Thread: Skeem - ... just Suggesting (2013, 2-CD, Musea)

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Skeem - ... just Suggesting (2013, 2-CD, Musea)

In 2001 Skeem presented itself with a self-titled debut that was just the right album to use for slagging down neo-prog. It has all the ingredients that made neo-prog unpopular, especially on this forum, and the album didn't contain one single element of originality.

Yet, maybe thanks to the hilarious simple melody-lines, or maybe thanks to the very transparant and open (or read: blant) production, I really really liked the album. And now, 12 years later, there's suddenly a new album. And it's a double, no less. And guess what? Nothing changed at all!

A friend of mine called this 'happy-prog'. Think a mixture between Fruitcake, but without the sinister undertone, or Poor Genetic Material, but without the pathos. Fans of Cuneiform and AltrOck: stay far, far away. For those who think guilty pleasure is a virtue though, look no further.

Here's a glimpse:

I have the 2001 cd, and I like it pretty well, except for those AOR-ish choruses that appear in several songs. As for the new album, I think it's better than the first album, however, it's a bit too long. BTW, Serge Barbaro, has quite an excellent voice.