Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Psychedelic doom anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    The lines are quite thin indeed and it's true that repeated listens can enable one to distinguish the genres. I would say that stoner is usually more upbeat, and with a stronger late 80s traditional metal - hardcore and Sabbath meet Mountain meet MC5 stuff. Hints of mid 80s desert rock are also present. Hash, the drug of choice.

Acid/psych doom is generally slower, taking equal influences from first 4 Black Sabbath and NWoBHM (as far as production values are concerned). Often blended with bluesy influences, hinting at spacerock and acid rock jamming, the track lengths are usually longer that your normal stonner rock. Sometimes an early death metal vibe creeps in. There's 60s biker imagery and cheap horror movies aesthetics. Occult thematology in the lyrics is the norm. Hash the drug of choice as well but there's also LSD blotters involved...

The origins when both genres were deep underground: stoner rock is american / psych doom british.
    Thanks muchly for that Spacey. That's exactly how I see it too.
    And I meant to say earlier but forgot to say exactly what you said in your last sentence - Stoner = US / Psych doom = UK.
    Last edited by PeterG; 11-18-2013 at 03:18 PM.

The only band I can think of that did both styles are Cathedral. They did an almost proper stoner album in "Supernatural Birth Machine".
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Thanks muchly for that Spacey. That's exactly how I see it too.
    And I meant to say earlier but forgot to say exactly what you said in your last sentence - Stoner = US / Psych doom = UK.
    Thank you guys...I guess I may give it another try... so far my experience was that I would like song or two (e.g. Youtube bits) but then when I bought some albums based on these threads I found them overall quite dissapointing ...main complain is that most of them sounded very derivative to the hard rock music of 70s...

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    ...main complain is that most of them sounded very derivative to the hard rock music of 70s...
    That's kind of the point to recreate 60s and 70s hard rock, so it might simply be that it isn't a style for you.

Where do the Hidden Masters fit which Genre?

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    Where do the Hidden Masters fit which Genre?
    They do not fit in my opinion. They are a straight psychedelic retro band. Also, ADMIRAL SIR CLOUDESLEY SHOVELL don't fit as well; being plain retro heavies.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    ...main complain is that most of them sounded very derivative to the hard rock music of 70s...

That's kind of the point to recreate 60s and 70s hard rock, so it might simply be that it isn't a style for you.
    both work for me.