Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Women Impressed by Men Who Condemn Their Taste in Music

Women Impressed by Men Who Condemn Their Taste in Music

Women have confirmed that nothing gets them hotter than men vigorously criticising the music they listen to.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-2013111281089

Strange, my wife criticizes my music quite often. I never considered it as a means to an end.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    If only.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Maybe if you didn't listen listen to that awful wailing crap with no melody and incomprehensible lyrics. What's wrong with a little ABBA? Phil Collins? Mazzy Star?

I went on a few dates with a girl who was obsessed with Swedish hip-hop. Abysmally awful stuff.

Of course, it ended while we were still the "polite" stage, so I never got a chance to tell her to turn that shitty music off.

I wish!!!!!!

However, I must say that I've found very pleasant to discover years later that most of my ex-GFs whose musical tastes have been permanently changed after I taught them good tastes...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Such an inconsequential part of a relationship and anybody who has a hang up about it is probably single... My girlfriend and I have some musical tastes that overlap but by and large, she's in her musical universe and I'm in mine. I make light of some of her musical tastes but she never makes light of mine. That's because she knows that I take it more seriously than she does and my tastes reflect a much deeper commitment to finding obscure bands than hers. She respects that. Her explorations are in some avenues that usually don't interest me so much. She doesn't get into any "flavour of the month" pop music, so I'm OK in that regard.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Funny. British buddy of mine put that up on fb and he said that rag is the UK equivalent to The Onion (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    My girlfriend and I have some musical tastes that overlap but by and large, she's in her musical universe and I'm in mine.
    Ditto. Her universe is pop; anything from the mid '60s to now. I'll take short trips with her to that place, but I prefer what she calls my "weird boy music." She loves Phil Collins (among others) and I thought, "ah, I can play her Trick of the Tail." Didn't work; she has to know the songs. But she generally doesn't knock the music I like and I don't knock hers. My ex-wife had great taste in music and liked a lot of the stuff I do, but it didn't save the relationship. I'm with Yves on this, musical taste has little to do with what makes a relationship work.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Ditto. Her universe is pop; anything from the mid '60s to now. I'll take short trips with her to that place, but I prefer what she calls my "weird boy music." She loves Phil Collins (among others) and I thought, "ah, I can play her Trick of the Tail." Didn't work; she has to know the songs. But she generally doesn't knock the music I like and I don't knock hers. My ex-wife had great taste in music and liked a lot of the stuff I do, but it didn't save the relationship. I'm with Yves on this, musical taste has little to do with what makes a relationship work.
    I'm generally luckier than you... Though my current GF is not that much in music: she's still got her 45 RPM and her Lps, but has never owned a CD, and doesn't really listen to the radio. She's relatively open to a lot of ùusics, but generally not jazz (ok for Cab Calloway stuff, but not much more) and HEAVY metal musics or avant-garde stuff (dissonances are not her stuff, and if I keep it up, she'll yell major dissonances of hers)... So when I play something, it happens that she likes it... and gets a bit curious.

But she'll never be a fan of music to go to a concert alone or with her gfs
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It is definitely an Onion type article but it's always fun to have the conversation about the musical taste of significant others, or lack thereof. My wife always pulls out the Emperor's quote from Amadeus when she hear's half of my music

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I found my new sig line in that article!

My wife is more impressed when I actually dig music she likes. she of the far more mainstream taste than I.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Such an inconsequential part of a relationship and anybody who has a hang up about it is probably single...
    That's a pretty big generalization there. I've always regretted the fact that my wife has zero interest in going to any of the concerts I've gone to over the years, and I'd have gone to/would be going to many more if she were also interested in that music and it was something we could share. Also, it's hard to justify going alone to three-day musical festivals when it's to attend something she has no interest in. Yet we've been married 22 years.

I make light of some of her musical tastes but she never makes light of mine. That's because she knows that I take it more seriously than she does and my tastes reflect a much deeper commitment to finding obscure bands than hers.
    It's a different situation for me, because the music she's into (and actually, I like it too) is music you can't really make light of. Mostly classical, and jazz vocals like Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, etc. So compared to that stuff, it's not hard for her to look down on "prog" in general for being less "important," if you will. She also is never on the search for new music - she's happy with a limited selection of the stuff she likes best.

On topic:

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's a pretty big generalization there. I've always regretted the fact that my wife has zero interest in going to any of the concerts I've gone to over the years, and I'd have gone to/would be going to many more if she were also interested in that music and it was something we could share.
    A valid point. I don't go to too many shows anymore but my girlfriend is usually interested/curious enough to want to attend some. She has been to one FMPM with me, has come out to see shows like Steve Wilson, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The Decemberists, Black Mountain.....

But by and large I listen to most of my music (esp. stoner and Neopsyche) alone in my "man cave" or on my iPod. Our mutual listening usually involves something we'll both enjoy: certain classic rock, blues, Jazz...

I'm with Yves on this, musical taste has little to do with what makes a relationship work.
    I can't deny your own personal experiences, but this seems kind of a strange viewpoint. What if one person in a relationship was very into "serious literature" (I'm not going to bother giving examples, it's just a generalization) and the other person only liked to read romance novels? What if one was primarily into the films of Kubrick, Fassbinder, and Jean-Luc Godard, and the other was only interested in movies like Police Academy and Porky's? It could make it difficult to enjoy together what some people consider to be important parts of life. Granted, I never would have married someone who was only interested in movies like Porky's because they probably would have been an idiot.

