Thread: Crickets Recorded Then Slowed Down - Sounds Like Humans Singing

Crickets Recorded Then Slowed Down - Sounds Like Humans Singing

Eerie!

(Now I'm waiting for someone to include this in some prog track, claiming it's the newest version of a Mellotron.)

Remember - you can now embed Soundcloud into PE posts:

Specifically:

if you're entering text - click "Go Advanced". the menu ribbon now has a soundcloud button :

Like this:

Regards,

Duncan

...they sing better than some of the prog singers

This is confirmed PROOF that Pink Floyd isnt Prog and Jon Anderson needs to stay away from Yes

Can't listen to it at work, but that's a very interesting-looking waveform.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

But is it JUST crickets? Seems like there is some disagreement about whether there are human voices added.

Quote Originally Posted by JSS View Post
    But is it JUST crickets? Seems like there is some disagreement about whether there are human voices added.
    Maybe Buddy Holly's in there, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I suspect it's a hoax.

To begin with, it doesn't sound like what cricket-chirping would probably be like if slowed down. The chirp is monophonic, repetitious, and sounds like just one note; whereas the "slowed-down" version seems to have harmonies, switches between a lower "bugle-call" and a higher "angel-choir" B-part, and consists of melodic fragments that fall way too closely into an Eb major scale to be a "natural" sound. It sounds like a recording of a real, human choir - or perhaps a sampled choir - cleverly looped, smeared with echo to hide the words, and overlaid with the sound of crickets.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For some reason the links aren't working for me (might be a firewall issue), but this post seems to explain what's really being heard:

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithab...down-crickets/

Sorry, they don't do a I-IV-I plagal cadence in tight ensemble.

The sound of crickets slowed down is very beautiful and evocative, but there's intervention, likely some chording on a sampler keyboard involved here.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I suspect it's a hoax.

To begin with, it doesn't sound like what cricket-chirping would probably be like if slowed down. The chirp is monophonic, repetitious, and sounds like just one note; whereas the "slowed-down" version seems to have harmonies, switches between a lower "bugle-call" and a higher "angel-choir" B-part, and consists of melodic fragments that fall way too closely into an Eb major scale to be a "natural" sound. It sounds like a recording of a real, human choir - or perhaps a sampled choir - cleverly looped, smeared with echo to hide the words, and overlaid with the sound of crickets.
    It's not a hoax, but it's more than "slowed down". I can't recall the name of the site that let you do it, but when this first came out 3 or so years ago you could upload your own sounds and try it out for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I suspect it's a hoax.
    I just downloaded a few cricket chirp samples and manipulated them in Soundforge...I dont get any "angelic choir" sounds

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I just downloaded a few cricket chirp samples and manipulated them in Soundforge...I dont get any "angelic choir" sounds
    :

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I was waiting for someone to do that!

BTW - I scanned Snopes before starting this thread. No mention there (yet) of this being fake...
    Regards,

Duncan

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    This is supposed to explain how it was done:

https://soundcloud.com/herebemonster...ets-sing-hymns

I couldn't take the narrator's Mr. Rogers-on-quaaludes speaking style for more than a couple of minutes.

I've only been listening for 3 minutes and I can already hear a rhythmic percussive sound, almost like a tambourine.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    READ POST #8 ALREADY!!!

The page I posted the link for gives the answer for which you're all blindly searching.