Thread: Harnessing PE's Collective Knowledge of Italian

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Harnessing PE's Collective Knowledge of Italian

What does "Tetrazzini" mean?

Just kidding. I was wondering if ItalProgGuy (did I get that right?) or anyone else here who understands Italian, might be able to post some explanations of what certain Italian prog albums are about. Not talking translating lyrics (although feel free if you want), more just the themes of certain albums if there is a theme, and perhaps help with some titles and such.

To start (if there are any takers), what's the basic story behind Le Orme's "Felona e Sorona?" I get (I think) that it has something to do with two planets. It always reminds me somewhat of Jose Cid's "10,000 Anos Depois Venus y Marte." It has that longing, 70s, sci-fi quality. But what else can you tell me about it?

Next, the La Maschera di Cera album "Lux Ade." What does that title mean? Any kind of a theme to the lyrics on this album?

Maybe not relevant to you, but I've been told that Stormy Six's lyrics are essentially untranslatable: They're very political and written in some local dialect - Italy evidently has quite a large number of those - and it's frequently impossible to simultaneously render both the words and the point of those words into any other language. Possibly even into "standard" Italian.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    To start (if there are any takers), what's the basic story behind Le Orme's "Felona e Sorona?" I get (I think) that it has something to do with two planets. It always reminds me somewhat of Jose Cid's "10,000 Anos Depois Venus y Marte." It has that longing, 70s, sci-fi quality. But what else can you tell me about it?
    Yes, two planets, one of which is beautiful and vibrant, and the other gloomy and miserable, which eventually trade places. Or something like that, that's the basic gist of it if my memory serves. Now, ask me about Uomo Di Pezza and I just think "Extra cheese, pepperoni and green olives".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Is the English language version of Felona and Sorona available on CD?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is the English language version of Felona and Sorona available on CD?
    Yes, a couple of years ago Universal released a 2-disc digipak with both versions.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes, two planets, one of which is beautiful and vibrant, and the other gloomy and miserable, which eventually trade places.
    They don't trade places...God takes pity on the miserable planet Sorona and makes it as happy as Felona. But since they are no longer in equilibrium, both planets are immediately annihilated. Good going, God.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    They don't trade places...God takes pity on the miserable planet Sorona and makes it as happy as Felona. But since they are no longer in equilibrium, both planets are immediately annihilated. Good going, God.
    Yeah, well, it's the Italian God.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes, a couple of years ago Universal released a 2-disc digipak with both versions.
    Cool. But are the English vocals painful to listen to?

no.