Thread: Ridiculous cd prices on Amazon/Ebay

Ridiculous cd prices on Amazon/Ebay

A few threads have recently mentioned ridiculous cd prices. I have noticed this too from time to time.

What's your guess on these? Is it really the vain hope of finding a stupid rich person? My guess: money laundering. Someone sells you some sort of contraband, and you pay by "buying" one of these cd's.

Here is an example, where *two* sellers are in the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Nao Toca Quem Nao Quer ~ Hermeto Pascoal

$3,768.99 + $3.99 shipping Brand New Item. Ships from Japan.Standard shipping via Small Packet.Usually ships within 2-3 weeks

NariyaR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$3,769.00 + $3.99 shipping New Ships from United Kingdom. Shrink-wrapped in brand new condition. Delivery takes 7-21 business days.

Bluesky Store 95% positive over the past 12 months. (1,275 total ratings)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hmm, hadn't thought of that possibility. They would have to pay a percentage to Amazon though, right? Maybe it's worth it.

It would have to be pretty low-level money laundering, but yeah - I *guess* I could see it. It would be an unusual money laundering scheme to use a credit card payment, though, unless the card was being fraudulently used - in which case, the funds are pretty easily recoverable by the aggrieved party once it's found out. Also, the hardest part of money laundering is getting the cash *into* a bank account - which you'd need, to make a payment on whatever card is being used. Again, if the idea is credit card fraud, then you'd need to be using different cards for the transactions and I'm not sure if $3K-$4K payments are worth risks. It could definitely be done, but this would not be an advisable way to move anything significant (millions)

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post

Here is an example, where *two* sellers are in the game.

So Nao Toca Quem Nao Quer ~ Hermeto Pascoal

$3,768.99 + $3.99 shipping Brand New Item. Ships from Japan.Standard shipping via Small Packet.Usually ships within 2-3 weeks

NariyaR

$3,769.00 + $3.99 shipping New Ships from United Kingdom. Shrink-wrapped in brand new condition. Delivery takes 7-21 business days.

Bluesky Store 95% positive over the past 12 months. (1,275 total ratings)

re: money laundering.

I don't think so.

Here's what I think (not as exciting as what you are stating, but I think more likely).

Seller #1 either is crazy and actually was listing it for $3,769.00 OR submitted a whole bunch of items on a spread sheet and what was supposed to be $37.69 turned into $3,769.00 (much more likely, I think)

Seller #2 had it in the Amazon system already and has his configuration set to always have him be the lowest priced seller or he has software that checks his listings and does that for him. So his price jumped up to $3,768.99, so he was beating seller #1 price-wise.

yeah. Mundane. Unexciting.

And most likely true.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

My six-pack of unopened Billy Beer is cheap at only $3,000.00.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

In this world where people pay thousands for a piece of toast with the "image" of Jesus on it? Hey, this is what free enterprise is all about, right? The freedom to be enterprising by taking advantage of the ignorance of others who have too much money.

Have we forgotten about the Pet Rock?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

Mundane. Unexciting.

And most likely true.
    Yeah, ok, but I still *like* my explanation better...

There are a lot of real bargains on Amazon

Who would not spend 3.000 EUR on a reissue LP of JTs Aqualung???
    http://www.amazon.de/Aqualung-Vinyl-...ds=jethro+tull

Or even save a buck by buying a 2 track CD single by the Stones
    http://www.amazon.de/Honky-2-track-S...rolling+stones

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Yeah, ok, but I still *like* my explanation better...

I like your explanation better too. I just don't think it's actually the answer!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Laundering money $3000 at a time would be pretty small potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    There are a lot of real bargains on Amazon
    Unfortunately there are no bargains for U.S. on Amazon.DE

Another plausible explanation to the Buy It Now prices on eBay....
    "I really love this album by [obscure band], but if someone gave me $3769, I'd be happy to part with it".
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Unfortunately there are no bargains for U.S. on Amazon.DE
    Not sure if there's much still available, but there's a 3 for 25 euro deal at Amazon.DE right now that included some vinyl. I picked up a few Krautrock RE albums for about $15 including shipping, when they retail here for $25-30.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Another plausible explanation to the Buy It Now prices on eBay....
    "I really love this album by [obscure band], but if someone gave me $3769, I'd be happy to part with it".
    I've been doing this on discogs - after not really collecting CDs since the early 2000s, I've recently found out a lot of my collection is now long OOP and rare. So I've listed 'above and beyond' prices for things that I like, but would part with for that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    I've been doing this on discogs - after not really collecting CDs since the early 2000s, I've recently found out a lot of my collection is now long OOP and rare. So I've listed 'above and beyond' prices for things that I like, but would part with for that kind of money.
    Have you had any success?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Have you had any success?
    You only need one. Even if it's a "Buy With 1-Click" mistake.

