Thread: YouTube issue

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

YouTube issue

This isn't really a PE question, but since it affects my watching the posted YouTube clips on PE, as well as watching clips directly on YouTube, I thought I might ask here. As of a couple of weeks ago, I get really mixed results when trying to watch YT videos. Some work, some don't. Before this I had no problems. But I can't discern any obvious difference between the ones I can watch and ones where I get an error. The error is the "snow" screen and a message like Video is unavailable, please try again later. The weird thing is that there's at least one artist where I can view all her videos, even though they're posted by various people, so it's not like they'd all have the same settings.

Anyway, I know there are lots of threads all over the internet about people having issues watching YT videos, but I just I'd ask here in case anyone else had seen similar issues where some videos work and some don't. At home I have no problems, so that makes it seem like it could be a firewall issue at work, but since some videos work, I'd think there's no firewall issue between work and YT. Help!

If you use firefox, you could search for html5 plugin, it installs without you have to restart. This should come preinstalled with the google browser.
    It solved a similar problem I had om some other news site. https://addons.mozilla.org/da/firefo...-html5-player/

Or de-install and re-install Flash.

BTW - try the same thing in a different browser. The results could be diagnostic, one way or the other.
    Regards,

Duncan

Hey, YouTube (free YouTube that is) now allows you (on iOS, at least) to keep playing a video in a Picture-in-Picture mode after you leave the app! This is a major improvement!!

You can also minimize the window, which is good. Unfortunately, it still stops playing when your screen goes black.

When minized, it seems to stop playing after a little while, not sure why…

They did that several months ago. It was premium feature.

Quote Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
    They did that several months ago. It was premium feature.
    I know it was a premium feature, but do you mean they added it to the free YouTube app for iOS several months ago?

Oh, it's for non-music videos only that article says. Maybe that's why I hadn't noticed it.

YouTube issue

It is for any videos now.

^ Thanks - good! I wonder if they just completed the rollout (or it's still ongoing)? We have a family account, and not only I but my son as well only noticed the P-i-P feature in the iOS app the other day. And I use it constantly! Mysterious...

It has been a year since it rolled out. But yes it is available to all now.