Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jimi Hendrix Tuesday night PBS American Masters

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Mitch was to Jimi what Elvin was to Trane.
    I never thought about it like that, but I can totally see the parallel. Both drummers aggressively challenged their leaders (musically, that is), who in turn loved being challenged like that.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Jimi was in his own category.
    ...beyond category
    Agreed. As influential as he was, nobody made music that sounds like The Jimi Hendrix Experience before or since, not the way that people have made music that sounds like Yes, Genesis, etc.

My 17-year-old daughter was working on homework while I was watching the doc. She paid a decent amount of attention and gained some appreciation.

The door is now open!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That actually prompted me to start and "Earliest mentions of Prog" thread which I am beginning to regret.
    And, why would that be?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My 17-year-old daughter was working on homework while I was watching the doc. She paid a decent amount of attention and gained some appreciation.

The door is now open!
    Queue Magma!

Anyone have the Blu-ray and find a lag between the audio and video? Especially noticeable during the interviews.

That actually prompted me to start and "Earliest mentions of Prog" thread which I am beginning to regret.
    Christ man, what happened to that thread? It was interesting until it turned into a nerd flame war. I thought of mentioning it on the thread itself but then I would've gotten "well don't open the thread, move on" type of responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Christ man, what happened to that thread? It was interesting until it turned into a nerd flame war. I thought of mentioning it on the thread itself but then I would've gotten "well don't open the thread, move on" type of responses.
    Smart man. It's the typical social midgets who hide behind their computers with the one goal of agitating people and feeling tough in between self-gratification sessions at other sites.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

social midgets who hide behind their computers
    Some more than others Ron... I'm not taking ANY sides, but there are a few midget media terrorists here whose Jihad is to disrupt sites/threads with their personal agendas and opinions then picking fights with those who respond.
    IMPO, they would best be ignored or blacklisted if they persist.
    Your initial point regarding the very early mention of progressive rock on the Hendrix documentary IS extremely valid, thus your subsequent thread was also valid.... making you a valid dictoreum around here... lol.
    We have to agree to disagree amicably then move on relative to the thread titles.
    I shoulda taped that American Masters.... but at least I watched the entire program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    making you a valid dictoreum
    I don't know how to take that.

I don't know how to take that.
    With a smiley Ron . It was merely a play on words.
    Don't give up on the human race, you still have friends here.
    Last edited by Mick; 11-09-2013 at 07:35 PM.

I think that PBS's American Masters doc on Jimi Hendrix missed the boat on this iconic figure. I have some thoughts on it in the Echoes Blog. http://wp.me/pgATL-2r8

Echoes: that's a good review/analysis of the recent doc, I don't know that I can add much more. I felt it was a little light, but that may be in the matter of the fact that after his death just not that much more is known, I don't know. I'd agree it would have been nice if there had been other guitarist that had commented upon his style, who maybe could give a bit of insight on his playing style. At least the doc had a few different videos I had not seen before, a few different cuts of audio I had not heard before, and if it seemed a bit too sanitized, well, I think that was in reverence to Hendrix and his living relatives. At least they did reveal a few influences with some of the older blues men and Chuck Berry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    At least the doc had a few different videos I had not seen before
    That footage from Miami Pop was amazing! I think it's being released, if I'm not mistaken.

Always felt alittle sad at the blow back he was getting from some quarters. To much of "this" and not enough of "that". Also thought it was unfair to the 'Experience" members. But when Band of Gypsys formed, there seemed to be a kind of pull back in this area. It wasn't as though certain people could only hear his music in certain places and at certain times. It was like everyone was fighting for a piece of him.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I agree, Staun, which is probably why so many escaped even further into drug use--plus it was fashion to do some of that at the time, and everyone thought, hey better living thru chemistry, etc. But yeah, I imagine all the stress caused by one's record company, tour stress, and all would have had its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Your initial point regarding the very early mention of progressive rock on the Hendrix documentary IS extremely valid, thus your subsequent thread was also valid.
    You should look at it anew. The first response was a jest, followed by others; then a debate on grammar.

