Thread: Steven Wilson productions and remixes

Steven Wilson productions and remixes

Can anyone list an accurate and current list of Steven Wilson productions and remixes? The sound quality he produces is so good that I want to check out everything he's worked with. Please mention any future work if known also. Thanks!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

No love for "Benefit?"

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Duh...I feel like a dumb-ass! And I use wiki quite a bit. Thanks. A guess too much
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    No love for "Benefit?"
    That was released more recently than the page was updated. You could contribute yourself.

Also missing the following albums: "Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time" and "Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson - TAAB2"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    He worked on TAAB2? If so, I forgot that.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He worked on TAAB2? If so, I forgot that.
    He just mixed it. As far as I recall, he didn't have much of a say in any other aspect, and only did the mixing because the timing was right (he was doing the Aqualung/TAAB1 remixes).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

A Passion Play and Chateau D'isaster Tapes are done, but only will released next year

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Resurrecting this thread, which had a short but glorious life.

I just came across this on Amazon, in MP3 and vinyl (6LPs) ONLY:

Yes - The Steven Wilson Remixes

It’s all the Yes albums Wislon remixed in one handy box. Was this released on CD?

Are these actually any good? What's the general consensus about their quality?

I've never listened to any of them, personally. Isn't Steven Wilson that Porcupine Tree guy?

/ignorance

I like the yes and XTC sets

Quote Originally Posted by Guntrip View Post

I've never listened to any of them, personally. Isn't Steven Wilson that Porcupine Tree guy?

/ignorance
    It would take so long to answer this, I'm going to suggest you use the search function.

And yes, he is "that Porcupine Tree guy".
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

It’s all the Yes albums Wislon remixed in one handy box. Was this released on CD?
    Each album, remixed by Steven Wilson in stereo an 5.1 surround, was released separately in a CD + blu-ray or CD + DVD package, with the original artwork. (The first album remixed, Close to the Edge, was released 6 years ago!)

They have been reissued recently with just the CD and the new artwork, but only in Japan. There is no CD box set, AFAIK.
    Last edited by Cyberian Cat; 09-02-2019 at 12:55 AM.

The Yes LP releases of the remixes he has done of several of their albums are a box set collection released about a year ago. Fragile, CTTE, and TFTO have new-ish Roger Dean covers to set them apart from other LP releases of these albums (5 LPs, 6 records).

Quote Originally Posted by Guntrip View Post
    I think they're great. Here are some reviews of Steven's remixes:

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/the-yes...ohn-kelman.php
    https://www.allaboutjazz.com/yes-rel...ohn-kelman.php
    https://www.allaboutjazz.com/tales-f...ohn-kelman.php

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/chicago...ohn-kelman.php

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/steven-...ohn-kelman.php

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/xtc-dru...ohn-kelman.php

Hope this all helps!
    Cheers,
    John
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

all his remixes stayed true to original source. Pretty much same: yip better, slightly clearer, 5.1 etc but samish. I would have preferred to have these EQ ed to modern standards, with better bass, forwards drums etc. I'm looking at Nazareth Hair of The Dog remaster. Very modern sounding. Excellent job!

Resurrecting this thread, which had a short but glorious life.

I just came across this on Amazon, in MP3 and vinyl (6LPs) ONLY:

If you’re going to go digital on these, HDTracks has 96/24 in FLAC/WAV/AIFF/ALAC (Apple Lossless) of the “box” for $34.98 and there’s a 15% coupon for first time purchasers. They also run discounts all the time that sometimes go a bit higher. You can easily resample to lower res for portable players if space is an issue but might as well start with best available fidelity. I think they sound great. I like the LPs just a bit better but they’re not exactly portable.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I will add that Wilson's remixes tend to be on the dry side for most people's taste. I kind of like it though as he's able to create space in between instruments where there wasn't any before, or at least that's the way it sounds to me.

I've heard 3 Yes albums that Wilson has remixed, Close to The Edge, Fragile and Relayer. I wasn't as bowled over with CTTE or Fragile as I was with Relayer. Relayer was so congested in its earlier releases (vinyl or CD) and Wilson was able to bring out details and nuances that were previously squashed.