Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesis The Lamb released 11/18/1974

Genesis The Lamb released 11/18/1974

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is a double album by Genesis, released on November 18, 1974. It reached #41 on the Billboard 200 Top LP's chart, and #10 on the UK Albums chart. In 2012, the album ranked #5 in Rolling Stone's "Readers' Poll: Your Favorite Prog Rock Albums of All Time".

The album tells the surreal story of a half Puerto Rican juvenile delinquent named Rael living in New York City, who is swept underground to face bizarre creatures and nightmarish dangers in order to rescue his brother John. Several of the story's occurrences and places were derived from Peter Gabriel's dreams, and the protagonist's name is a play on his surname. In the 1991 documentary "Genesis: A History", Phil Collins remarked, "It's about a 'split personality' (referring to the live performance of "it."). In this context, Rael would believe he is looking for John but is actually looking for a missing part of himself. The individual songs also make satirical allusions to mythology, the sexual revolution, advertising, and consumerism.

It was their sixth studio album and the last album by the group to feature the involvement of lead singer Peter Gabriel. He was absent from the album's writing and rehearsal sessions due to personal problems – his first wife was having difficulties with her first pregnancy. For this reason, most of the music was written by Tony Banks, Phil Collins, and Mike Rutherford, with some contribution from Steve Hackett and, at first, virtually none from Gabriel. Gabriel, for his part, insisted on writing the story and all the lyrics himself, which caused friction, in particular because Rutherford had originally suggested another project for the band – an album based on Antoine de Saint Exupéry's The Little Prince. Banks and Rutherford did write the words for "The Light Dies Down on Broadway", as Gabriel could not come up with a linking piece between "Ravine" and "Riding the Scree". In addition, when Gabriel put lyrics to a piece of music written by one of the other band members (such as Banks' "The Lamia" and Hackett's "Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthetist") the composer would often insist on adjusting the lyrics to better fit the music, an action Gabriel did not take kindly to. Gabriel's then-wife Jill noted that he wrote the main melody for "The Carpet Crawlers", of which he is especially proud. Tracks like "Anyway" and "Lilywhite Lilith" were developed from earlier unused 1969 compositions by the band ("Frustration" and "The Light" respectively) which were likely to have been group efforts.

During the album's pre-production, Gabriel was contacted by filmmaker William Friedkin (at the time enjoying success with The Exorcist), about a possible film project after Friedkin read Gabriel's short story on the sleeve of the Genesis Live album. Despite his bandmates' disapproval, Gabriel left them to work on some early script drafts. However, the project came to nothing (Friedkin instead working with Tangerine Dream to score his next film, Sorcerer), and Gabriel returned to the band.

REVIEW
    by Stephen Thomas Erlewine, allmusic
    Given all the overt literary references of Selling England by the Pound, along with their taste for epic suites such as "Supper's Ready," it was only a matter of time before Genesis attempted a full-fledged concept album, and 1974's The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway was a massive rock opera: the winding, wielding story of a Puerto Rican hustler name Rael making his way in New York City. Peter Gabriel made some tentative moves toward developing this story into a movie with William Friedkin but it never took off, perhaps it's just as well; even with the lengthy libretto included with the album, the story never makes sense. But just because the story is rather impenetrable doesn't mean that the album is as well, because it is a forceful, imaginative piece of work that showcases the original Genesis lineup at a peak. Even if the story is rather hard to piece together, the album is set up in a remarkable fashion, with the first LP being devoted to pop-oriented rock songs and the second being largely devoted to instrumentals. This means that The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway contains both Genesis' most immediate music to date and its most elliptical. Depending on a listener's taste, they may gravitate toward the first LP with its tight collection of ten rock songs, or the nightmarish landscapes of the second, where Rael descends into darkness and ultimately redemption (or so it would seem), but there's little question that the first album is far more direct than the second and it contains a number of masterpieces, from the opening fanfare of the title song to the surging "In the Cage," from the frightening "Back in NYC" to the soothing conclusion "The Carpet Crawlers." In retrospect, this first LP plays a bit more like the first Gabriel solo album than the final Genesis album, but there's also little question that the band helps form and shape this music (with Brian Eno adding extra coloring on occasion), while Genesis shines as a group shines on the impressionistic second half. In every way, it's a considerable, lasting achievement and it's little wonder that Peter Gabriel had to leave the band after this record: they had gone as far as they could go together, and could never top this extraordinary album.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe so, but they make several good post Gabriel albums too.