My wife and I have overlapping or very similar taste in most of these kinds of areas, but mismatches could potentially be a problem. Not to mention different ideas on how best to listen to music (as background music, or something to focus on and not be interrupted).

I don't know about either of your families (Yves and No Pride) but having kids is also a factor, because it leaves less time for something like actively listening to music, watching live music, etc. Choices of how to spend time can become more difficult, or more important.

A valid point. I don't go to too many shows anymore but my girlfriend is usually interested/curious enough to want to attend some. She has been to one FMPM with me, has come out to see shows like Steve Wilson, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The Decemberists, Black Mountain.....

But by and large I listen to most of my music (esp. stoner and Neopsyche) alone in my "man cave" or on my iPod. Our mutual listening usually involves something we'll both enjoy: certain classic rock, blues, Jazz...
    I've basically said as much above, but having a girlfriend is, not surprisingly, very different from having a wife and kids. If you see marriage and kids in your future, enjoy all the freedom you have now is all I can say. Not that there isn't an upside, but more listening time isn't one of them in my experience.

I have no kids.

To address your other queries, I have no issues with certain interests being mine, others being hers, and others being shared. I can find time for all of them. My girlfriend loves museums. She goes mostly alone. Meanwhile I'll be out doing photography. At the end of the day we'll each feign an interest in the other's day. Works out fine!

Maybe it's a sex-only relationship.

I have no kids.

To address your other queries, I have no issues with certain interests being mine, others being hers, and others being shared. I can find time for all of them. My girlfriend loves museums. She goes mostly alone. Meanwhile I'll be out doing photography. At the end of the day we'll each feign an interest in the other's day. Works out fine!
    The "feigning interest" part is about all we have time for now...

I need to smoke some crack in a drunken stupor.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I can't deny your own personal experiences, but this seems kind of a strange viewpoint. What if one person in a relationship was very into "serious literature" (I'm not going to bother giving examples, it's just a generalization) and the other person only liked to read romance novels? What if one was primarily into the films of Kubrick, Fassbinder, and Jean-Luc Godard, and the other was only interested in movies like Police Academy and Porky's? It could make it difficult to enjoy together what some people consider to be important parts of life. Granted, I never would have married someone who was only interested in movies like Porky's because they probably would have been an idiot.

My wife and I have overlapping or very similar taste in most of these kinds of areas, but mismatches could potentially be a problem. Not to mention different ideas on how best to listen to music (as background music, or something to focus on and not be interrupted).

I don't know about either of your families (Yves and No Pride) but having kids is also a factor, because it leaves less time for something like actively listening to music, watching live music, etc. Choices of how to spend time can become more difficult, or more important.
    We're not legally married, but after 6 years (longer than I've been with anybody, including my ex-wife), it feels like we are. I don't have any kids, but she has 3 and they're all grown up, well, technically. Her youngest, her daughter who is 24 and has been living with us for the past 2 years just moved out about a week ago, thankfully! I like her well enough, but it's been a strain and we're both relieved. Anyway...

We get along fine. Our tastes in music (and movies, for that matter) are pretty different, but we find enough common ground. She comes with me to concerts once in a while. She didn't care much for Allan Holdsworth, but she enjoyed Hiromi and Tommy Emmanuel. Sometimes when she's driving to work, she'll listen to one of the CDs I put in the car for my own enjoyment... and like it!

I just don't find it that crucial that we have the same tastes. We're individuals and we respect that. I do most of my listening with headphones while she's asleep anyway. The important thing is how we feel about each other and respect each other. As you know, I'm a musician and she likes to come to my shows when they're in town and she doesn't have to wake up at 6 AM to go to work the next morning. She's a fan of my playing and likes the bands that I play with and my musician friends and their spouses too. She claims that I've taught her a lot about how to listen to music. Works for me!

I only ever date girls who are already heavily into Simon Steensland or Victor Perraino's Kingdom Come.

(Come to think of it, it's been a while since I had me some mean woman.)
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

We're not legally married, but after 6 years (longer than I've been with anybody, including my ex-wife), it feels like we are. I don't have any kids, but she has 3 and they're all grown up, well, technically. Her youngest, her daughter who is 24 and has been living with us for the past 2 years just moved out about a week ago, thankfully! I like her well enough, but it's been a strain and we're both relieved. Anyway...
    Well, we have a 14 year old and a 4 year old, so between 9th grade homework (and TV domination) and being worn out by a 4 year old, we collapse once they're both asleep.

I just don't find it that crucial that we have the same tastes. We're individuals and we respect that. I do most of my listening with headphones while she's asleep anyway. The important thing is how we feel about each other and respect each other. As you know, I'm a musician and she likes to come to my shows when they're in town and she doesn't have to wake up at 6 AM to go to work the next morning. She's a fan of my playing and likes the bands that I play with and my musician friends and their spouses too. She claims that I've taught her a lot about how to listen to music. Works for me!
    That sounds pretty nice - I'm sure actually being involved in music makes it a bit easier to share music.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I only ever date girls who are already heavily into Simon Steensland or Victor Perraino's Kingdom Come.

(Come to think of it, it's been a while since I had me some mean woman.)
    LOL!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-14-2013 at 04:26 PM.

musical taste has little to do with what makes a relationship work.
    If it did we'd all be gay.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^