Thread: Roy Harper - HQ and Stormcock remasters

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Roy Harper - HQ and Stormcock remasters

Note: Please no posts about recent Roy Harper news as per the moderators' wishes - it simply got me looking at his webpage, and I might upgrade to these remasters. Let's just discuss the music and specific releases. Thanks

So I have the original Science Friction releases of HQ and Stormcock, and am wondering how necessary it is to obtain these reissues. The Science Friction HQ release was in fairly elaborate (though daft) packaging, so I've always been hesitant to get the remaster. Though apparently it's been "re-sculpted" too, so...?

The Science Friction Stormcock is in regular old Jewel Case packaging, so a nice digibook release is tempting. And how much better does it sound?

Is the "new" packaging nice? How about the new photos and words - those may be crucial as well.

Feel free to point me toward other reviews of the reissues if there are any illuminating ones.

Thanks.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-15-2013 at 03:39 PM.

My mind is boggling.This may be the time to support Roy.

and please do not pick up word "little" woman out of the context.

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    My mind is boggling.
    Yeah, but to be fair, it was boggling before too.

Replies to my questions only, please!

Censored
    Last edited by daven; 11-15-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks - I'd appreciate it if you'd read the initial post, and delete your post above.

If not, mods - feel free to delete this thread. I also have a message in to Stormcock - the Roy Harper email list so I'm sure I'll get opinions from people there.

No need to delete the thread.You just need hit of booze.

But wasn't this the series with the mini-LP fold-out CD sleeve with extensive liner notes, pics and stuff? That's the Stormcock edition that *I'VE* got, I know that much.

And what's the deal with the "censorship" thing?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    But wasn't this the series with the mini-LP fold-out CD sleeve with extensive liner notes, pics and stuff? That's the Stormcock edition that *I'VE* got, I know that much.

And what's the deal with the "censorship" thing?
    Yeah, those are probably the remasters that you have - I guess they're on Science Friction too, but the Science Friction releases I have predate those and aren't remastered (they came out in the '90s).

RE: the censorship thing, Google Roy Harper and you'll see he's, unfortunately, in the news today. There was another thread about this which got deleted, so I started this thread strictly about these Roy Harper remasters and requested that people stay on topic so the mods wouldn't have to delete this thread. I see Daven edited his post above - thanks, Daven! I guess a few Roy Harper fans didn't get a chance to see the other thread before it was deleted - which happened quickly!

s'awright

chalkpie
    No news? What are you talking about?

The sound is not noticeably better IMO, but I'm not an audiophile and I gigue at those silly little graphs people post so caveat emptor, I guess.

Packaging is an improvement on both.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    No news? What are you talking about?
    Google Roy Harper. The first headline is unfortunately self-explanatory.