Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 80s AOR/FM rock/Arena rock (a guilty pleasure)

What? 4 pages and no "Amanda"? . The classic power ballad distilled to its very essence.

I gotta say those 2 Rainbow tunes (Since You Been Gone, Street of Dreams) are like an 8000 calorie chocolate cake-serious guilty pleasure.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The first rock concert I went to was Journey at the Carrier Dome on the "Escape" tour. I was a freshman at SU, and this was just the first concert at the Dome that year, so a friend and I got cheap tickets just to see a show at their, it didn't really matter what the band was. I didn't like Journey and still don't, but I wish that they were just a little bit prog at that period of their career so that "my first rock concert" was something somewhat cool, instead of just Journey. The only part of the band's show that I liked was when they did "Don't Stop Believin'" and Steve Perry sang "Just a small-town boy, born and raised in SYRACUSE," upon which everyone cheered, even me.

So at least I got some funny and very '80s memories from that night, from the concert and some other surrounding, related events.

The post above reminds me of hearing a live version of "Who's Cryin' Now" where Steve Perry sang a line like "why does love hurt so bad" and then followed it up with "AIN'T THAT RIGHT, HOUSTON!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    The post above reminds me of hearing a live version of "Who's Cryin' Now" where Steve Perry sang a line like "why does love hurt so bad" and then followed it up with "AIN'T THAT RIGHT, HOUSTON!!!!"
    That is from the live in Houston album. It is an excellent live release that I think was originally a radio broadcast that the band eventually officially released. Probably the band at their peak as a live act.

Although my love for Jeff Cannata's music started with his first solo-album from 1988, his previous band Arc Angel released a wonderful AOR-album in 1983. Cannata's first band was Jasper Wrath, a more progressive unit.
    Here's the title-track from an Arc Angel-CD from 2013 called Harlequins Of Light:

I don't believe Xavion have been mentioned yet. The band were kind of the missing link between Mother's Finest and Living Colour (and it being the mid-80s, it looks like they cornered the market on Jheri Curl™):

Also Bermuda's contribution to the subgenre, Sharx:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That is from the live in Houston album. It is an excellent live release that I think was originally a radio broadcast that the band eventually officially released. Probably the band at their peak as a live act.
    I seem to remember MTV showing clips from that back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Although my love for Jeff Cannata's music started with his first solo-album from 1988, his previous band Arc Angel released a wonderful AOR-album in 1983. Cannata's first band was Jasper Wrath, a more progressive unit.
    Here's the title-track from an Arc Angel-CD from 2013 called Harlequins Of Light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Yf5jVdTNo
    Funny to see some Steinberger like guitar, that more or less screams 80s or something and a Nord keyboard, that is more modern. Like the music though.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I don't believe Xavion have been mentioned yet. The band were kind of the missing link between Mother's Finest and Living Colour (and it being the mid-80s, it looks like they cornered the market on Jheri Curl™):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPBV...J0IG91dA%3D%3D
    Missing link between Mothers Finest and Living Colour?
    Really?
    To soft for both of them. The spikes on bands around someones wrist are the heaviest thing in the music.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Jasper Wrath (maybe better known as Zodar & Clark or Arden House (fake band names)) where also the nucleus of House of Lords

There's also Velvet Paw, who apparently started as more of a prog band along the lines of Rosalia or Ars Nova, but pivoted to more of an AOR sound before getting signed by Sony and recording three albums:

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Jasper Wrath (maybe better known as Zodar & Clark or Arden House (fake band names)) where also the nucleus of House of Lords

I still grab every new House Of Lords CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I still grab every new House Of Lords CD.
    Thx wasn't aware they are still going :-)

re: Journey Live In Houston (or whatever it's called)

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I seem to remember MTV showing clips from that back in the day.
    They didn't just clips, they showed the entire concert. It was one of the very first concerts MTV aired, back in 1981, and they repeated it numerous timse, and also showed the Stone In Love clip as a video (which I remember because it was one of the times you saw Jonathan Cain play guitar, and also there's the thing during the coda where Steve Perry goes to Cain's keyboard rig, and plays like one note on the piano in each bar, make it look like he's doing the most important thing in the world). I also remember Nickelodeon showing it as a Special Delivery show around that time too.

BTW, I had to re-read this entire thread to see what's been posted, what I posted, etc. As such, here's another contribution:

Japan's greatest contribution to rock music:

I cued the third video up so it starts at Sign Of The Gypsy Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Thx wasn't aware they are still going :-)
    House of Lords (1988)
    Sahara (1990)
    Demons Down (1992)
    The Power and the Myth (2004)
    World Upside Down (2006)
    Come to My Kingdom (2008)
    Cartesian Dreams (2009)
    Big Money (2011)
    Precious Metal (2014)
    Indestructible (2015)
    Saint of the Lost Souls (2017)
    New World – New Eyes (2020)
    Saints & Sinners (2022)

2004 saw a reunion album. I liked that one a lot. Since then, the releases have been spotty, but the good tracks are good.

Dude, AOR/Arena Rock ALL DAY!!

Love that John Waite tune.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Love that John Waite tune.
    I was a big fan of it when it was a current single release. It's still a much better song than his biggest hit, "Missing You."

Another band I loved at the time was the underrated AOR trio Taxxi:

The eons are closing
    Of this trio of tunz - the Night Ranger tune is my fave.

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    Dude, AOR/Arena Rock ALL DAY!!

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    It's still a much better song than his biggest hit, "Missing You."
    "Missing You" is a fantastic song.