A lot of reissue jazz CDs stay in print for only a short time, so they tend to command big dollars when they're out of print.

Nothing like those prices, but one that frustrates me is the first Sam Rivers box on Mosaic from the '90s, which contains all his Blue Note sessions as a leader. Most of it has been released on individual CDs more recently (including some of the songs placed on an Andrew Hill album), but that OOP box is still the only way to get his album A New Conception, and so the box sells for $200+ on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    one that frustrates me is the first Sam Rivers box on Mosaic from the '90s, which contains all his Blue Note sessions as a leader. Most of it has been released on individual CDs more recently (including some of the songs placed on an Andrew Hill album), but that OOP box is still the only way to get his album A New Conception, and so the box sells for $200+ on eBay.
    Why anyone continues to buy from rip-off city e-Bay is beyond me.

Here you go -- $73 at Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Here you go -- $73 at Amazon.
    Thanks. That's not a complete package, but the ones on Amazon that are complete are still more reasonably priced than on eBay, for sure. It's still a lot to pay for three CDs, though.

I only buy CDs on eBay when I absolutely cannot find them anywhere else. Some of the limited-release Japanese stuff, for example.

I've only just listed more than the handful I had up for a while, but I've sold a few. Some things I bought between 2000-2004 have become quite scarce, and some people seem willing to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    I've only just listed more than the handful I had up for a while, but I've sold a few. Some things I bought between 2000-2004 have become quite scarce, and some people seem willing to pay.
    What kinds of releases are we talking?

I've listed a bunch on discogs. I recently sold the S/T In Spe CD for $75. As mentioned above, I actually like all these albums, but with 1,500 to choose from at any given moment, if someone is willing to pay me above and beyond, these are the prices I'd let them go for

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    President Of The LSD Golf Club by Hooverphonic (2008) - Import

Formats Price New Used
    Audio CD, Import (2008) $3,768.99 $26.77

How high would you have to be to spend $3,768.99 for a CD? To me, the $26.77 used price seems steep. The title of the album is excellent, however. I have heard nothing besides the 1997 debut album by this band. That one I got free.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Thanks. That's not a complete package,
    Includes the 3 CDs but not the box. You said one of the CDs was unavailable elsewhere.

I thought, for a savings of $227, you might consider getting the CDs without the extraneous box. Oh well. Your money.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I was a rather late arrival to the world of eBay - signed on in the summer of last year. In my experience as a buyer, I've picked up a number of cd's (maybe 15 or so - small potatoes I realize) at fairly decent prices. I've got several from a variety of 1 cent auctions, with a final price of anywhere from $2 to $6 - mostly cd's that have lingered on my want list for years but never picked up. And, if one's timing is right, there are some great buy-it-now's available too. Two come to mind: Guapo Five Suns for $6, and The Box Le Horla for $5. Of course, there's S&H to add, but still, I've been quite pleased with my purchases.

As a seller, I'd like to think I don't charge exorbitant prices (though what's exorbitant?...if someone has the cash and really wants a particular cd, then a high price may not be exorbitant to them). I mostly use the auction format, but for the ones I sell "buy-it-now", I try to price them competitively, while bearing in mind I don't want to give them away. And there's the fees and costs associated with each transaction that must be factored in too when establishing selling price. I enjoy the selling as it stocks my paypal account that I use to buy! This is particularly important to me now since personal spending allowances are minimal for my wife and I until both our small children are in full-time school (the youngest is in preschool, so we're almost there) and she can return to the workforce.

So, I've had mostly good experience with eBay. It's far from perfect and granted, I haven't given the other sources a try yet - amazon, discogs, etc. - but it's been working for me just fine. Of course, I still do some purchases with Laser's Edge, Synphonic, etc.