Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 71 of 71

Thread: Happy 40 Brain Salad Surgery

  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I listened to this again not too long ago. After all these years the album still sounds way ahead of it's time.
    Absolutely!!!

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mission Viejo, California
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Absolutely!!!
    Rufus is an ELP fan? Color me surprised. I figured you would hate Carl Palmer with a passion since he played with Asia, and we all know how you feel about drummers ruining a great band. LOL!!

  3. #53
    Of the big 5, 6 what-have-you ELP are probably my favorites and BSS is my favorite of theirs. A top 5 favorite album of mine for sure. I was just 10 when it was released, but didn't hear it until I was about 15. It's stood the test of time for me.

    Bill

  4. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Of the big 5, 6 what-have-you ELP are probably my favorites and BSS is my favorite of theirs. A top 5 favorite album of mine for sure. I was just 10 when it was released, but didn't hear it until I was about 15. It's stood the test of time for me.

    Bill
    They are my favorite as well, but I simply like the more intimate sound that comes from Trilogy, Tarkus, and the debut album. A bit too much reverb in Brain Salad Surgery.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Of the big 5, 6 what-have-you ELP are probably my favorites and BSS is my favorite of theirs. A top 5 favorite album of mine for sure. I was just 10 when it was released, but didn't hear it until I was about 15. It's stood the test of time for me.

    Bill
    Agree & although subjective it was rated as the best prog album of all time in Goldmine magazine a few years ago!

  6. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    52
    I simply like the more intimate sound that comes from Trilogy, Tarkus, and the debut album. A bit too much reverb in Brain Salad Surgery.
    I agree that the sound isn't as good as the earlier studio albums, but BSS didn't have Eddie Offord behind the board, that's the biggest difference. Offord was busy helping Yes make Tales from Topographic Oceans!
    ...or you could love

  7. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Agree & although subjective it was rated as the best prog album of all time in Goldmine magazine a few years ago!
    For me, what makes BSS perhaps the greatest ELP album ever is its sheer exuberance. The boys were on top of their game, knew it, and couldn't wait to convey it to the listener. In sum, one of the most exciting albums of the prog rock era, or indeed any era.

  8. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by progguy View Post
    For me, what makes BSS perhaps the greatest ELP album ever is its sheer exuberance. The boys were on top of their game, knew it, and couldn't wait to convey it to the listener. In sum, one of the most exciting albums of the prog rock era, or indeed any era.
    Indeed, from the debut to BSS, they were exuberant. From 1970-1974, a four to five year period, they were as strong as just about anyone, but a lot of bands were at their peak at this or closely-related periods.

  9. #59
    Perversity!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mission Viejo, California
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Perversity!
    Excuse me. Are you calling me a pervert?

  11. #61
    Member DaleGtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    30
    If any ELP fans are in the Chicago area March 1st Fanfare (phenomenal ELP tribute band) will be playing the entire Karn Evil 9 suite, as well as other great music.
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

  12. #62
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    775
    40 years later and it still sounds 40 years ahead of it's time. Amazing.

  13. #63
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,445
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    boy we're a bunch of old geezers!

    great album, but preferred Trilogy.. by a small margin.
    i did too but by a larger margin. Tarkus by a smaller margin. i think it was the bombastic keyboards that always turned me off to them. don't really even pull out their CD's anymore.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."


    Unevensong - Camel

  15. #65
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    1,481
    Hmm. As an exercise in "Oh, it's the anniversary of such-and-such. Better rehash and trot out the usual cliches," the article actually included a few tidbits I hadn't seen before. You can sort of spot the source material, but all in all a fairly balanced bit of ELP journalism. And that's saying something.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

  16. #66
    Trilogy wins for me by just a bit, but BSS is pretty doggone awesome in its own way. The "Karn Evil 9" suite left me gobsmacked the first time I heard it in its entirety.

