Thread: Windows 8

Windows 8

I know there was a thread on this , but I cant find it. Mentioned in that thread was that there was a way to get windows 8 to look and act like the traditional XP. Is this easy to do, and if anyone has done so are the results acceptable? I really dont want my laptop to look like a smart phone. Im lucky I learned what I have computor-wise to this point, if I end up replacing my current machine I'de like the transition to not involve relearning everything. My frustration factor is high when it comes to computors.

Check out Start8, which restores the old start button. There's many other tips in that old thread. I'm liking it much better after getting the 8.1 update.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Start8 gives you the old start button and menu, and Skip Metro Suite does just that -- when you start your computer, it bypasses all that Metro rubbish and takes you right to the desktop.

Thanks for finding old thread. I need to find someone with a windows 8 machine and try a hands on. Costco has some nice deals on Toshiba laptops,my XP is really slow and infected with popups that I cant get rid of. Which I got tryin to download Amazon Cloud software. Thanks Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I know there was a thread on this , but I cant find it. Mentioned in that thread was that there was a way to get windows 8 to look and act like the traditional XP. Is this easy to do, and if anyone has done so are the results acceptable?
    Get Classic Shell. I've installed it on a friend's laptop and she told me that the results were better than just acceptable...

http://www.classicshell.net
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Maybe a scan with malwarebytes.org will make ypur XP run faster. Its basicly free.
    If you still have the XP disc, run a repair. you wont loose any data.

heres what ended up happening.As far as the old XP laptop with the popup virus, with my Norton Anti-virus program came a live help option. After 3 shots with techs from the Phillipins (the island nation I cant spell) taking over the computor remotly ,the virus was purged. In the meantime I bought a fairly inexpensive Windows 7 laptop from Costco. Also in a Black Friday lapse of reason I picked up a 8" Dell Tablet with a Windows 8 OS and Office 2013, figuring I could try win8 without a full commitment. No real complaints with win8.1 other than its differant and requires some relearning. But so far Im basically web surfing and email checking. But Im not into the whole tablet thing. I dont like the virtual keyboard. At 8" the tablet is to small, its difficult to see web pages with out expanding the page, which crops out sometimes key portions of the page. I much prefer the laptop touchpad mouse interface.
    Also, I havnt tried to run programs I use regularly on the win8.1 OS yet, and might never on the tablet, so I cant comment on compatability of win8 with older software, if anyone does have insight on this,please share.
    So Im up and running again , now with a choice of laptops and OS and even a tablet. Eventually I will try to upgrade the XP OS to Vista or Win7. I dont reget the purchase of the new laptop,made before the old one had its issues resolved,as the old one is pretty beatup, and its showing its age. Im still tempted to try a win8 laptop but I've shot my finacial load for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    But Im not into the whole tablet thing. I dont like the virtual keyboard. At 8" the tablet is to small, its difficult to see web pages with out expanding the page, which crops out sometimes key portions of the page. I much prefer the laptop touchpad mouse interface.
    I'm with you, although I have both a 8" and 11" - I reach for the 15" laptop every time

The main reason I wanted the 8" originally was to be a remote for my music sever, and for this it was worth the price of admission, see below, the cover art is almost CD size

20131215_123034.jpg

This is really all I use it for

BG
    Last edited by Brian Griffin; 12-15-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."