Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finnish prog of late....

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Alamaailman Vasarat - "kebab-punky turbofolk", no Zappa whatsoever. Their predecessors Höyry-Kone weren't very "Zappa" either.
    Is Alamaailman Vasarat related to Höyry-Kone? If so, I either didn't know that or forgot it.

Jeez, after so many years "in the prog community," I can't believe how many times lately I've used that phrase: "I either didn't know that or forgot it." It's so often the case now, regarding bands and info that aren't at all new!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is Alamaailman Vasarat related to Höyry-Kone? If so, I either didn't know that or forgot it.

Jeez, after so many years "in the prog community," I can't believe how many times lately I've used that phrase: "I either didn't know that or forgot it." It's so often the case now, regarding bands and info that aren't at all new!
    Someone should remind the band about that as well.They might do Höyry-Kone album for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    At least two members of Alamaailman used to be in Höyry-Kone; Marko Manninen - the cellist, and Jarno Sarkula on saxes. The former also appeared on all Uzva albums as guest musician, btw.

I somewhat agree that Alamaailman have tended towards stagnation on theor latest couple of releases, although I kinda liked that thing they did with esteemed vodka-bohemian Tuomari Nurmio.

Both Höyry-Kone releases are great, though. Quite possibly my fave Finnish rock releases in the last 20 years.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Nah, lately I'll start an album, get distracted, and have to turn it off before it's over ...

I quite agree about Hoyry Kone -both great albums. I think the drummer also moved from HK to AV and the trombone player - he played in the later version of HK but isn't on the albums (from memory without looking up the sleeves). They did play a few gigs with AV supporting HK which I'd have loved to have seen. Sarkula played bass in HK and formed AV when he decided to learn the sax. I don't agree about the stagnation -I think they go from strength to strength -I've just seen them live in London and its renewed my enthusiasm for them. I persuaded three friends who didn't know them at all to come along and they all enjoyed them. (and I have to say one of them normally likes classical and light pop and would recoil from a lot of my music)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    At least two members of Alamaailman used to be in Höyry-Kone; Marko Manninen - the cellist, and Jarno Sarkula on saxes. The former also appeared on all Uzva albums as guest musician, btw.

I somewhat agree that Alamaailman have tended towards stagnation on theor latest couple of releases, although I kinda liked that thing they did with esteemed vodka-bohemian Tuomari Nurmio.

Both Höyry-Kone releases are great, though. Quite possibly my fave Finnish rock releases in the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Nah, lately I'll start an album, get distracted, and have to turn it off before it's over ...

Not so current,from 2006 ( Mellow Records ).Aardvark' - Tuntematon Sotilas is rarely mentioned anywhere.

Bob Netherton
    http://progressivegems.wordpress.com...9/29/aardvark/

Aardvark' - Koskelan Taisto

Last edited by Modry Effekt; 11-15-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Magyar Posse - Random Avenger/European Lover

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    I don't agree about the stagnation -I think they go from strength to strength -I've just seen them live in London and its renewed my enthusiasm for them. I persuaded three friends who didn't know them at all to come along and they all enjoyed them. (and I have to say one of them normally likes classical and light pop and would recoil from a lot of my music)
    There's no dispute that they're a great band, I just stopped buying their recent couple of releases due to what I heard - thinking that it basically was more of the same thing. There's really such an ABUNDANCE of musical activity on their first three albums that you'd spend half a lifetime just aqcuainting yourself with those. As for the "crossing" appeal, Alamaailman's main audiences seem to lie with the contemporary jazz/folk and alt-metal crowd, not with any purpoted "prog" circuit. IIRC they also received a prestigious award for their first or second release some 10 years back, and that tour they did with Nurmio was a substantial success in terms of attendance, AFAIK.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Exactly what Scrotum Scissor said.I like Tuomari Nurmio lyrics,he's obviously intelligent and philosophical.This will transmit on following clip

Astro Can Caravan - Meteor Shower Jel

I would introduce Pekka for a world
    Pekka Streng & Olympia Orkesteri - Olen Rakastunut

Pekka Streng - Sisältäni Portin Löysin

500 kg lihaa - Pallokentällä

Jaakko Kangosjärvi - Musiikki Ja Urheilu

The Leo Bugariloves - Absintinjuoja

Circle - Rautatie

Circle - Nopeuskuningas

are XL Finnish?

if so, are they finished?

or are they still recording albums?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    are XL Finnish?

if so, are they finished?

or are they still recording albums?
    They are Finnish yes. They had a reunion gig last year (I think) but they haven't done new album in ages.

why, ELÄKELÄISET of course! *humppa \m/*

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    why, ELÄKELÄISET of course! *humppa \m/*

M A Numminen: Tunnista Toiseen (Pori jazz 1972)

Some good “recent” recent Finnish progressive rock bands would include PPRY with their Raising the Skeletons of Fire by Hand, a combination of symphonic-style keyboard and guitar work with a moody synthesizer atmospherics and a vintage feel that might evoke some comparisons to certain 70s German bands.

Also Discordia and their Utopia Perfection album full of bright, intelligently crafted and surprisingly eclectic rock songs. A related project is Polyblock’s Strive or Warp, truly an album where modern(ist) art music approach is applied to what is still mostly heavily synth-driven rock music.

None of these sounds remotely like Zappa, though the Varèse-loving Synclavier symphonist Zappa might feel some kinship with Strive or Warp. The Hot Rats period Zappa did exert strong influence on Jukka Gustavson and Pekka Pohjola and was featured on Wigwam’s live sets. I’m sure that there were others (Nimbus and Scapa Flow) and still are Finnish progressive rock artist influenced by Zappa, but I don’t find his influence terribly strong on contemporary artists.

As for the playfulness and weirdness, I’d say that depends on the band, as the scene has been quite eclectic over these past two decades when there has actually been some kind of scene to talk about - I grant that Alamaailman vasarat can be intentionally weird and playful, but Ageness, for example, can rarely be accused of being either. And weirdness can also reside in the ear of the beholder.

I’ll just mention two long-time “playful” bands that are currently residing on the mainstream edge of the progressive rock spectrum, as it is defined by Fundamentalist Orthodox Prog Purism. Kuusumun Profeetta have become tamer and more acoustic since their Moon Fog Prophet days in the 1990s, but their latest album is still quirky and interesting.

And then there is Absoluuttinen Nollapiste. They’ve always been more of an “art-rock band”, a song-based rock band with interesting compositions, playful lyrics of everyday absurdism and affinity to sounds of 70s bands like early Wigwam. But then they also do tracks like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WHbyJ8aY78

Here's one from recent times- Kauhukakara. Beautiful tuneful jazz tinged stuff they have so far made two albums. And not a hint of Zappa, like much of the other stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Here's one from recent times- Kauhukakara. Beautiful tuneful jazz tinged stuff they have so far made two albums. And not a hint of Zappa, like much of the other stuff here.
    Very nice! Thanks a lot for the tip. Just grabbed their latest studio release from Bandcamp, in fact, and am looking forward to cranking it up later.

Cheers,

Alan

I almost forgot about these fellas (and dame); something for the AltrOck folks - and definitely with that distant eccentricity to them (one of them used to be in the überkitschy Apocalyptica, IIRC):