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Hmm. As an exercise in "Oh, it's the anniversary of such-and-such. Better rehash and trot out the usual cliches," the article actually included a few tidbits I hadn't seen before. You can sort of spot the source material, but all in all a fairly balanced bit of ELP journalism. And that's saying something.
    I guess I had read the bit about Steve Howe before.. “I did jam with Hendrix,” Keith revealed, “but, quite honestly he was his own person, who had his own ideas and direction he wanted to go in, and I didn’t see how I could possibly complement what he was doing, or what he was trying to do. Maybe if he’d turned down a bit, who knows? I was very worried about guitar players because they always cranked it to eleven, but out of all guitar player possibilities I would have gone with Steve Howe, but Steve was with a band called Tomorrow and was contemplating Yes.

  18. #68
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,445
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Trilogy wins for me by just a bit, but BSS is pretty doggone awesome in its own way. The "Karn Evil 9" suite left me gobsmacked the first time I heard it in its entirety.
    They all sound killer on vinyl. Even the s/t. Talking about the original pressings.

  19. #69
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,896
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    They all sound killer on vinyl. Even the s/t. Talking about the original pressings.
    I was at the local record store yesterday and I was struck by how many old ELP albums turned up, and mostly in the New Arrivals bins--at least half a dozen copies of Trilogy; no Tarkus or BSS. There were a couple of the first album.
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    "Ide o zmes prog rocku, cosmic music, electronic music a classical music. Prekvapivá a dosť divoká hudobná jazda je vo výslednom efekte znamenitá." - Martin Slávik

  20. #70
    Member Rajaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    New Scotland, Canada
    Posts
    400
    When Brain Salad Surgery was released late 1973, so many things converged at the same time that created this monster masterpiece for Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

    Starting with the cover by HR Giger that not only was an extraordinary artwork statement and concept but also the sleeve design was unique (gatefold with a poster).

    ELP had the immeasurable value of adding Pete Sinfield's mystifying lyrics that contributed a special storyline layer to the AI vs mankind concept with a backdrop new form of baroque progressive sound.

    And the crown piece was the music itself that culminated with the most astonishing live show ever seen (I can say to be one of the lucky ones who saw this grand tour 73-74) that later spawned a triple live album that cemented ELP as the TOP live act of its generation.

    I can't remember how many times I have bought this album (maybe around 8 or 9 including picture disc) but the first release in vinyl will always be a milestone in my collection and personal rock archives.
    ELP - Montreal Forum Dec 73 - NY MSG July 77 - Bayou place Houston May 2010
    Pink Floyd - Olympic Stadium, July 77 - Yankee Stadium, NY Jun 94
    Jethro Tull - Montreal Forum, Jun 73 - LA Forum, Nov 78
    Rush - Montreal Forum, July 84 - Toyota Ctr, Houston, TX May 2015
    Genesis - Montreal Forum, December 74 - Pepsi Arena, Denver Oct 2007
    King Crimson - Spectrum Montreal, July 84 - Videotron Ctr Quebec July 2017
    UK & IQ at Progstock Festival - UCPAC Center - Rahway NJ - Oct 2018-19

  21. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    When Brain Salad Surgery was released late 1973, so many things converged at the same time that created this monster masterpiece for Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

    Starting with the cover by HR Giger that not only was an extraordinary artwork statement and concept but also the sleeve design was unique (gatefold with a poster).

    ELP had the immeasurable value of adding Pete Sinfield's mystifying lyrics that contributed a special storyline layer to the AI vs mankind concept with a backdrop new form of baroque progressive sound.

    And the crown piece was the music itself that culminated with the most astonishing live show ever seen (I can say to be one of the lucky ones who saw this grand tour 73-74) that later spawned a triple live album that cemented ELP as the TOP live act of its generation.

    I can't remember how many times I have bought this album (maybe around 8 or 9 including picture disc) but the first release in vinyl will always be a milestone in my collection and personal rock archives.
    I remember the first release with the BIG ELP when opened. My brother and I were big fans of them when BSS was released and then Welcome Back My Friends and Yessongs came along with the huge packaging. A monumental time in progressive rock history. Greg Lake’s Father Christmas came out then also with the line “eyes full of tinsel and fire.”The glory days of being young and in awe of rock music. Even though those times are long gone I still look back at those days in wonderment. Amazing how over 40 years later I can still put BSS on, listen to it and get transported back to my parents house with my brother and sister at Christmas time with my dads platform trains running around our Christmas tree and the smell of the real tree with tinsel and the red and green lights on it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •