Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JFK FYI

Quote Originally Posted by TerrellMiller View Post
    replying to several posts here (I swore I wasn't gonna get dragged back into this
    Well said, and thanks for all the hard work so I didn't have to do it. I swore I was going to get dragged into it too.

A good read for the "Oswald did it alone" crowd is Gerald Posner's book "Case Closed". He goes thru many of the conspiracy theories in a very convincing manner.

I do remember seeing the movie "Executive Action" when I was in my teens and it scared the crap outta me. Because the ending has about 20 people related to the assassination who died of unnatural causes. The estimate of that happening was about 100 trillion to one. This has also been debunked, but to the average movie goer, this and stuff like Oliver Stones movie can suck you in. Hollywood, authors, talk shows, the book depository museum etc have made a ton of money on this cottage industry. Basically, a tragic event created by a loser coupled with a population who were seeing two murders, one very graphic, for the first time in their lives, looking for answers to almost unbelievable event. Science has explained away the theories but there will always be non believers.

Sorry Casey, I started to write this hours ago and got interrupted. You already mentioned Posner's book. Yes, when people mix history with fiction in order to sell tickets, it does a disservice to the people who believe they are getting a history lesson.

All I can say is I'm buying shares in Alcoa - Americas's most successful milliner.

replying to several posts here (I swore I wasn't gonna get dragged back into this, but oh well):

Sputnik said:

Ruby didn't really have any ties to the mob. When he was a child in Chicago he sucked up to a few neighborhood-boss types, true. But I've never seen any evidence that as an adult he had any involvement with organized crime at all. But there is plenty of testimony from people who'd known him for years that he was unstable and prone to get overexcited and go off teh deep end at any time. I think Ruby shot Oswald simply because after all the media coverage and excitement, and after he'd hung around the DPD headquarters all weekend, he reached the point where he couldn't make himself stop, for internal reasons he prolly didn't even understand himself.

One big part of the JFK conspiracy theories is the question of why Oswald was "silenced" so quickly. But I've heard recordings of TV and radio broadcasts that went out even before Oswald shot Tippit, let alone was arrested, speculating that whoever the assassin was, it was unlikely that he would ever be taken alive and might even kill himself rather than be captured; so the reality is that hours before the public even knew who Oswald was, people were expecting that the shooter wouldn't live long. And in fact, when Oswald was caught at the Texas Theater an hour after the assassination, the police had to form a human shield around him to keep the hostile crowd from getting to him.

So the amazing thing isn't that Oswald was "silenced" two days after the assassination, what's actually remarkable is that he even survived that long in the first place.

okay, then...where were the people who were supposed to take him out? Why wasn't there a DPD officer (or somebody masquerading as one) right at the TSBD entrance, ready to rush in and shoot him on sight? Because for your theory to hold up, the people behind the plot would have needed to kill Oswald immediately after he shot JFK, not risk that he'd escape and get captured by the police and get paraded in front of the press and everything else that actually happened that weekend. So where was the "cleaning staff"?

Dave the brave said:

That theory has long been debunked. It was first developed by a Baltimore gunsmith named Howard Donahue in the 80s, and was the basis for a book called Mortal Error written by Bonar Menninger. The book even named the secret service agent (George Hickey, RIP) who allegedly fired the shots. But several photographs and movies taken during the assassination prove conclusively that nobody in the followup car (which was only five feet behind JFK's limo at teh time of the head shot) had even drawn a weapon, let alone pointed one at JFK. It's a complete myth.

Donahue based his "analysis" on guesstimates of the position of JFK from eyeballing stills of the Zapruder film and other photos. He just made a lot of bad estimates, his data inputs were way off. And when teh book was published Hickey sued Donahue and the publisher (St. Martin's Press). The curator of the Sixth Floor Museum arranged a private showing of the Bronson film which proves Donahue's theory to be false in all respects. That was fifteen years ago, but somebody is resurrecting it to make a quick buck now that Hickey is dead and can no longer sue for defamation/libel.

