Thread: Skynyrd boxes

Skynyrd boxes

Just wondering which of the Lynyrd Skynyrd 3-disc boxes you would choose (or currently own), and why you would choose it (or chose to buy).

http://www.amazon.com/Lynyrd-Skynyrd...kynyrd+box+set

or

http://www.amazon.com/Collectors-Lyn...kynyrd+box+set

Well, the info on that "Collector's Edition" set (which appears to be out of print anyway) is sketchy, but it doesn't say anything about contain any rare previously released tracks, which to me is the whole point of owning such a set.

On the other hand, the green box from the early 90's (which I have on cassette actually), has lots of early demos, including the first version of Free Bird (when it was just a ballad, presumably before the Skynyrd boys had heard Wishbone Ash's Phoenix), along with things like an alternate version of What's Your Name with a different horn arrangement. And there's a gaggle of live tracks on there too. And it has all the key "hits", plus a good assortment of albums tracks like The Ballad Of Curtis Loew, Am I Losin', On The Hunt, etc.

Yeah, I got the green box back in the day and still have it. It's a pretty good collection of essentials and rarities.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I purchased the Mo-Fi edition of "Pronounced" and received the green Box Set as my "Auto-Rip" files. Quite surprising.

I'd choose green box for rarities.Most of my Skynyrd is on LP + couple DVD's + some live on VHS.

Does either box come with a book of text (as opposed to photos)? information about the songs or the band?

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Does either box come with a book of text (as opposed to photos)? information about the songs or the band?
    The green box does.

The best ever.
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird - Knebworth 1976

I saw Skynyrd 2001, absolutely a great gig.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The green box does.
    How many pages? the contents may well determine whether I buy the dl or the physical box.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    How many pages? the contents may well determine whether I buy the dl or the physical box.
    It covers the history of the band up until the plane crash. I don't remember how many pages. I think there was some good comments about most of the tracks included on the set.

That's all I need to know. gotta get that Green box. and thank you for the helpful replies.
    Last edited by davis; 11-11-2013 at 06:34 AM.

I got "Street survivors" album 25.06.1979

I had the One More For The Road double album, but can't remember if I bought any other Skynyrd records. I like them more now than I did back then.