Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Earliest mentions of Prog?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    LOL. "Everything is prog." (C) Yves
    not for me!
    for me, it has to be outside of the standard Rock 'verse, chorus, verse, bridge, verse, chorus' (ABACAB) compositional format i.e. "progressive"
    and it has to have Rock elements... only then is it Progressive Rock music.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Do keep us updated! Especially if it helps relieve your stress level!
    I just laid into him this morning.

Doesn't feel any less stressful, but I do have the satisfaction of putting him in his place.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    that never stopped other bands from playing prog music
    Well, as Old School said, "I respectively disagree all the songs" and "I don't need to history".

please leave him alone already
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Well, as Old School said, "I respectively disagree all the songs" and "I don't need to history".
    I am glad you dealing only with the facts...please do not let anone stop you...keep us educated...

I am glad you dealing only with the facts.
    Only facts? No opinions? No jokes?

OK. How about these facts?

Post #2

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    "And the Lord said to Moses 'Thou shallt take these tablets down the mountain and read them for thine flock for verily they are the ten commandments of prog"
    Post #7

Genesis I: In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth and Prog."
    Post #8

Amen...and since it was in the beginning it means that prog is 6000 years old....

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    not for me!
    for me, it has to be outside of the standard Rock 'verse, chorus, verse, bridge, verse, chorus' (ABACAB) compositional format i.e. "progressive"
    and it has to have Rock elements... only then is it Progressive Rock music.
    I agree with Ian, though, that a lot of psych is prog. He didn't say those exact words, but I think that's what he was getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Which therefore puts it squarely in my personal definition of prog.
    LOL. "Everything is prog." (C) Yves
    I have a very broad definition which pretty much includes everything derived from the classic symph roots and everything that has some level of experimentation or complexity. So Ambient, Nu Jazz, Krautrock, Psyche, Avant, Fusion, Drone, Chamber Rock, 20th Century Minimalist, etc. I know it when I hear it.

What's not Prog? Country, Blues, Mainstream Pop, Rap, Hip Hop, Straight Metal, Trad Jazz, Classical.

It's my definition and I'm fine with no-one else sharing it.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I have a very broad definition which pretty much includes everything derived from the classic symph roots and everything that has some level of experimentation or complexity. So Ambient, ...
    While I am in partial agreement with you on the definition, I fail to see how Ambient, for example, fits it.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    While I am in partial agreement with you on the definition, I fail to see how Ambient, for example, fits it.
    Well for me I tend to see Electronic bands/artisits like Tangerine Dream, Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Klaus Schulze & Radio Massacre International as progressive. Ambient seems to be the logical extreme end of this spectrum, particularly guys who focus on electronic executions like Steve Roach, Fripp & Eno, Kit Watkins, Harold Budd and the like.
    Ian

Wasnt Silver Apples prog ?
    And psybient / chillout would be cousins to ambient? leading to Entheogenic, Ott, FSOL, where does it all end

In response to the OP, I remember the terms progressive and heavy rock being used together as common nouns, the former not as an adjective. In any case, for every rule in English there is an exception.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

I have a very broad definition which pretty much includes everything derived from the classic symph roots and everything that has some level of experimentation or complexity. So Ambient, Nu Jazz, Krautrock, Psyche, Avant, Fusion, Drone, Chamber Rock, 20th Century Minimalist, etc. I know it when I hear it.

What's not Prog? Country, Blues, Mainstream Pop, Rap, Hip Hop, Straight Metal, Trad Jazz, Classical.

Back in the formative years of Prog, it was easy to identify it. Rock music had been, since its inception, 4 minute (or less) songs with a verse, chorus, verse, bridge, verse, chorus construct (or minor variants thereof) so in 66 when Pink Floyd broke that mold we called it "Progressive Rock". And when Larry Coryell added Jazz to his Rock music in the his band The Free Spirits we called it "Progressive Rock". And when Tony Williams' Lifetime - Emergency came out we called it "Progressive Rock". And when we heard Soft Machine we called it "Progressive Rock". Then came Crimson, Egg, Mahavishnu, etc. and it was still Progressive Rock music to us concertgoers in NYC. Of course, by the mid 70s the weeny journalists had segregated things and given each style of Progressive Rock music different cutesy names like "Fusion" and "Art Rock".

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

I'm in full agreement! I was just amused by the timing of your inclusion of psych into prog, and I know that kind of inclusiveness bothers some people here. But not me!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Back in the formative years of Prog, it was easy to identify it. Rock music had been, since its inception, 4 minute (or less) songs with a verse, chorus, verse, bridge, verse, chorus construct (or minor variants thereof) so in 66 when Pink Floyd broke that mold we called it "Progressive Rock". And when Larry Coryell added Jazz to his Rock music in the his band The Free Spirits we called it "Progressive Rock". And when Tony Williams' Lifetime - Emergency came out we called it "Progressive Rock". And when we heard Soft Machine we called it "Progressive Rock". Then came Crimson, Egg, Mahavishnu, etc. and it was still Progressive Rock music to us concertgoers in NYC. Of course, by the mid 70s the weeny journalists had segregated things and given each style of Progressive Rock music different cutesy names like "Fusion" and "Art Rock".
    Just about to my recollection too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Just about to my recollection too.
    Add Xhol Caravan to the mix and I'm in agreement.