Dan Roth said:

sad that Stone is still clinging to that (Costner's character walked the jury through it during the trial scene in Stone's movie), after at least two extremely precise surveys of Dealey Plaza and extensive 3D modeling of the scene, the limousine, and the two victims have conclusively shown that the single bullet did no such thing. When you watch the movie, the two men standing in for JFK and Connally are facing forward in identical chairs on a level courthouse floor, directly in line with each other. That doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to what actually happened. The limo was headed downhill, Connally was crammed into a little jump seat bolted to the floorboard, lower and further inboard than JFK, and he was turned to his right when he was shot. Single bullet that passed through JFK in a straight line, then started tumbling as it struck Connally in the back, exited his chest, went through his right wrist and then wound up in his left thigh. Absolutely no need for a second bullet, let alone a second source for the bullets.

UneverStephen said:

The front of his head didn't explode. Watch the Zapruder film, and look at the autopsy x-rays and photographs. There was a bullet-sized entrance wound in the top rear of his skull, and a gaping exit wound in the top right rear section. The "back and to the left" thing is complete Hollywood, not how human beings actually respond when they're shot in real life. That was thoroughly debunked long ago but people still cling to their impressions from watching action movies, not real forensic science.

Ironically, one of the leading conspiracy theorists, a videographer named Robert Groden who runs a memorabilia kiosk in Dealey Plaza, was part of the 1998 forensic reenactment. They used laser pointers to backtrack to teh source of the shots, after a very thorough surveying and very precise measurements of the location of the limo and the position of Connally and JFK at the time of the shots. They even made sure to pull back the limbs of the trees in front of the TSBD building, which had grown during the intervening 35 years, to recreate the field of view from teh 6th floor window.

They filmed Groden raving on and on about where the grassy-knoll gunman was who allegedly fired the headshot. Then after everbody agreed on the exact position of JFK and the exact nature of the wounds, they ran the laser pointer and proved conclusively that it was impossible for any of teh shots to have come from anywhere other than from the right rear of the limo. And the real forensic experts on the panel very patiently explained to Groden why his little theories were completely inaccurate and based on fantasy, not reality.

That reenactment (which was improved upon in 2003, this time with 3D computer modeling) showed that it was possible that shots came from teh second floor of the Dal-Tex building across the street and behind the TSBD, but only if the estimated positions of the limo, and JFK's position in it, were pushed right to the extreme edge of teh error-bars of the estimates. In short, only if you fudge the data a little bit. And afaik they never took into account the presence of the followup car (with secret service agents standing on the running boards), which would likely have shielded anybody in the Dal-Text building from a direct line of fire.

So according to very detailed and precise recreations of the assassination, the only possible source for all the shots was the southeast corner window of the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository building...the sniper's nest in the area where Oswald worked, where shell casings were recovered that were proven to have been fired from the Mannlicher-Carcano rifle found on that floor and purchased by Oswald, and the window where several witnesses saw a rifle during the shooting.

Sorry folks, I know it sounds bizarre but Oswald was the only gunman, and there has never been any credible evidence that he had any conspirators. Titanic struck an iceberg in just the wrong way, Chernobyl and Three Mile Island happened because of botched safety drills, Andrea Doria and Stockholm collided because the crews of both ships didn't know how to interpret their newfangled radar scopes, Franz Ferdinand was assassinated because his driver took a wrong turn along a parade route, Lincoln was shot because his sole bodyguard popped off to a pub across the street, the Northeast power blackout ten years ago happened because a couple of trees fell on power lines at the exact wrong place and time...and the 35th President of the United States was gunned down by one loser who couldn't fit in anywhere in life.

it happens, and there's no way to prevent it from happening from time to time. That's just life.
    Wow! Thanks for taking the time to write that.
    <sig out of order>

Sorry folks, I know it sounds bizarre but Oswald was the only gunman, and there has never been any credible evidence that he had any conspirators. Titanic struck an iceberg in just the wrong way, Chernobyl and Three Mile Island happened because of botched safety drills, Andrea Doria and Stockholm collided because the crews of both ships didn't know how to interpret their newfangled radar scopes, Franz Ferdinand was assassinated because his driver took a wrong turn along a parade route, Lincoln was shot because his sole bodyguard popped off to a pub across the street, the Northeast power blackout ten years ago happened because a couple of trees fell on power lines at the exact wrong place and time...and the 35th President of the United States was gunned down by one loser who couldn't fit in anywhere in life.
    Oh yeah, smartypants?!!! What about the moon landing, huh? Obviously a Hollywood soundstage!

