Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy 40 Brain Salad Surgery

Happy 40 Brain Salad Surgery

Released 40 years ago today. If I want to listen to ELP these days, this is the album I choose.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's always been my favorite, apart from the section where it gets truly f*cked up for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Released 40 years ago today. If I want to listen to ELP these days, this is the album I choose.
    This and PaaE for me.....wow I feel old

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Great great record. Not a weak moment on it - one of Lake's best ballads and the novelty song works as a great palate cleanser before KE9 kicks in.

Wonderful.

Also, I've always thought it one of the most arresting album titles. I just checked Wikipedia - I'm ashamed to say I'd totally forgotten about Peter Sinfield's involvement with ELP. It must have been him who came up with the title, right?

Defo in the top 5 prog albums of all time IMO.
    The expanded edition still gets plenty of air time as the songs that didnt make the cut are strong!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Also, I've always thought it one of the most arresting album titles. I just checked Wikipedia - I'm ashamed to say I'd totally forgotten about Peter Sinfield's involvement with ELP. It must have been him who came up with the title, right?
    The title came from a lyric in the song "Right Place, Wrong Time" by Dr. John.

My favorite album by anyone ever. What a great package it was too: the music itself, the LP that had the cover on the label, the way the cover opened up to another Giger painting, the poster inside.

On my iPod I have the tracklisting as this:

1. Brain Salad Surgery
    2. Toccata
    3. Still...You Turn Me On
    4. Jerusalem
    5. Tiger in the Spotlight
    6. When The Apple Blossoms Bloom....
    7. Benny The Bouncer
    8. Karn Evil 9
    ...or you could love

boy we're a bunch of old geezers!

great album, but preferred Trilogy.. by a small margin.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    boy we're a bunch of old geezers!.
    I can relate to that!

A great album and a great live period for the band. Saw them twice on the BSS tour.

The promo single of the song Brain Salad Surgery is up for sale at SUNSET VINYL on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/shops/A1084H7M775V80
    Last edited by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof; 11-19-2013 at 07:14 PM.

I've got to pull this out and play it today. On vinyl, of course. It has been a while.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Uh, what is the song Brain Salad Surgery, also what's on the expanded edition? Don't think I was aware of an expanded edition. I have the CD that came out right before Rhino's edition. I think.

Uh, what is the song Brain Salad Surgery
    It was issued as a single, and later included on Works Vol. 2.

I finally picked this up on CD a couple of months back after only ever owned an LP copy, and yes I agree if you want to reach for ELP, its probably best to pick this one up. (Or Tarkus. Or Trilogy. Or the debut. ) The sony remaster with the bonus tracks is pretty nice, though I wont argue with anyone on the sound quality...), its nice to hear a few of the tracks that should have/could have been too.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Any idea as to the 5.1s for this and Trilogy are going to be released?

I think it's the Shout Factory release I have. Anyone know if that's remastered? Forget.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    boy we're a bunch of old geezers!

great album, but preferred Trilogy.. by a small margin.
    Trilogy is a better sounding recording and production, but musically, I always thought of BSS as their masterpiece. Heck, they're both great albums and my two favorites from ELP. Back in the day, I wore out the grooves on both albums.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Any idea as to the 5.1s for this and Trilogy are going to be released?
    The DVD-A of BSS from years back was very good- generally I thought the sound was nice and the mix was cool, but there were some alternate takes used and some mix decisions I didn't agree with. It'll be interesting to hear how the new one differs.

Don't buy any older expanded editions cause they just announced the new deluxe version for April 2014 new 5.1 and unreleased material apparently

Uh, what is the song Brain Salad Surgery, also what's on the expanded edition? Don't think I was aware of an expanded edition. I have the CD that came out right before Rhino's edition. I think.
    It was first available on an NME Flexi disc to promote the album & later turned up as B side. It was never released as an A side single"

The song BBS was released on a picture sleeve promotional single with Still...You Turn Me On as a b-side.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    The song BBS was released on a picture sleeve promotional single with Still...You Turn Me On as a b-side.
    It was the B side to Jerusalem! It was never released commercially as an A side.

Does anyone know if the DVD-A is the same 5:1 mix that later appeared on the Shout expanded BSS?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post

Does anyone know if the DVD-A is the same 5:1 mix that later appeared on the Shout expanded BSS?
    I think so... not positive though.

That's right. It was never released 'commercially'. The record company gave out free promotional picture sleeve singles with BSS as the a-side and Still as the b-side. My UK Manticore single of Jerusulem had that Apple Blossom thing as a b-side
    Last edited by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof; 11-20-2013 at 02:27 PM.