Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HAIM??

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is that Corey Haim's band?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is that Corey Haim's band?
    Yeah, they're trying a new slant on the 'death is a lucrative career move' idea, where the band leader died before the band got together and became famous, but they carry on with the original band name.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Yeah, they're trying a new slant on the 'death is a lucrative career move' idea, where the band leader died before the band got together and became famous, but they carry on with the original band name.
    I'm sure there will be countless comebacks and jokes/riddles now from him.

The one bad thing about the 'ignore' function is that it doesn't work when someone else quotes that person

The Band Haim is pronounced Hi-Imm and not Hame. Their father is an Israeli musician and the name comes from the phrase "L'Chaim".

The preceding has been lesson 1 in Semitic culture.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The Band Haim is pronounced Hi-Imm and not Hame. Their father is an Israeli musician and the name comes from the phrase "L'Chaim".

The preceding has been lesson 1 in Semitic culture.
    As Elvis wrote, My Haim is true...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

The Band Haim is pronounced "Hi-Imm" and not "Hame".
    But not "Hchchchcai-imm".

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    But not "Hchchchcai-imm".
    That would, of course, be de rigeur, John.

Why is it that Gentiles have such a problem with words like L'Chaim or Chutzpah. If you're gonna use 'em, at least practice by clearing your throat.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

They're not bad at all and I appreciate that in this day and age, they play musical instruments and seem to be influenced by some "before their time" music (I liked that Michael Jackson-ish groove on "Forever"), but it's nothing I'd want to buy and listen to.
    But it's just so damn diatonic.
    ALL modern pop music is, at least the stuff that gets any airplay.

Gruno, I have that money I owe you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I'm sure there will be countless comebacks and jokes/riddles now from him.

The one bad thing about the 'ignore' function is that it doesn't work when someone else quotes that person

So take him off your ignore list. Are you telling me that someone on PE can make you so upset that you just cannot read a single word he ever writes... ever?

Are you even seeing this?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    So take him off your ignore list. Are you telling me that someone on PE can make you so upset that you just cannot read a single word he ever writes... ever?
    It doesn't upset me. It is an irritant. Big difference. Conversation flows here and sometimes it gets stagnant. Joking within threads is also not a problem. The irritation (for me) is when the jokester doesn't stop. It becomes joke after joke after joke in so many threads. It pollutes the discussion. Check the 'Def Leppard' thread to see a prime example of him using tasteless "arm" jokes aimed at the drummer… who has one arm. Look how pathetic he tries for a cheap thrill/laugh:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...28-Def-Leppard

The mods seem to have no problem with his form of humor, so I chose to use the ignore feature. It's what the ignore feature is made for, so I used it this one time. Yes, it means I won't "read a single word he ever writes… ever", and I am okay with that. With that, let's move it to PM or let's drop it from this thread as to not derail it further or to give him the attention he seems to need.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Are you even seeing this?
    Did someone say something?

Don't worry, Yves - I'm glad Gruno has me on ignore. He's an imbecile.

Why is it that Gentiles have such a problem with words like L'Chaim or Chutzpah?
    Because that sound doesn't exist in English. And in fact, there isn't even a way to spell it (other than "Hchchchc" or something similar) if you only use the commonly understood English sounds for letters. "Ch" is used as a stand-in, but it actually denotes the sound that begins "chew" or "chair", and not the one that begins "chutzpah". I suppose you could use "hch" and have "hchutzpah", but nobody does it, and it'd only confuse people.

Perhaps it's a matter of region: Yiddish loan-words would probably be commonest in areas with a large Jewish population, and Gentiles living there would have heard them and know how to pronounce them. But in parts of the country with few Jews, those words wouldn't have made their way into the local English vernacular, and since nobody would use them it wouldn't matter that no one knew how to pronounce them.

But in parts of the country with few Jews, those words wouldn't have made their way into the local English vernacular, and since nobody would use them it wouldn't matter that no one knew how to pronounce them.
    I'll bet you can find people using Yiddish words like "glitch" and "klutz" almost all across the country.

I'll bet you can find people using Yiddish words like "glitch" and "klutz" almost all across the country.
    You're right. But neither of those words have the "hchchc" sound. All their sounds can also be found in English, and I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with their wide currency. Also, at least to me, they aren't obviously Yiddish. "Putz" and "schmuck" are (to me), but maybe only because I know they are, and maybe because of the "tz" and "sch" sounds.

Why is it that Gentiles have such a problem with words like L'Chaim or Chutzpah. If you're gonna use 'em, at least practice by clearing your throat.
    And then say them before you spit.

All this thread is doing is making me yearn for a nice plate of Stuffed Derma.

Oi vey. Such a schmengle.

All this thread is doing is making me yearn for a nice plate of Stuffed Derma.
    "We don' need no stinking Kischka"

As a Scotsman I have no problem at all pronouncing l"Chaim (which is Hebrew not Yiddish btw) and Chutzpah. And stuffed derma is nuthin' but kosher haggis.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    As a Scotsman ...