Seriously, thanks for that, Terrell. Very nice read.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I did read somewhere that the bullet did not move upward, as Kennedy's and Connally's seats were not the same height in the car. And then that the zig-zagging could be explained by ricochets.

We'll never really know what happened.
    once a bullet enters a human body, it can go any place and do pretty much any thing. there is no steadfast law on where it may be or where it can come out because bone and tissue can affect its path through the body. It also can expand, fragment and whatnot.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Ironically, one of the leading conspiracy theorists, a videographer named Robert Groden who runs a memorabilia kiosk in Dealey Plaza, was part of the 1998 forensic reenactment. They used laser pointers to backtrack to teh source of the shots, after a very thorough surveying and very precise measurements of the location of the limo and the position of Connally and JFK at the time of the shots. They even made sure to pull back the limbs of the trees in front of the TSBD building, which had grown during the intervening 35 years, to recreate the field of view from teh 6th floor window.

My wife and I were in Dallas back in August and went to Daily plaza, the museum, grassy knoll, the whole shebang. I found it all to be very interesting and historic. When we were up at the memorial in Daily plaza there was a guy there selling DVD’s claiming to have a whole new theory and new film to support some new hypothesis that he had. Supposedly it was based on some new film he had discovered that had never been shown until recently. I wonder if this is the same guy that you mention in your post. I could not figure out how he could be allowed to set up his shop there where he was, but he had a table with a couple of computers and a whole bunch of stuff.

BTW I totally agree with your post and everything that you mention. I have seen and read enough that I am convinced all of the modern forensic evidence points to Oswald as the only shooter most likely acting alone with no support behind him.

Steve Sly

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I certainly am no expert, and not looking to argue at all. But was the force of this bullet that powerful that it could enter and exit through two people and keep going to re-enter the 2nd person's wrist and then into his thigh?
    it was shot from a rather close range for a rifle. If you go to Dallas and see the window where Oswald was (glassed off) amd the X marking where Kennedy was shot, it is not a tremedous distance.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    My wife and I were in Dallas back in August and went to Daily plaza, the museum, grassy knoll, the whole shebang. I found it all to be very interesting and historic. When we were up at the memorial in Daily plaza there was a guy there selling DVD’s claiming to have a whole new theory and new film to support some new hypothesis that he had. Supposedly it was based on some new film he had discovered that had never been shown until recently. I wonder if this is the same guy that you mention in your post. I could not figure out how he could be allowed to set up his shop there where he was, but he had a table with a couple of computers and a whole bunch of stuff.

that may be Robert Groden. He's been running his little kiosk up near the grassy knoll for a long time. Mid-sized guy with gray hair? Groden was arrested for vending without a license a few years ago, I hadn't heard about that until I googled him yesterday. Guess nothing ever changes

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Oh yeah, smartypants?!!! What about the moon landing, huh? Obviously a Hollywood soundstage!

OJ was on the crew <g>

Seriously, thanks for that, Terrell. Very nice read.

np y'all, and glad you enjoyed it.

Esquire did a fascinating article about the activities aboard Air Force One, well worth reading:

Flight fromDallas

that may be Robert Groden. He's been running his little kiosk up near the grassy knoll for a long time. Mid-sized guy with gray hair? Groden was arrested for vending without a license a few years ago, I hadn't heard about that until I googled him yesterday. Guess nothing ever changes
    Yea, I think that was the guy. He was up on the top of the plaze close to where the knoll is. In fact there was a TV crew doing some filiming while were were there, and supposedly they were filming something new ofr him because he had some new "evidence" from a newly discovered "lost" film.

