devolved into
    - the corporate rock of Journey, Bon Jovi, or Foreigner, which one writer dubbed "power-schmaltz";
    - the grotesque self-caricature of L.A. hair-metal;
    - or punk, which had yet to make its way into the mainstream and looked like it never would.
    And so Appetite for Destruction was something of a breath of fresh air when it came out - a cross between Zeppelin and the Stones, and a welcome resurgence of straightahead meat-'n-potatoes hard rock. Of course, the band itself immediately succumbed to epic head-swell, infighting, and drug problems, and almost instantly dried up as any kind of influential creative force. But their first album has a certain minor, yet definite historical importance.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, it definitely wasn't a good time for major label music (never has been since, IMO). What about Grunge, wasn't that already on the scene (not that I cared for it much, but it was a bit of an improvement).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, it definitely wasn't a good time for major label music (never has been since, IMO). What about Grunge, wasn't that already on the scene (not that I cared for it much, but it was a bit of an improvement).
    Grunge wasn't a factor yet for the masses in '87.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Grunge wasn't a factor yet for the masses in '87.
    Yeah. It already existed, in hundreds of Pacific Northwest basements and garages, in dozens of beat-up Ford Econolines on tour, and on Sub Pop Records, which a couple of guys founded to document that local scene. Some say that the first grunge act was the obscure Portland band Crackerbash, although I remember seeing them and thinking they were a good, energetic, impassioned punk band but nothing special beyond that. But it didn't really get beyond there until that fluke hit by Nirvana - and they weren't even the band anybody expected to break big out of Seattle.

However, while G&R definitely weren't grunge, you could say they paved the way for it by showing the Big Time Industry that straight-up rock 'n roll could still sell records, sell tickets, and get radio play.

Nay. In retrospect, they're a lot better than what's popular today, but I never cared much for them. Slash is a good blues/rock guitar player if you like that sort of thing. For the most part, I burned out on it a long time ago, with a few exceptions.

And thanks for reminding me about The Shaggs. At least their music makes me smile.

Banned

Is it me, or do these songs sound similar?

Magdelaine is my favorite song from L.A. Guns. I don't think it sounds like any GnR sound. Tracii and Slash often sounded similar in style. Axl obviously was into their style.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Magdelaine is my favorite song from L.A. Guns. I don't think it sounds like any GnR sound. Tracii and Slash often sounded similar in style. Axl obviously was into their style.
    I just needed an excuse to share the first song. I got the L.A Guns CD, Cocked & Loaded, today at Second Spin.

I think that is their best release.

Banned
    I think that is their best release.
    Good to know. Sorry to keep derailing this thread by keep talking about L.A Guns, but(from listening to Cocked & Loaded) they sound like GNR. Not like all those other '80s "hair metal" bands.

The band Hollywood Rose had every member of GnR in it. Tracii Guns was in GnR in the early days. Tracii GUNS Axl ROSE. LA Guns Hollywood Rose. Guns 'N Roses.

Banned
    The band Hollywood Rose had every member of GnR in it. Tracii Guns was in GnR in the early days. Tracii GUNS Axl ROSE. LA Guns Hollywood Rose. Guns 'N Roses.
    I know all that. It's just that every music discussion on '80s rock regards GNR as rock saviors, with everyone else(L.A Guns included) branded as crap. L.A don't sound like "pussy rock" to me.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    LA Guns was far better then Axl's lame version.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    I was in my twenties in the 80's in the US, and I thought they were shit.
    Same here. Honestly their songwriting seemed pretty sophomoric compared the the 70s bands they were trying to emulate.

IMO of course.

Axl and Roine?? Don't get that one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by pete100ca View Post
    Same here. Honestly their songwriting seemed pretty sophomoric compared the the 70s bands they were trying to emulate.

I'd rather listen to The Eagles than G-N-R.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I am one of those strange people who like GnR and The Eagles.........and prog........

Steve Sly

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    The original band was awesome, but Axl is a joke now.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

And what was sad was that he became a joke so fast - from a brash up-and-comer, to an ego-bloated Heaven's Gate cautionary tale by the very next album, and then to a three-quarters-insane Phil Spector recluse, who couldn't start a show on time, or finish one, or complete his third album for decades.

I wonder if Kurt Cobain's horror of becoming another Axl Rose was yet another reason that drove him to suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I wonder if Kurt Cobain's horror of becoming another Axl Rose was yet another reason that drove him to suicide.
    Most likey it was the heroin, depression, stomach illness and lack of self-worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Most likey it was the heroin, depression, stomach illness and lack of self-worth.
    ...and the hitman Courtney Love hired.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Banned

Here's GNR paying tribute to Queen.