Thread: Chris - Days of Summer Gone

Chris - Days of Summer Gone

This guy (Chris Bruin) doesn't get a lot of buzz around this site, but to my ears, he is proving himself to be one of the most interesting performers in modern prog. Whereas I am finding bands like The Flower Kings and others to be very redundant from album to album, Chris really changes things up and keeps it interesting. He is a great multi instrumentalist and the song writing and arrangements are always top of the line. His album from 2011, City of Light was very modern and electronic .......

In December 2012, he recorded a Holiday CD in record time. Really more of a winter themed album than anything else, it is truly an album that can be listened to at any time of the year......

His newly released album, 'Days of Summer Gone' is quite a bit different than these previous two releases. An album recorded on all acoustic instruments, it's style is slightly reminiscent of some of Steven Wilson's recent solo work.....

This new album is currently available to be listened to on Progstreaming and is well worth a listen and purchase in my opinion. Chris is also the drummer in the band Sky Architect, but that band has not quite clicked with me. I find Chris's solo work to be much more entertaining. When posting the videos above from YouTube, I noticed that the viewings are pretty limited. The guy is definitely a talent to be reckoned with and deserves a lot more notice IMO. Enjoy and I encourage anyone who likes these tracks to check out the albums they came from as there are some stellar tracks that aren't available on YouTube.
    Last edited by Patelena396; 11-10-2013 at 01:03 AM.

I have enjoyed the clips of Chris that I have listened to, including these.

Each of his CD's are on my list to purchase, I just haven't pulled the trigger.

I like Chris' solo albums better than his albums with Sky Architect. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangershockey7 View Post
    I have enjoyed the clips of Chris that I have listened to, including these.

Each of his CD's are on my list to purchase, I just haven't pulled the trigger.

They are well worth it.

Great stuff.Terrific.

Old man of prog
    Who sells the new CD in the US?

I have his first two, and they are nice. I like the idea of him doing something different this time. He has a good sense of melody.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Who sells the new CD in the US?
    Kinesis http://kinesiscd.com/storeframe1.htm

i enjoy the stuff that i hear on morow.com – it has a lovely exuberance and a nice contemporary vibe to it.

I am always curious what my fellow Dutchmen are upto so I listened a bit on progstreaming. I have to say that I was pleasantly suprised. It is still not entirely my taste but it sounds like a huge improvement on the bits I heared from his previous albums, which were way too much 'prog-lite' for my taste.

This is much more athmospheric and balanced. I love the addition of acoustic sounds. Hell...i might even buy this!

The new Sky architect also sounds like a huge improvement over their last one btw!

Just heard "Distances" from Chris - Days of Summer Gone on morrow.com today. Inspired me to download the album from Amazon.
    Only $6 for an hour of really cool "acoustic" music from a Dutch master

Christiaan is running a year-long musical series, named The Black Codex. A bit of a Dan Brown-like fantasy story on music. Musically it's much in vein of the partly acoustic approach of "Days Of Summer Gone". It's still possible to subscribe for only 4 euros per month. You can buy old episodes for 1 euro each. Very worthwile!

Go for all details to http://www.theblackcodex.com/ .