I would have loved to have seen a film made about this album. It's always been a surreal mystery to me. I'm sure my favorite songs on it have shifted throughout the years, but I always enjoy hearing it when I put it on.

Like a vintage wine! If any album has improved with age its The Lamb. I still think it has some filler but name a concept album that hasn't?

Blocking out next November for the 40th anniversary reunion tour.

Meanwhile, today is the 35th anniversary of...

Still amongst my favorite albums (playing it now in honor, and weird that i woke up with Back In NYC in my head)...sort of irked by the "story makes no sense" bits...who cares, isn't that what makes it INTERESTING?

This would be fun to adapt...hmmm.

I re watched the interviews on the 5.1 about the lamb. Gabriel still feels pissed about how the band treated him, and I don't blame him. His kid was dying and "the band" was putting pressure on him to be more involved in the album. I bet it was Tony who was being a cold prick. I watched the selling England one too. There seems to be tension between Banks and Gabriel.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    I re watched the interviews on the 5.1 about the lamb. Gabriel still feels pissed about how the band treated him, and I don't blame him. His kid was dying and "the band" was putting pressure on him to be more involved in the album. I bet it was Tony who was being a cold prick. I watched the selling England one too. There seems to be tension between Banks and Gabriel.
    That was a huge issue for him at the time, and rightfully so, but it's been long put to bed since the rest of the band had children. None of them were understanding about what PG was going through, not just Banks. And yes, while Pete and Tony were best friends, they were often at each other's throats. Apparently a large percentage of the musical arguments you often hear about were between the two of them, with Rutherford occasionally being involved as well. Banks even used to have it out with Pete's wife Jill on occasion. He was a frustrated, difficult young man, and I suspect that had a lot to do with the fantastic music he often came up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Still amongst my favorite albums (playing it now in honor
    Love Beach?!

(Kidding.) :P
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

FFFFF that hah.

Oh, what was the Banks and Jill thing about? I never heard that.

I knew Ant Philips had a crush on Jill and the Ant penned Visions of Angles is about Her.

Whatever "behind the music'" things were going on with the band, they made an incredible double album! For me, TLLDoB is one of the brightest gems from prog's heyday.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Whatever "behind the music'" things were going on with the band, they made an incredible double album! For me, TLLDoB is one of the brightest gems from prog's heyday.

Yeah! What he said.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yeah! What he said.
    That's what Gabriel said too. Despite all the miserable stuff that was happening, they made their best album.

Banned
    The Lamb on the Limb collaboration for 2014:
    Dave Kerzner and Tony Banks - Keyboards, Synth and programming
    NDV - Drums
    Steve Hackett - Guitar
    Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins - Vocals

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The Lamb on the Limb collaboration for 2014:
    Dave Kerzner and Tony Banks - Keyboards, Synth and programming
    NDV - Drums
    Steve Hackett - Guitar
    Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins - Vocals

no bass? that truly is progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Oh, what was the Banks and Jill thing about? I never heard that.
    I don't know the specifics of that, just that it happened. Obviously they knew each other quite well too.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Headly Grange jamming (nascent Cage/Back in NYC around 3:45. Sounds like In The Cage and Back in NYC were part of the same song)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    no bass? that truly is progressive.
    Well the airplane I was on turned the internet off before I could edit that. Rutherford would be my first choice, but my second could be better, Greg Spawton who plays with Big Big Train.

