Thread: Brief Musical Box article

Brief Musical Box article

http://progsheet1.hypermart.net/srbtp.html

A short preview piece with a few quotes from Sebastien Lamothe. Farewell tour, by the way.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Yet another fantastic tour by The Musical Box. I caught the show on Wednesday in Pittsburgh and on Thursday in Cleveland. Will be seeing them again tomorrow night in Alexandria and next Friday in Glenside. Please support this band. They are worth every penny. I did not know that this is their last tour. Haven't the been saying that for a few years now?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just saw the show tonight, in Tarrytown, NY, with my 14 YO son. Great show - did not know it was the last tour! At least my son got to see them 3 or 4 times (the shows had an effect on him), and me at least one or two more. A worthy project! Bravo!

Dammit! I didn't even know they were on tour, let alone coming to Cleveland! So was it the white room or black room show that they did? And it's the last tour too?! Shit!

Yeah I know its their farewell tour but somehow I have the feeling we'll be hearing from them again.

To GuitarGeek, they played Thursday, 11/14 at The State Theater at Playhouse Square. That was one of the shows that I attended. It was the white show. Not sure if they are doing any black shows this tour but they are doing a few Foxtrot shows. Saw that show in Alexandria on 11/17. I read somewhere that 2015 will be their last tour which means they have two more tours. Hopefully that is true. They have way too much invested in these shows to throw in the towel.

Are they coming to the UK again?

I've seen TMB several times. Although they are close to note perfect, I find they lack passion.

They were more passionate about it 10-15 years ago. Back then they rarely if ever played outside Montreal. The day they stopped playing clubs here and wanted to go arena on us is the day I stopped supporting them. Are Denis and Martin still in the band?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    They were more passionate about it 10-15 years ago. Back then they rarely if ever played outside Montreal. The day they stopped playing clubs here and wanted to go arena on us is the day I stopped supporting them. Are Denis and Martin still in the band?
    Arena? The place I saw them last Saturday is a pretty intimate theater. Personally, I'm glad they've been able to tour and hopefully make a living. Otherwise, my son and I wouldn't have had the chance to see them. I'm always happy to support them. They seemed to be performing passionately to me, but maybe they were different back before you stopped supporting them. But if you haven't seen them since then, how to you know?

Tarrytown Music Hall

The only other venue I've seen them play in is on a community college campus in NYC, still fairly intimate:

Tribeca Performing Arts Center (Borough of Manhattan Community College)
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-25-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Are Denis and Martin still in the band?
    Denis Gagnon yes Denis Champoux No

No Martin Levac either, he's busy doing his Phil Collins shows.

DtB

Jed, here in Montreal they stopped booking venues like the one you are showing. The last time I saw them they booked the Bell Center and created a concert bowl. After seeing them a dozen times at Le Spectrum (RIP) it just wasn't the same. I remember paying 15.00-20.00 to see them back in the late 90s. Last time I went I had a 70.00-seat and I was way in the back!

P-A-S-S.

Jed, here in Montreal they stopped booking venues like the one you are showing. The last time I saw them they booked the Bell Center and created a concert bowl. After seeing them a dozen times at Le Spectrum (RIP) it just wasn't the same. I remember paying 15.00-20.00 to see them back in the late 90s. Last time I went I had a 70.00-seat and I was way in the back!

P-A-S-S.
    Our tickets last Saturday were $45, not too bad. We were in the 3rd row of the balcony though, so orchestra was probably closer to $75. Yeah, I wouldn't enjoy them as much in a large venue like that. I think part of the whole idea of seeing them is to imagine somewhat that you're in an audience back in 1973 or whenever - I can see that'd be very hard to do if you're in an arena.

It was a freezing night Saturday, so my son and I had a nice meal just down the block, then we went into the theater to be warm, I had a couple glasses of wine, and we settled in to enjoy the show. Cozy!