For example, post #19:

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    We are discussing the current grammar of English that controls adjectives and nouns.
    And, post #15:

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Adjectives CAN be used as noun modifiers or as nouns themselves[.]
    Also, post #5, from ronmac, the originator of the thread:

Isn't it technically always used as a descriptor? We just shorten it, which makes it seem like a noun. ... Yes, we're already in the semantics arena, but...
    Who later wrote this:

It's the hijacking of the thread with a grammar and punctuation fight that I find particularly regrettable.
    So, to belabor the obvious, it was a grammar fight before I chimed in.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    So, to belabor the obvious, it was a grammar fight before I chimed in.
    No, it was a discussion until you stepped in and shit all over that thread with your childish insults.

Try not to do it here, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I agree, Staun, which is probably why so many escaped even further into drug use--plus it was fashion to do some of that at the time, and everyone thought, hey better living thru chemistry, etc. But yeah, I imagine all the stress caused by one's record company, tour stress, and all would have had its toll.
    Right. But was there anyone who had his best intrest at heart or was he just a cash cow? Wasn't there someone he could talk with, spread it all out and come to some postive decisions? The Beatles kind of had each other but Jimi was riding the lighting all by himself. An important point to me as someone else could have helped change his path. Just a slight course correction and who knows? Maybe he could have lasted longer.

No, it was a discussion until you stepped in and shit all over that thread with your childish insults.
    It was a discussion? But, you said:

Wow, I step away for two hours and we're arguing [emphasis added] over word types.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    But was there anyone who had his best intrest at heart or was he just a cash cow?
    Even by the less-than-elevated ethical and moral standards of the music business, Jimi's manager, Michael Jeffrey, was "venality" incarnate.
    Last edited by mogrooves; 11-14-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Your memory is faulty.

I was having a cordial discussion with Old School because I disagreed with his opinions (or, rather, Macan's opinions). He then wrote some nonsensical lines to which I replied with a (non-insulting) joke. He then accused me of setting him up. I said no setup; reread your sentence. He said read Macon (sic) and it makes sense. I corrected his writing. Then, he accused me of cutting words from his sentence. This is untrue. He then said, "I'm done with english class!!!" Well, obviously, he tasked me. But, he also upped the ante by taking one of my sentences and cutting and rearranging it to make it incorrect. Then, he went back to his original nonsense sentence and fixed it. I called him on that and he replied with his cell phone/no glasses excuse, accused me of "screw[ing] with me from the beginning" which is also untrue, unless you think disagreement is "screwing with".

So, from my POV, OS started it, insulted me, accused of things I did not do, and escalated things.

As for you, you reprimanded me about my behavior while doing the same thing and completely ignoring OS's role. Congratulations on your saintly behavior.

I was disappointed by the show. It seemed like a rote, paint-by-numbers affair with no real depth.

Even by the less-than-elevated ethical and moral standards of the music business, Jimi's manager, Michael Jeffrey, was "venality" incarnate.
    Sadly Mogrooves, I am forced to agree. His life seemed more tragic than say, Lennon, Joplin or Morrison. Their lives were there for all to see but Jimis' seemed to have alot more going on under the surface.

But was there anyone who had his best interest at heart

Hard to say. You'd think one of Jimi's girlfriends could have talked some sense into him, perhaps he had darker reasons he was escaping from. I thought the same thing about David Crosby and his drug use--how could this guy that was flying pretty high with the Byrds, & then CSN, crash so hard free basing in a hotel room somewhere. I can only caulk it up to the permissive times, and being a bit naive that drugs weren't that bad for you, and then you're hooked. From what I've read Neil Young was in the same boat, and has not that long back gotten clean, though I don't know to what extent, but he says he's sober.

It was a discussion? But, you said:
    Which I conceded two posts later wasn't:

Whatever. Debating, discussing, conferring, exchanging views, etc.

Your memory is faulty.

I was having a cordial discussion with Old School...
    Revisionist.