IMO the worst album Genesis ever made. I'd listen to Calling All Stations before this, any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    IMO the worst album Genesis ever made. I'd listen to Calling All Stations before this, any day of the week.
    Oooof - that's a bit much! The Lamb is not my favourite Genesis album by a long shot, but that's below the belt!

I dunno, as mediocre and unexciting and as full of unrealized potential as CAS is, it isn't terrible. A lot of "Lamb," to me, is unlistenable. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I just don't really "get" this one. I mean, I "get" the story, I "get" where he's coming from ... I just don't *feel* it. So much of it just leaves me cold. Not just the filler, either, but the songs others love, like the title track, and "Carpet Crawlers." Meh. I think it just comes back to, I just don't like most of Peter Gabriel's narratives. That said, I like the live cuts that are included in the box set bonus tracks (e.g., the "Fly" suite, and "Anyway"), and I do like "Back in NYC". Shrug.
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by arise_shine View Post
    I dunno, as mediocre and unexciting and as full of unrealized potential as CAS is, it isn't terrible. A lot of "Lamb," to me, is unlistenable. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I just don't really "get" this one. I mean, I "get" the story, I "get" where he's coming from ... I just don't *feel* it. So much of it just leaves me cold. Not just the filler, either, but the songs others love, like the title track, and "Carpet Crawlers." Meh. I think it just comes back to, I just don't like most of Peter Gabriel's narratives.
    I agree 100% with every single point you made.

[QUOTE=arise_shine;185110]I dunno, as mediocre and unexciting and as full of unrealized potential as CAS is, it isn't terrible. A lot of "Lamb," to me, is unlistenable. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I just don't really "get" this one. I mean, I "get" the story, I "get" where he's coming from ... I just don't *feel* it. So much of it just leaves me cold. Not just the filler, either, but the songs others love, like the title track, and "Carpet Crawlers." Meh. I think it just comes back to, I just don't like most of Peter Gabriel's narratives. That said, I like the live cuts that are included in the box set bonus tracks (e.g., the "Fly" suite, and "Anyway"), and I do like "Back in NYC". Shrug.[/QUOTE

I dont really get the story but individually the songs lyrics are quite clever in creating imagery!
    One song musically i have never understood the love for is The Lamia?

There's so much great music I love to cover, so much music that was written during that first massive progressive rock period from 69 to 79... it's difficult to place things in an order really. Albums like Close to the Edge or Animals or any of the incredible work of Gentle Giant.... Zappa's One Size Fits All album was just brilliant..... ! Even Quadrophenia is one incredible piece of work.... I have got to say everytime I run through a piece from The Lamb and sing work like The Lamia or basically anything off that album... I have got to say this album is the most amazing and in my mind the best musical work done in rock history.... seriously.... Now I know that's quite a claim but my god how each song can stand on its own.... but at the same time capture the feel of the previous piece and flow nicly into the next and how the story takes you on a sureal ride through something that seems like an acid trip.... and is full of inuendo's about the band and the situation they were all in... Gabriel's mention of so many sexual encounters... this is all tied in with his new life and creating a child... from beginning to end I have no selections I feel compeled to skip through... even the screwy noises are fun... And Real is like an alter ego... Fantastic work...

Some of the most "beautiful" songs ever written in prog are contained in this work ... some of the most complex, and some of the most memorable. yes there are others that compare... but for overall double lenght album work... this is the shit.!
    As a musician the work is all difficult to recreate, and as a vocalist Gabriel is all over the place... He taxes every talent I have to get through this thing. BINYC is one powerful vocal piece. most listeners just hear a cool song... Try doing any of this album... Try and Sing the Lamia as well... totally different feel and style...

Anyway.... read on... just babblin....
    Last edited by Classic Progressive; 11-19-2013 at 06:43 PM.