Anyway, if any of you are ever in Dallas I would highly recomend a visit to the museum. It was very interesting.

Steve Sly

theres only one reason that an accused assasin gets assasinated. anything else is bullshit. it's amazing to me that inteligent people can rationalize it by saying he was upset about his president, or prone to doing crazy things. one would have to be certifiably insane to give up ones own life in order to exact vigilante justice when the accused has already been caught by law enforcement. oswald may have acted alone, but that doesnt mean there wasnt a conspiracy. then when robert got killed, that solidified it. nobody wanted a guy in charge whos brother assasinated, because he might use his power to expose a conspiracy.

i believe he was the patsy. lets assume that he intended to get away with this crime. why leave behind the tracable rifle (and fingerprints), spent shells, lunch bag, etc. ? is this another guy just willing to give up his own life for the cause? maybe he left it all behind because it wasn't suposed to matter. maybe he was supposed to be picked up at some point, instead of scrambling around in the streets of dallas. one of the few things oswald said, and you have to admit he seemed pretty rational, was that he was a patsy. then he got killed. how convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post

i believe he was the patsy. lets assume that he intended to get away with this crime. why leave behind the tracable rifle (and fingerprints), spent shells, lunch bag, etc. ? is this another guy just willing to give up his own life for the cause? maybe he left it all behind because it wasn't suposed to matter. maybe he was supposed to be picked up at some point, instead of scrambling around in the streets of dallas. one of the few things oswald said, and you have to admit he seemed pretty rational, was that he was a patsy. then he got killed. how convenient.
    There are several questions that pop up if you believe he didn't do it or it was a conspiracy. How do you expect to walk around with a rifle in a town after the President has been shot? How does one get a car to pull up to a building people are looking at that's on the parade route and closed to the public to pick him up? Why does he go to a movie theater in the middle the work day? Why did he shoot the policeman who wanted to ask him a question? Why does he leave most all of his money and wedding ring at his estranged wife's house in the morning? If it was a conspiracy, why was he not taken out before he got out of the building and could have gone anywhere? It's awfully sloppy to assume he wouldn't be caught.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    I learned a few things with all the JFK specials on this week:

I did not know about Oswald's attempt on General Walker in the months previous to the assassination. That was kind of a dry run for Oswald, and shows how loony he actually was. He was pissed at JFK over Cuba and was involved in some pro Castro group in New Orleans before returning to Dallas.

Bugilosi also points out if there was a conspiracy involving Ruby, why did Jack go on to live for 3 years before dying from natural causes? If he knew anything else, he would have been eliminated fast.
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 11-26-2013 at 08:45 AM.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

How is this NOT a political thread?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I enjoyed watching some of the specials that aired last week. I still have some on the DVR but I will hold off on watching. It was a bit of overload for me. Save it for a rainy day.

Cats, ever hear the phrase, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy"?

Or, "Truth is stranger than fiction"?

Any & every issue that you find so unbelieveable can be explained. With reason & logic. Ever lightly rub a pane of glass with your finger? Smooth, isn't it? Then take a look at that surface under an electron microscope.

If Officer Tippit hadn't stopped him, Oswald might have gotten away very easily. Sure, the investigating authorities would have had his fingerprints, but it wouldn't have done them any good. They didn't know who they were looking for until they made the connection with the unexpected death of Tippit.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    How is this NOT a political thread?
    What's political about it? The discussion is about the assassination and various conspiracy theories.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Cats, ever hear the phrase, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy"?

Or, "Truth is stranger than fiction"?

Any & every issue that you find so unbelieveable can be explained. With reason & logic. Ever lightly rub a pane of glass with your finger? Smooth, isn't it? Then take a look at that surface under an electron microscope.

