Thread: Anathema : Universal concert (blu-ray)

Anathema : Universal concert (blu-ray)

I have never heard of this band and took a risk on it based on comments on Amazon in the DVD/Music section. I was pleasantly suprised how good this "new" band is - calling them "prog" may be a long stretch, but it is kind of proggy. The show was filmed at the Greek Coloseum and lasted about an hour and half. It started with a small orchestra playing with them then about an hour into it the orchestra left and I was glad because I was wondering what they would be like w/o the orchestra. Very good! Anyone here know anything about this band? Or seen this disc as well?

David

I have the set and saw their show here in September. Anathema started out as a full-tilt doom metal band but have gradually morphed into a more poppy/prog band (I personally compare them to a darker/artier Coldplay but not too many folks share my opinion on that).

They have many great albums in their catalog; if you like the most recent live then probably best to work backwards and hop off when things get too dark.

My own favorite remains 'A Natural Disaster' although I certainly enjoy the recent stuff as well.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I was familiar with their name, but had never explored them.

Recently I was in Newbury Comics and saw 2 of their CD's used. I LOVED "We're Here Because We're Here" and really enjoyed "Falling Deeper". I heard bits of Porcupine Tree and Pineapple Thief in their music with a nice touch of melody and keyboards.

Next I will be grabbing Natural Disaster that I have heard so many positive things about.

Great band! One of the best!

Another big Anathema fan here!

Really love Universal, it is one of those rare band and orchestra collaborations that actually work for me.

As regards their other work, Weather Systems, We're Here Because We're Here, and the aforementioned Natural Disaster are all worth checking out.

I am rather late to this band, and just dredged this thread up in an archive search, because they are not a name that I see often.

I have been playing Weather Systems a great deal this past week, it completely passed me by when released, but has made an impact on me since. I must pick up the live DVD next, because I would like to see them in action. It looks a superior well packaged product, as so many Kscope releases prove to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I am rather late to this band, and just dredged this thread up in an archive search, because they are not a name that I see often.

I have been playing Weather Systems a great deal this past week, it completely passed me by when released, but has made an impact on me since. I must pick up the live DVD next, because I would like to see them in action. It looks a superior well packaged product, as so many Kscope releases prove to be.
    By coincidence I watched this in my home theatre last night - it is well produced and looks and sounds good on Blu-ray. One of my favourite prog bands and underrated IMO. As one of the other posters mentioned, if you like Porcupine Tree then give this band a listen, the song writing in particular is excellent, and check out their back catalogue to see how the band has matured over the years.

Also check out the acoustic set on the extras tracks.