Thread: Question about tribute bands

Question about tribute bands

Gonna catch The Musical Box tonight. Very excited! But it never occurred to me how they get away with copyright laws. I assume these bands (esp. the more popular among them) are making money from shows & doing it from other people's music. So how does that work?

Just like any other cover band, I imagine. The performing rights organizations (BMI, ASCAP, and the like) exist to compensate the writers for performances in live venues by other artists. It's actually the venue that pays a fee that goes back to the publishers and writers but I supposed that's passed on in the ticket price.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Just like any other cover band, I imagine. The performing rights organizations (BMI, ASCAP, and the like) exist to compensate the writers for performances in live venues by other artists. It's actually the venue that pays a fee that goes back to the publishers and writers but I supposed that's passed on in the ticket price.
    In other words, WE the concertgoers pay for it.

I would love to be corrected if I'm wrong, but in the specific case of The Musical Box, I would assume they also paid either a lump sum payment or they make periodic payments to the G-Spot coffers for using the costumes and props from the originals as well as having G-Spot vocally endorsing them.

If Genesis is doing that gratis, then that's impressive.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I always thought that tribute bands were limited to performing the covers only and that copyright laws applied to recording of such covers. I know of many tribute shows where there is no admission charged. How would compensation to the original artist be calculated...I made a DVD of the very first Three Friends show for sale as a fundraiser for Gorgg, and we researched the copyright issue, before it was produced.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Man, these guys are incredible. I can see why the real band were so supportive of them.

So my next question is- why exactly *did* Steve Hackett leave the band?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    He was bothered that a lot of his songs were not being used by the band.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Listen to Voyage Of The Acolyte.

Gonna catch The Musical Box tonight. Very excited! But it never occurred to me how they get away with copyright laws. I assume these bands (esp. the more popular among them) are making money from shows & doing it from other people's music. So how does that work?
    Well, in TMB's case, the Genesis members have helped them... I suppoose that huge shows like AustralianPink Floyd Shows have agreements

Those cover bands are probably useful for the featured band's back-catalogue
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Any band can play any song they choose to. No laws prohibit it. It's not the band that has to pay the "composers live performance fee". It's the venue.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Enjoy the show Rickenbacker. If you have seen them before, you already know that you are in for a real treat. Nobody does it better. I just caught my 40th TMB show Friday evening in Glenside.

I've never seen MBox, they've never played Vancouver. I did look into getting them here but I don't know if 600 tickets would sell. A very good local Genesis trib act gets a crowd 1/4 that size. Private message me if you have any thoughts re MBox for Vancouver (hope this isn't contrary to PE etiquette, ).
    dave

Actually, within the EU, cafes, restaurants and other public places that broadcast music either over a PA from recorded media or simply via a radio or TV channel have to pay a fee to do so, to their relevant national music copyright organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    Any band can play any song they choose to. No laws prohibit it. It's not the band that has to pay the "composers live performance fee". It's the venue.
    Exactly how it is in Europe. The fee paid to the copyright body is paid by venues (shop, stadium, park, cafe, sports arena) that permit music to be played or performed for the public.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    +1 and +1

In the USA, it costs the venue $1200 per year (it may have gone up but thats what it was about 8 years ago)

It covers not just live cover music, but jukebox, DJ, and karaoke needs as well.

In Canada, for a concert, 3% of ticket revenue to Socan (Society of Composers Authors Music Publishers of Canada) and the promoter pays. Unlikely that the fee gets properly directed to the actual artits/composers whose muisc is performed. To rent a function room at a hotel, university etc, there are flat fees based on backgroundmusic playing, music with dancing, etc. There are also fees for offices and businesses where music is played. I stand to be corrected, but I believe that there is some formula based on radio plays, use in tv and film, and other factors that determines what ratio each member of Socan gets of the cash pool.