If Officer Tippit hadn't stopped him, Oswald might have gotten away very easily. Sure, the investigating authorities would have had his fingerprints, but it wouldn't have done them any good. They didn't know who they were looking for until they made the connection with the unexpected death of Tippit.
    casey, they were apparently able to trace the rifle purchase to oswald pretty quickly. i dont remember that any effort was made to conceal the origin of the rifle. people tend to look at kennedy conspiracists as if their theories leave a lot to the imagination. however debunkers ask you to believe some pretty weird stories too. everybody is just psycho. lol oswald, ruby, sirhan, ray. casey, ever hear the phrase "where theres smoke, theres fire" ? theres too much smoke for me to ignore on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    There are several questions that pop up if you believe he didn't do it or it was a conspiracy. How do you expect to walk around with a rifle in a town after the President has been shot? How does one get a car to pull up to a building people are looking at that's on the parade route and closed to the public to pick him up? Why does he go to a movie theater in the middle the work day? Why did he shoot the policeman who wanted to ask him a question? Why does he leave most all of his money and wedding ring at his estranged wife's house in the morning? If it was a conspiracy, why was he not taken out before he got out of the building and could have gone anywhere? It's awfully sloppy to assume he wouldn't be caught.
    good questions that we'll never know the answer to. as to why he wasn't taken out in the building, well maybe the plan hadn't gone bad yet. look you all contend that this assasin was crazy but he obviously planned how he was going to do this right/ he didn't just dream it up 5 minutes before kennedys car turned the corner. yet, he made little effort to actually get away with the crime. i don't think the craziest person hopes to shoot a president and leave all kinds of evidence, most importantly, a rifle he owned.

If you discount the desire to murder someone, Oswald wasn't crazy. Stupid, maybe. But not crazy.

He tried to get away. You don't leave the scene of a murder-by-gunshot carrying your weapon. He might as well have remained in his sniper's perch or left the building screaming "I killed Kennedy!"

So, let's agree that he took into account that, by leaving his rifle behind, he would eventually be connected with that rifle once the investigating officers found it & did their research. How long would that connection have taken in the age before the internet? And, during this interval, where would Oswald have gone? He certainly wasn't planning on returning to his home. Most likely he would have disappeared in Mexico.

And remember the photograph of Oswald posing with the rifle. He WANTED the world to know & remember the connection between himself & his intended victim, either Kennedy or Connolly.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post

And remember the photograph of Oswald posing with the rifle. He WANTED the world to know & remember the connection between himself & his intended victim, either Kennedy or Connolly.
    I agree with your analysis, but I think the photo was taken right before he attempted to kill General Walker, so that was his original intent with the photo, I believe.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

"So, let's agree that he took into account that, by leaving his rifle behind, he would eventually be connected with that rifle once the investigating officers found it & did their research. How long would that connection have taken in the age before the internet? And, during this interval, where would Oswald have gone? He certainly wasn't planning on returning to his home. Most likely he would have disappeared in Mexico"

casey i enjoy discussing this stuff. not picking a fight, just having fun conversation.

so. you ask about how easy it would have been to get away in the pre internet days, knowing that making the connection to the gun might might buy him time. however, how difficult would it have been for him to wear gloves? how difficult to conceal before hand the serial numbers or whatever people do. he was in the army, he was a good shot apparantly he should know this stuff right?. i mean, even just having himself pictured with the very gun. he must have sneaked the rifle in to the building at some point prior. this was no squeeky from or david chapman or real crazy people who just shoot and don't care about getting caught. sometimes when the evidence comes too easy, it makes me suspicious.

"Oh yeah, smartypants?!!! What about the moon landing, huh? Obviously a Hollywood soundstage!"

sure you were making an innocent joke. i wouldn't laugh too hard though. the technique is as old as the hills and the same one used by those who want to get away with things. lump a serious potential conspiracy in with the most absurd and laughable of conspiracy theories thus making both issues seem trivial and stupid. congrats on doing the same thing as the cia and other secret agencies that plot to get away with things. their mos important strategy is always to discredit and make assertions about the mental capacities of those who question the official story.

so sure, you made all of us who don't fully believe the official story feel like tin hat wearing weirdos. congrats i feel so humiliated now. lol the only ones laughing harder than me are the people that count on people like you to make fun of those who question.