Thread: Alain Markusfeld - anybody familiar?

Alain Markusfeld - anybody familiar?

Just got hold of an LP called Le Desert Noir by a French guitarist named Alain Markusfeld. It's on the EGG label. I've seen this guy's stuff on eBay for years and never knew whether it was legit or not. So far I'm digging it. How does this compare to his other albums?
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

If you like Le Desert Noir then I think you might enjoy Platock from the following year (78). These are the only two that I have.

Also check out Contemporus.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    If you like Le Desert Noir then I think you might enjoy Platock from the following year (78). These are the only two that I have.
    OK stuff.

I have Platock and Contemporus and I like them. Markusfeld is definitely a guitarist with a unique style, also adding some keys, (wordless) vocals from his wife and some neat percussion from (later a soloist) Jean Schultheis. One thing he does that’s really odd is twisting the knobs on the headstock as he plays.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"You can take the war out of the soldier, but you can't raise that soldier from the dead."
    --Shona Laing

N.P.:“Devil of a Girl”-Von Hertzen Brothers/Experience

I've only really heard his early 70's albums, which I find messy and over-rated

I did hear once bits of Patock in a second-hand shop, but it left me an impression of a solo acoustic guitar album?? Is this not so??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I also have Platock and Contemporus. Both pretty cool rekkids.

Le Desert Noire is a nice little album
    I like the folky acoustic eastern stuff but also his more rock pieces like

Banned
    I have all including the mainly acoustic Live.
    "Desert Noir" likely the best of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I've only really heard his early 70's albums, which I find messy and over-rated

I did hear once bits of Patock in a second-hand shop, but it left me an impression of a solo acoustic guitar album?? Is this not so??
    There’s electric guitar, piano, organ, percussion and female vocals on Platock but yes, acoustic guitar is the dominant instrument. I suppose I’d recommend Markusfeld to fans of Steve Tibbetts and Michael Hedges, he’s sort of a precursor to both of them in a way.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Stagnation”-Genesis/Trespass

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I suppose I’d recommend Markusfeld to fans of Steve Tibbetts and Michael Hedges, he’s sort of a precursor to both of them in a way.
    That makes me want to hear more Markusfeld then, as I love Hedges and especially Tibbetts (and I have long felt those two had a lot in common as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Le Desert Noire is a nice little album
    I like the folky acoustic eastern stuff but also his more rock pieces like
    I bought the LP on the strength of this YouTube clip, actually. I think it's by far the most interesting track on the album, but the rest of the album seems pretty good too. I think I was somehow under the impression that Markusfeld was an offshoot of the Magma/Heldon scene, but I don't really hear it much on this LP.

For my tastes, the best two albums by Markusfeld are when he recorded for Barclay - long before his Egg record days. "Le monde en étages" (1970) and "Le son tombé du ciel" (1971). These are more geared toward Jimi Hendrix psych and early proto-prog. Here are my notes on the 1971 album: "More exploratory and adventurous than the debut, "Le Son Tombé du Ciel" is perhaps Markusfeld's finest work within a creative period that spans throughout the 1970s. He continues his love affair with Hendrix, and the psychedelic blues rock numbers on here prove it. But there's a new dimension added, one that is based in experimentalism, jazz, and folk. These latter elements show up in the incredible pleasant atmosphere, rather than as dissonant noise. In fact the last track 'Eve' is immensely beautiful, the female wordless voices taking you to a different world. This latter track seemingly the blueprint for the Lourival Silvestre "Fiction Musicale" album that would come along a few years later. Overall, an album that is very French, and I mean that as a high compliment."

Unfortunately neither have been reissued on CD (actually none of his stuff has been).

Thanks for that, Tom. I was not aware that none of this stuff was on CD.

Actually Tom that isn't true. Alain has put together a compilation CD that he recently released. Its some of his older material (Egg label era) as well as new works which are much more in the jazz vein.

I've been talking to Alain for a couple of years about releasing some of his albums on CD. The problem the master tapes are basically being held hostage by a label (not Universal). I believe Markusfeld is pursuing legal action to get them back.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom
    For my tastes, the best two albums by Markusfeld are when he recorded for Barclay - long before his Egg record days. "Le monde en étages" (1970) and "Le son tombé du ciel" (1971).
    I'm with Tom here. Markusfeld was (is?) a talented composer and player for sure, but I don't get nearly as much excitement from his more mature works than from these early records. But beware, they're nothing like "Le Desert Noir", much more rough and rocking, yet with unmistakably French elegance to some of the melodies. Sort of like heavy-ish proto-prog with a French twist.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    For my tastes, the best two albums by Markusfeld are when he recorded for Barclay - long before his Egg record days. "Le monde en étages" (1970) and "Le son tombé du ciel" (1971).
    Agree. I prefer them over what came next.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I have Le Desert Noir & Contemporus and love them both. Have been wanting the LIVE one for ages now but never came across it. NEVER HEARD of "Le monde en étages" (1970) and "Le son tombé du ciel" (1971). I'll have to add these to my want list immediately.

Checked out some clips a couple of weeks ago and thought the stuff held up really well. Sorry to hear that the tapes are being kept from the artist...i don't know the whole story, but the fact that there's no real money to be made from cd releases often doesn't seem to influence record company decisions in these matters.

Markusfeld owns the rights. The label won't release the tapes. Instead of sending him the tapes they sent him a photograph of them. No...I'm not making that up.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Markusfeld owns the rights. The label won't release the tapes. Instead of sending him the tapes they sent him a photograph of them. No...I'm not making that up.
    That would be hilarious if it weren’t so sad.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"The world of the heterosexual is a sick and boring life." --Edith Massey

N.P.:“Fire”-Third Ear Band

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Instead of sending him the tapes they sent him a photograph of them. No...I'm not making that up.
    Was there a ransom note?

Shameful!

I heard couple of albums by Alain that I felt are really good; "Le Monde en Etages" and "Le Son Tombe Du Ciel"
    Last edited by Progmatic; 11-26-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Hi everybody,
    First, many thanks for listening to my work.
    You can find some release of some tunes in a first CD I published, a second one is coming soon.
    http://music.ovi.com/fr/fr/pc/Produc...Trail/35008508
    Alain Markusfeld
    http://www.alainmarkusfeld.fr/index.html