Thread: Quick iTunes question

Quick iTunes question

Does anyone know how to PREVENT synching iTunes store purchases automatically on to my new 5s? These purchases are not checked, yet they appeared on the phone when I synched.

Thx in advance

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

It should be a setting on your ITunes when you dock with your computer. Click on the device once it's there and then I believe it's on the first page.

Hmmm...dont think so, the only thing checked on that first page is:

"Automatically synch when this iPhone is connected"

"Synch only checked songs and videos"

best
    Michael

Just figured it out...you have to go into the settings on the device itself and prevent automatic downloads of store (and app purchases if so desired). Tricky dicky apple people I tell ya.

best
    Michael

OK, glad you figured it out. I was waiting to get back to my desk tonight...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    While we're on the subject of iPhones, anyone know of a good app that allows you to browse the files on your iPhone? I downloaded one, but you had to ADD to it the files and folders you wanted to see. WTF? Just show me what's there!!!

The iOS file system is very tightly sandboxed. Apps normally can't see anything above their own folder, so I'm not sure how the app you refer to could even see files that you "add" to it. (Unless you "add" files in iTunes, from your host computer.)

It is frustrating, as there are file types that are commonly used by many apps, and it certainly puts harsh limits on collaboration as well as file sharing. But I do understand Apple's reason (security). For a system that's mostly used for consumption, I'm mostly ok with that. I wouldn't tolerate in a work environment, including most content creation.
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MissKittysMom View Post
    The iOS file system is very tightly sandboxed. Apps normally can't see anything above their own folder, so I'm not sure how the app you refer to could even see files that you "add" to it. (Unless you "add" files in iTunes, from your host computer.)

It is frustrating, as there are file types that are commonly used by many apps, and it certainly puts harsh limits on collaboration as well as file sharing. But I do understand Apple's reason (security). For a system that's mostly used for consumption, I'm mostly ok with that. I wouldn't tolerate in a work environment, including most content creation.
    Sorry, I'm new to the iPhone (and also recently bought a MacBook Air), for the most part. So there's no way for me to store documents and other files (besides music files) on the phone? Or do I have to use iTunes (which would be insane)?

As someone who used to use earlier Apple Macs a lot (Mac SE mostly), I'm kind of astounded at how different Apple and PC have become. Using PCs is second nature to me, and using Apple stuff is largely like using alien technology. rcarleburg was saying how iTunes makes perfect sense, when I mentioned in another thread that it seems totally non-intuitive to me. After a few more stabs at iTunes, it still makes no sense to me - neither does the whole idea of syncing. I just can't get my mind around how syncing works and what I'm expected to do to move music around between my PC, the MacBook, the iPhone, etc. Very frustrating.

If someone can recommend an article or book that explains the whole concept of syncing, how you can manage music on multiple devices using iTunes, etc. I'd love some recommendations.

I learned to use MS Word by reading a book, and I feel like I need to do the same just to manage my music files with these new devices, while I had no problems doing it with a PC and Android.

I have found that the successive upgrade of iTunes are getting less and less intuitive, and I have been with this technology since the start.

I sync multiple devices to my one Mac (various iPods, iPads and iPhones) and all pull different music from the same source. When you connect, go to the music tab in your iPhone's (or other device) browser (this is within iTunes on the Mac not on the device) and you can select which items to sync... it can be playlists, albums, genres, artists etc. You then need to manage by a checkbox for those you wish to sync. This can be time consuming, and so I have developed different strategies for different devices.

I have made a smart playlist for every year, and from this I have made normal (not smart!) playlists for every year too, into which I pull a subset of my favourites e.g. a top 10 albums. I then can sync individual years to my iPhone depending on what I fancy that week. I also have best of playlists by genre, so I can major on prog one week, electronica the next, fusion the week after etc. It takes a little time setting these up, and making sure your albums have the year of release correct, but it works a dream after that. I also have a recent purchases list as this is an always want to hear item across my devices.

I use my iPhone for most listening, but do have an old iPod in the car and a 160 gig in my dock by the stereo, and on this latter I use the album tick box and not playlists or genres, so as to have a huge stack of my all time favourites across many genres and ages.

Hope that helps!

I'm an Apple fan boy and I will admit, iTunes has gone way beyond it's original "mission" and it's become quite complicated. It is difficult to use iTunes to put some music on your phone that you don't want on an old iPod and then there's your wife or kids phone, etc. I throw all my music on a small USB external drive and we all have our own iTunes libraries "looking" at all the music on that drive rather than having various incarnations of the same files. That said I do like the newer version of the music player in iOS7. I'm somewhat savvy but things come up that stump me all the time.