Thread: Sketches Of Hackett: The Authorised Steve Hackett Biography 2012 edition

Sketches Of Hackett: The Authorised Steve Hackett Biography 2012 edition

I've wanted this book for a long while but the shipping costs from the UK made it insanely expensive (likewise with that beautiful VDGG book that's been around for years now). So I was surprised recently to see it on amazon as a new, updated paperback edition for twenty bucks! Needless to say, I ordered it straight away, and it's a mighty fine read. Really enjoyed it, and makes a nice addition to the music section of the bookshelf. Would make a great Christmas present too! Anyway, just thought I'd fill you guys in, in case you didn't know about it:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1908...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(seems to have gone up five bucks.)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I got this when it first came out along with the free DVD interview. it's very informative, but Hewitt's style of writing is very dry and doesn't engage the reader, although I am grateful that he wrote it as a lot of the info has not been published elsewhere. As a result, it's one to dip into rather than immerse yourself in. I'm looking forward to Steve's own autobiography which he started working on a couple of years ago, although the GR project has probably meant that it will be a while before it is ready for publishing.

Quote Originally Posted by martiprog View Post
    it's very informative, but Hewitt's style of writing is very dry and doesn't engage the reader, although I am grateful that he wrote it as a lot of the info has not been published elsewhere.
    I agree, the actual writing of it could have been better (and with fewer typos) but like you said, there are plenty of stories I had not heard before in 26 years of rabid Genesis fandom. For example, Phil telling Steve how much he liked "Please Don't Touch" after it was released and saying "It didn't sound like that when we rehearsed it"!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^I have read that one a few times over the years.

Some years ago I picked up a copy of Alan Hewitt's 'Opening The Musical Box' book. I'd agree on the writing style, I'm not sure I've ever read a book about Genesis which is that great on that front, but there's a wealth of information in it- every release, every gig, every TV appearance that they've ever done (including solo projects) up to 2000. There's quite a bit about Steve Hackett's work in that too.

The other thing with Genesis that doesn't help writers, there's almost nothing in the way of scandal! They've generally conducted themselves with dignity throughout their career.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Some years ago I picked up a copy of Alan Hewitt's 'Opening The Musical Box' book.
    Yes, I have that and it's a good one too, at least as a reference book. One of my favourites is though is called "Play Me My Song", which details every known PG-era bootleg recording. Boring for some people, perhaps, but I've actually sat and read the thing and found it most enjoyable. Being a live Genesis collector for many years makes a big difference, I'd wager.

None of these books reach the heights of the beautiful photography found in the Gallo book (and subsequent reprints) but I enjoy them all for what they are.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Got a signed copy at the merch table at Montreal show a couple of months back.

The book got really bad reviews on amazon.co.uk. When was the first edition published? The reviews are from 2009-2012.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent