Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Dad-rock"

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    "Nobody listens to old guys with guitars anymore" - My 19 year old step-son.
    That's not really true though. My 10 year old makes no distinction between Led Zeppelin and Justin Bieber. It's crazy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Again, I don't see anything wrong with this perspective. There is no imperative for one generation to accept the previous generations' pop culture aritifacts.
    Ok. I'm wiping my ass with the American flag...

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Dion DiMucci might be the coolest guy on planet Earth.
    You know, I never considered myself a Dion fan. However, my wife and I were given tickets to "The Beach Boys" (a.k.a. Mike Love's traveling cover band). We went because, well, why the heck not. Dion was the opening act, and was just INSANELY good...blew The Beach Boys way off the stage. I love when seeing an amazing artist live transforms your entire opinion about them.

You said it, sir. Ever since Sammy, Dino, and Frankie shuffled off this mortal coil, Dion has that title. He is half a man and half amazing. I've had a man-crush on him for years. One of the greatest singers ever. John Lennon patterned his early image after Dion; 'nuff said.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Dion is definitely an artist that adapted to changing musical tastes, from doo-wop to singer/songwriter ("Abraham, Martin & John), then to Christian pop-rock and now back where he belongs, doing doo-wop.

Having personally sung doo-wop on Belmont Ave. in the Bronx in the late 50s, there hasn't been a moment in the last 55 years, since I was 13, that I haven't appreciated Dion. His voice is remarkable for a guy older than me, and my friend Lololopez is right in his assessment that Dion is da man now!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    "Nobody listens to old guys with guitars anymore" - My 19 year old step-son.

That's probably not too far from the truth, if what I see on TV lately is any indication.

Well, if it’s any indication, young hip hop/dance-loving people invented the term “rockism” to represent people who don’t respect their half-assed attempts at “music.”

That said, this is hardly a new phenomenon. It’s been going on at least since fans of ragtime mocked their elders for enjoying Stephen Foster songs.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Balivernes”-Minimum Vital/Envol Triangles

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    That's probably not too far from the truth, if what I see on TV lately is any indication.
    Yeah, this was on The Colbert Report last night, and recently CONAN.... M.I.A. - I have a feeling this is the future if it's on mainstream TV....

Every generation has a solemn duty to embrace something that will make their parents scream "TURN THAT SHIT OFF!!" and mean it. And the only way to do it is to make music dumber and dumber.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Every generation has a solemn duty to embrace something that will make their parents scream "TURN THAT SHIT OFF!!" and mean it. And the only way to do it is to make music dumber and dumber.
    So did teenagers embrace Elvis Presley because he shook his hips in a "lewd" fashion? Did they embrace The Rolling Stones because they looked like a bunch of hooligans? Did they embrace The Who because Townshend smashed his guitar? Did they embrace Hendrix because he set his guitar on fire? Did they embrace Alice Cooper because he allegedly tore a chicken apart with his bare hands onstage? Did they embrace Kiss because Gene Simmons drooled blood onstage? Did they embrace Iron Maiden because of the whole Eddie related imagery? Did they embrace Judas Priest because they blew a guy's head up and pants him in a video? Did they embrace Marilyn Manson because he rubbed his ass on an American flag?

Or was it because of the music?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So did teenagers embrace Elvis Presley because he shook his hips in a "lewd" fashion? Did they embrace The Rolling Stones because they looked like a bunch of hooligans? Did they embrace The Who because Townshend smashed his guitar? Did they embrace Hendrix because he set his guitar on fire? Did they embrace Alice Cooper because he allegedly tore a chicken apart with his bare hands onstage? Did they embrace Kiss because Gene Simmons drooled blood onstage? Did they embrace Iron Maiden because of the whole Eddie related imagery? Did they embrace Judas Priest because they blew a guy's head up and pants him in a video? Did they embrace Marilyn Manson because he rubbed his ass on an American flag?
    It would be a bit naive to say that wasn't at least 50% of it.

word..
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Or was it because of the music?
    There are a million bands to choose from. You can only pick a few. So, to a kid, it's the image and the look and the other hooks that might appeal to them get them to listen to the music and be pre-disposed to liking it.

... My 10 year old makes no distinction between Led Zeppelin and Justin Bieber. It's crazy.
    My wife is like that. She can't distinguish between what I call a 'commercial' or 'radio-friendly' song and music that, to me, no AM or FM radio station would touch. She either likes it or doesn't, and there's very little music she dislikes. She even likes 'my' stuff, e.g., (lately) Melvins, Nurse With Wound, Buckethead, Colour Haze, etc.

Love Dion.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    word..
    Triple word.

Woid.....

Every generation has a solemn duty to embrace something that will make their parents scream "TURN THAT SHIT OFF!!" and mean it.
    Yes....'cept I haven't seen that happen with rock in a long time. I think today's "TURN THAT SHIT OFF!!" music is probably hip hop and/or Miley Cyrus & her dance-pop peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Yes....'cept I haven't seen that happen with rock in a long time. I think today's "TURN THAT SHIT OFF!!" music is probably hip hop and/or Miley Cyrus & her dance-pop peers.
    Yeah, that seems to be the case. I always liked Bill Cosby's piece about how time makes liars out of all parents, because when you're a teenager, your parents say "TURN THAT NOISE DOWN" or "Those clothes you wear look ridiculous", etc. And every teenager says "I'm not going to be like that with my kids", and of course, it doesn't exactly go that way.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. I always liked Bill Cosby's piece about how time makes liars out of all parents, because when you're a teenager, your parents say "TURN THAT NOISE DOWN" or "Those clothes you wear look ridiculous", etc. And every teenager says "I'm not going to be like that with my kids", and of course, it doesn't exactly go that way.
    I took pride in never being that guy, until recently.... My eldest is 17 and we have a great relationship over music, she loves loads of prog, and has come to countless gigs and festivals with me, has introduced me to music I would have missed, and makes no distinction between old and new, just good and bad. I thought we would never deviate on music, and I thought my ears were attuned to almost anything, as I love prog, but also punk, electron, jazz, soul, rock etc, in fact almost everything had some appeal..... until she started playing Bring Me The Horizon albums at full blast, and the vocals had me running screaming out of the house, saying TURN THAT SHIT OFF!! Believe me I tried to listen, but nooooo it bloody killed me

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Bring Me The Horizon
    Heh. I can see *that* genre of rock getting the "TURN THAT SHIT OFF!!" reaction. I'm not even 100% sure what the hell the genre actually is; "metalcore", deathcore", at one point not too long ago, the label "screamo" was being thrown around. There're so many, I can't count em.

I wonder about the lead vocalists for these bands down the road though. Our vocal heroes like Geddy Lee & Roger Daltrey have all suffered from a decline in ability, due to the usual factors, but none abused their voices the way *these* guys seem to. They are gonna suffer.

Well yeah, rock is over! It's dad music.

Well yeah, rock is over!
    As far as mainstream rock goes, I'd say yeah. What're we getting that passes for rock now?- Kings of Leon? Maroon 5? Train? Yeah, it's definitely beyond life support right now.

As far as mainstream rock goes, I'd say yeah. What're we getting that passes for rock now?- Kings of Leon? Maroon 5? Train? Yeah, it's definitely beyond life support right now.
    Nah, there's all kinds of "alternative" or "modern" rock bands, like Imagine Dragons, Neon Trees, The Killers, etc.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah, this was on The Colbert Report last night, and recently CONAN.... M.I.A.
    If you ignore the electronica backing, the song itself sounds distinctly like Bow Wow Wow. Only Bow Wow Wow had a little wit to them.