Thread: What about Roy Wood?

What about Roy Wood?

Why do you think he didn't see great success in the US? The potential sure was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Why do you think he didn't see great success in the US? The potential sure was there.
    He never really had great success as a solo artist anywhere.Some minor hits in the UK, thats all!

Apperently his xmas shows are fun!

Aside from what Rufus said above, I think there are certain artists that are "too English" to translate well to American audiences - Roy Wood, and even the hey-dey Move, are good examples: I can't imagine Americans singing "Here We Go 'Round The Lemon Tree" with any comprehending heart. Although UK listeners seem less audio-prejudice overall, Im sure this also works vice-versa: Im willing to bet The Eagles first two or three albums weren't huge sellers in the UK

He may very well have been "too this" or "too that", but more practically he simply didn't tour enough in the US. With some exceptions, only roadhogs made it here....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Some concession there, true.

Ron Wood? He was huge as a member of the Ston-- Oooooh, ROY Wood. Srry. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    He may very well have been "too this" or "too that", but more practically he simply didn't tour enough in the US. With some exceptions, only roadhogs made it here....
    I think that's your answer. The Move didn't tour here until their pop days were over. When they did tour (one brief one) I don't think anyone knew what to make of them. Their reputation was of a very British pop band, then they come here and play heavy with extended jams (see the recent double CD of that tour <http://www.amazon.com/Live-at-Fillmore-Move/dp/B006FZVZ6W/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1384964773&sr=8-11&keywords=the+move>; they were on fire). Too bad; I loved the Move and Roy in all his incarnations.

Wizzard may have been too over the top for many. Roy pretty much took glam to the extreme with the crazy costumes and wild show, and yet they played very American music; a tribute to the Beach Boys, Phil Spector, rockabilly, Neil Sedaka, etc.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Wizzard may have been too over the top for many. Roy pretty much took glam to the extreme with the crazy costumes and wild show, and yet they played very American music; a tribute to the Beach Boys, Phil Spector, rockabilly, Neil Sedaka, etc.
    I'll give you that: Wizzard certainly should have gone over with American audiences - I was mainly referring to The Move. Even so, The Move did have a substantial cult following here in the US. Rick Neilson has often credited The Move as a gigantic influence on Cheap Trick's music. I remember reading an old issue of either Guitar Player or Bass Player that Tom Petersson had even further stated that part of the concept behind the 12-String bass design was to deliver the fat recorded bass tones The Move had into both a live and recorded setting

It's hard to say. Looking back over the film of him/Wizzard and the music, they were certainly an eccentric act- heavy on pastiche. Even the two really big Wizzard hits come under that category, with that retro rock and roll feel and a big Phil Spector sound. Meanwhile, the album 'Wizzard Brew' has nothing really to do with the sound on the singles, some of that is really off the wall and Zappa-esque! I'd say he was almost a UK equivalent of someone like Todd Rundgren.

The Move were very popular in the UK as a singles act- virtually every single they put out was a sizeable hit. Alas, the albums never really caught the public imagination.