Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ian Anderson Album and Tour

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    t isn't dragged by being the sequel to an older album) than "TAAB2".
    Technically, isn't this TAAB 3?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Technically, isn't this TAAB 3?
    Well, maybe it is, but it isn't titled "TAAB3" and I didn't hear quotes from previous instalments, certainly nothing as obvious as the ending to "TAAB2" (admittedly I've only heard the album once so far).
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

http://concerts.livenation.com/Ian-A...om=EMLN_231254
    A couple of local shows have been added; Huntington, NY on Nov. 8th & Montclair, NJ on the 10th. No mention of the new album; billed as The Best Of Jethro Tull Performed By Ian Anderson.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Excellent new album. Very dark. 15 tracks, no clunkers.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Seeing the Durham show in October.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Longtime Tull fan. Got tickets this morning for the Pabst Theater in Milwaukee on October 18th. Saw the TAAB show last go-round. Really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I was gonna go for that 4-disc deluxe version but by the time the shipping was factored in, I was looking at £45.19, or about 83 bucks! I just can't justify that price. So I ordered the 2-disc version for a total of £14.49,or $26.64. Much more reasonable, and it still has the 5.1 mix included.
    The 4 disk box set has appeared on Amazon for $59.51, ordered. Got 3 to 1 the price goes down by the time it ships.

Not to be confused with JC's excellent album from 2003 HoboSapiens

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    The 4 disk box set has appeared on Amazon for $59.51, ordered. Got 3 to 1 the price goes down by the time it ships.
    Thanks for the notice! Ordered with Amazon Prime free two-day shipping!

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    http://concerts.livenation.com/Ian-A...om=EMLN_231254
    A couple of local shows have been added; Huntington, NY on Nov. 8th & Montclair, NJ on the 10th. No mention of the new album; billed as The Best Of Jethro Tull Performed By Ian Anderson.
    Couldn't decide, so I scored tix for both.

A few people in this thread appear to have heard the new album pre release. Any chance of sharing any more information . Which Tull album is it most similar to? Is it overladen with vocals or more instrumental ? Is it guitar or flute driven ?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thanks for the notice! Ordered with Amazon Prime free two-day shipping!
    The box set is cheaper at Burning Shed currently ($56.55 vs $59.51) than Amazon, but the $16.50 shipping to the States is the deal-killer when you can get free shipping here.

I'm sure the Amazon price will decrease by the release date, anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/ia-taab2/sets...aticus-samples

Ian can't sing for shit live but sounds just fine in the studio IMO, the samples sound like TAAB2 volume 2, which I liked just fine.

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Yep, Ian apparently is going to milk that cow and then turn it into hamburger
    And then use the remaining grease to lubricate his hands for the next cow milking.

And then use the remaining grease to lubricate his hands for the next cow milking.
    Give Ian a break, Indian food's pretty expensive, right? Not to mention he has a lotta cats to feed, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Not to be confused with JC's excellent album from 2003 HoboSapiens
    Or this Pete Shelley classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HwmO_GZfzI&feature=kp

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Give Ian a break, Indian food's pretty expensive, right? Not to mention he has a lotta cats to feed, too.
    I'm always happy to give Ian my money.

I'm always happy to give Ian my money.
    Ian's got more than he needs. Give some to me!

Four strong reviews already. I'm getting excited for this album!

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/201419.php
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It is impossible for me to be impartial about Ian Anderson. At age 3, I was taken to a Tull show and my mind was forever altered - I've been a music fanatic ever since, so a new release from Ian or Tull is a BIG deal for me.

I am one of those hopeless 'fanboys' who likes just about everything from Ian. I'm not saying all of it is the greatest thing ever, just that I like it. There's a difference. :-)

I have heard Homo Erraticus several times and I think it's a great work. I also think TaaB2 is a fine work, so perhaps my opinion won't count among many of its detractors? That aside, without giving away too much, I think that Homo Erraticus is an admirable and brave work, particularly for an artist in his mid-60s.

Does it compare to the Best of Tull? Well, I really think that's unfair. I can only fairly compare it to itself. By those parameters, it completely succeeds as a brave and exciting piece of music from a man with 40+ years of music behind him. A man who continues to challenge himself and his listeners with NEW music, instead of resting on his laurels. What more can we ask for?
    Last edited by zombywoof; 04-05-2014 at 08:56 AM.

I've always enjoyed the music of IA. He makes me think which is an important part of my musical experience. As much as I like the music he was putting out in the 1970s, he's not the same person or composer. I'm not the same person, either. Our trajectories are different than they were 40 years ago, but we're still on a parallel track.

As for me & Peter Gabriel...
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    It is impossible for me to be impartial about Ian Anderson

a new release from Ian or Tull is a BIG deal for me.

I am one of those hopeless 'fanboys' who likes just about everything from Ian. I'm not saying all of it is the greatest thing ever, just that I like it. There's a difference. :-)

I also think TaaB2 is a fine work
    I agree with all of this (except I'll never classify myself as a 'fanboy' of anyone or anything. I am a fan). A fan who happens to like most everything the guy releases (a few tracks here and there are exceptions) . I liked TAAB2 as well, although after a while I edited out some of the narration and stuck to the songs.

I find I'm that way with all my favourite bands/artists. Although I like the 'classic period' stuff best, I tend to like all eras of a band's career (Genesis, Yes, Tull, Rush, Marillion, Crimson etc.)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I only call myself a fanboy, because I've been accused of it so many times, I might as well adopt it!

I've liked pretty much everything IA has done. The music is generally good, and I like his lyrics and humour a lot. Some of his stuff paints nice pictures and images. First band I got into in 1989, bored with most pop music, and unable to find anything to engage with the rock/metal bands. I liked TAAB2 as well, including the 'spoken' passages. Interesting concept with some strong music (Change of Horses) and a bit of humour.

I recently picked up a second hand copy of 'Walk Into Light', which I thought was tremendous - it always amused me that IA held of doing an acoustic solo album for so long.

The only thing he's done that I thought was pretty poor was that 'Ian Anderson plays the Orchestral Jethro Tull' double CD a few years back (Which was basically his current solo band, or very close to it.)