Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bands delivering excellent instrumentals....

Bands delivering excellent instrumentals....

...of a type of music you weren't expecting from them.

Those that surprised me the most when I heard them for the first time were:

Simple Minds - Theme for Great Cities
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FfCxLvV2nc

Madness - Walking With Mr. Wheeze
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwsngNPMLlw

Not so unexpecting for MMEB, but still.Great track.

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Waiter, There's a Yawn in My Ear

How about Seals and Crofts Wisdom a great jazz instrumental from Diamond Girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exKYiY_j26E

How about this, even sort of proggy
    Tramontane - Foreigner

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I think a lot of people are just naming their favorite instrumentals, rather adhering to what the original poster's intentions, which was stuff that might be characterized as "unexpected" selections. A couple that come to mind for me:

Love Theme From Kiss was originally part of a longer piece of music called Acrobat. Originally, this was the first section, which then segued into a more uptempo thing with vocals. Richie Wise and Kenny Kerner, who produced the first two Kiss albums, insisted the band ditch the vocal section, turned the first section into a stand alone instrumental, and they re-titled it Love Theme From Kiss, "because in Europe, love themes are really popular" (or at least that's the explanation Gene gave decades later, adding that he still hates the title Kerner and Wise came up with).

This was the B-side of Who Can It Be Now, which, as far as I know, has never been issued on CD. It's kinda like an update of the early 60's "surf" instrumental formula. I've always liked this tune, and I always thought it was a crime that it was never reissued.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I think a lot of people are just naming their favorite instrumentals, rather adhering to what the original poster's intentions, which was stuff that might be characterized as "unexpected" selections.
    Not me. Duran Duran's instrumental is very elaborate and builds up a mood, with a strong string section providing the lead melody, and Andy Taylor doing unusually sublime guitar work to augment this. It's just not what I or anyone might expect from Duran Duran, thought by many to be mostly a teenybopper band. In fact, they really haven't hit lightning twice in this way... as much as I love the artiness of later efforts, it hasn't come close to this.

If I were just listing favorite INSTRUMENTALS, it'd all be Rick Wakeman, Steve Howe, Joe Satriani and Liquid Tension Experiment, who AREN'T unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Not me. Duran Duran's instrumental is very elaborate and builds up a mood, with a strong string section providing the lead melody, and Andy Taylor doing unusually sublime guitar work to augment this. It's just not what I or anyone might expect from Duran Duran, thought by many to be mostly a teenybopper band. In fact, they really haven't hit lightning twice in this way... as much as I love the artiness of later efforts, it hasn't come close to this.

If I were just listing favorite INSTRUMENTALS, it'd all be Rick Wakeman, Steve Howe, Joe Satriani and Liquid Tension Experiment, who AREN'T unexpected.
    Well, I was speaking more about those listing things stuff like Focus, Dregs and Allman Brothers tracks that basically sound like the same stuff they're famous for.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post

I think the objection was the inclusion of songs by Focus and Hot Tuna, bands largely known for their instrumental work, which is not what the point of this thread was.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, I was speaking more about those listing things stuff like Focus, Dregs and Allman Brothers tracks that basically sound like the same stuff they're famous for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I think the objection was the inclusion of songs by Focus and Hot Tuna, bands largely known for their instrumental work, which is not what the point of this thread was.
    Ah, okay, gotcha.

The VOCAL tunes by The Dregs should be included in this thread, then....

Banned