Was there on Sat night too! AMAZING SHOW as always! These guys never disappoint! If it IS their farewell tour that is so sad! Say it ain't so! Can't wait to see them this weekend at Westbury!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think it's about time to fold. What an incredible run of successful shows around the world. I first saw them in 93 at the Spectrum in Montreal and countless times since. I was given a backstage tour during the Lamb debut in Montreal and had a chance to sit behind their drum kit.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The venues I saw them at vary slightly in size from Massey Hall to the Danforth Music Hall to the Oakville Performing Arts centre... certainly no arenas! I'm surprised they played the Bell Centre.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The venues I saw them at vary slightly in size from Massey Hall to the Danforth Music Hall to the Oakville Performing Arts centre... certainly no arenas! I'm surprised they played the Bell Centre.
    The first time I saw them, in 2003, I think, was in a place in Buffalo called The Tralf, which was basically an oversized club (or maybe a small theater, depending how you look at it).

The I saw them at whichever NEARfest where they were the pre-show. I think that 2004, the year that NEARfest first went back to Bethlehem. That's, what? 1000 seats, and pretty much a conventional hall/theater.

Then the first time I saw them do The Lamb was a couple years after that, I think the first time they came to Cleveland, and they played at the Allen Theater, which hadn't hosted rock concerts in decades. I gather they were trying to play in the same venues that Genesis played, I guess wherever possible.

Then the last couple times I saw them was at the Palace Theater. I think both that and the Allen are like around 3000-5000 seat venues, about the size of a place like Radio City Music Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It wasn't the full Bell Centre, of course. The stage was on the blue line closest to the seats facing the stage, so 2/3 of the place were not being used. They created a concert bowl for maybe 5000 to 8000 people? It seemed pretty full, but Montreal always did love its trib bands. Anyway, I was sitting way back in the seats. I think the only people who got good sound and visuals were on the ice. My tickets was at leAST 60.00 TO 70.00. not WORTH it, and the last TMB show I saw. This probably dates back to appr 2005.

Is there a TMB gig history somewhere? I'm not sure I've ever seen them do their Foxtrot show (and I didn't see the ATOTT show either) so I'd love to see those ones.
    It's possible I saw Foxtrot, I'm just not sure. That's why I want to see a gig history.

It wasn't the full Bell Centre, of course. The stage was on the blue line closest to the seats facing the stage, so 2/3 of the place were not being used. They created a concert bowl for maybe 5000 to 8000 people? It seemed pretty full, but Montreal always did love its trib bands. Anyway, I was sitting way back in the seats. I think the only people who got good sound and visuals were on the ice. My tickets was at leAST 60.00 TO 70.00. not WORTH it, and the last TMB show I saw. This probably dates back to appr 2005.
    The next time they play there, attendees are going to be limited to four feet in height.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is there a TMB gig history somewhere? I'm not sure I've ever seen them do their Foxtrot show (and I didn't see the ATOTT show either) so I'd love to see those ones.
    It's possible I saw Foxtrot, I'm just not sure. That's why I want to see a gig history.
    Yes gig history would be very interesting to see! I saw them way back when in Atlantic City and would love to see the date and year of that show. That was my first time seeing TMB. What a memorable night!

To me the Foxtrot show is the least enjoyeable. Sure , you get Can-Utility, but you're missing all the stuff off SEBTP.

I once heard that you could commission a "Trespass" show but I think that was just so much urban myth...or has anyone ever seen one? I've seen all the others. Black Show only once, the others several times.

To me the Foxtrot show is the least enjoyeable. Sure , you get Can-Utility, but you're missing all the stuff off SEBTP.
    Do they do Get 'em Out By Friday?

BTW, Saturday after getting home, I watched that French footage from the Genesis box set, on the SEBTP DVD.
    It was interesting to watch all that right after seeing TMB.

Saw them when they came to SF to do the Lamb, great show.

I once heard that you could commission a "Trespass" show but I think that was just so much urban myth...or has anyone ever seen one? I've seen all the others. Black Show only once, the others several times.
    I liked the Foxtrot show a lot for the set list, but nothing beats the Selling England show IMO, for the costumes and visuals.

Not sure what a Trespass show would entail exactly, but I saw The Watch just over a year ago, and this was the set list for that show:

The Watch
    Goddess
    The Fountain Of Salmacis
    Seven Stones
    Let Us Now Make Love
    The Musical Box
    The Return Of The Giant Hogweed
    Something Wrong/Entangled
    Dance On A Volcano
    Down And Out (segued into All In A Mouse's Night closing section)
    Eleventh Earl Of Mar
    One For The Vine

Encore:

The Fisherman
    Los Endos
    The Knife
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***