Thread: New Jimi Hendrix album coming out in March

INteresting. It would be nice to see more detail. Even the official site refers to the brief RS write-up.

Needless to say, there's an endless treasure trove of studio material.

Hendrix must be awful tired being dug up from the dead to make new albums time and time again.

^^^^ I suspect he'd cringe at some of the bidness decisions of his sister...
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Banned
    Yes but don't forget the new line Jimi Hendrix clothing from Bloomingdaleshttp://www.rollingstone.com/music/bl...dales-20121106

Jimi Hendrix: he's dead, but he's still making new music for his fans to enjoy!

Meh. Lotsa stuff that was recorded was never intended for release, and has no business being released. It just sullies his reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Meh. Lotsa stuff that was recorded was never intended for release, and has no business being released. It just sullies his reputation.
    Though I think it's hard to chip away at a reputation as solid as Jimi's, I agree. He's turning over in his grave, most likely. Everything that was released posthumously suffers from the lack of his input in the studio during the mixing stage, which was monumental. Something like "First Rays of the New Rising Sun" would never have ended up sounding the way it does had Jimi been able to oversee everything before it was released.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Well, I can appreciate that the Hendrix estate missed out on three decades of royalties and that they're trying to make up for lost time and revenue, but the last couple of Hendrix "albums" that got released are spotty, like the unfinished demos that they are. Face it, they're not saving the best for last. Before long the Hendrix estate is going to pull a Yoko and release a boxset of incidental studio chatter and start-stop rehearsal runs. Pass.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

meimjustalawnmower
    Who doesn't already have everything by Hendrix that they might want? It's all out there.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Who doesn't already have everything by Hendrix that they might want? It's all out there.
    Me, for one. It is certainly not all out there. One of the most-requested shows has yet to be officially released. That would be the RAH show from '69. There's a dispute on the publishing rights. There are also plenty of other live recordings that are absolutely fantastic that should see the light of day. I am a bit troubled by this obsession of studio jams, which are still great. But, this trend is getting long-in-the-tooth.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Me, for one. It is certainly not all out there. One of the most-requested shows has yet to be officially released. That would be the RAH show from '69. There's a dispute on the publishing rights. There are also plenty of other live recordings that are absolutely fantastic that should see the light of day.
    I don't care if it's "officially" released or otherwise, just as long as I can hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Jimi Hendrix: he's dead, but he's still making new music for his fans to enjoy!
    Hey, Jimi Hendrix and Michael Jackson are putting out more new albums from beyond the grave than some actively touring bands with allegedly living members are putting out. I'd say the gauntlet has been laid down. Some of these nostalgia bands need to seriously step up their game.

I don't care if it's "officially" released or otherwise, just as long as I can hear it.
    Okay, then we agree. The first sentence of my response was actually misstated. Yes, I have all that stuff unofficially. The rest of my comment was more on behalf of those who haven't been enlightened by the world of ROIO. I'd just like to see that material released to the masses instead of more studio jams.

[QUOTE=ronmac;10250 One of the most-requested shows has yet to be officially released. That would be the RAH show from '69. [/QUOTE]

I have the two LPs on Ember Records. Wasn't this gig filmed?
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I have the two LPs on Ember Records. Wasn't this gig filmed?
    Yes, it was. You can see it all on YouTube. That's the root of the problem. The filmmakers are the rights-holders and, thereby, are preventing the family from releasing it. I believe it has appeared on more than one semi-official release. Not many are complete, though. What I find odd is that at least one track was released by Alan (the snake) Douglas. However, knowing him, he may have done it without the rights to do so.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Me, the one thing I've been waiting to hear is a release of the sessions Hendrix recorded with Hansson and Karlsson