Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ProgDay 2014

ProgDay 2014

I know it's 10 months away, so you might think it is too soon to start daydreaming about ProgDay 2014, but not for me.

Of course, it matters not what kind of weekend I envisage, the organizers always put together an event that eclipses my feeble imaginings.

Nevertheless, just to pass the time with pleasant thoughts…

Perhaps they’ll bring back some great bands from ProgDays past; Discipline, Echolyn, Deluge Grander and The Muffins come to mind immediately.

And what about making up for some cancelled appearances by the likes of Už Jsme Doma and Quantum Fantay? That would be sweet!

What are your ideas/wishes/comments?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Topping my wish list

Free Salamander Exhibit
    Uz Jsme Doma
    Basta!
    MiRthkon
    Rabbit Rabbit
    Zevious
    Not A Good Sign
    Jean Louis
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Nice list, although I don't know Free Salamander Exhibit or Rabbit Rabbit. Have to check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Nice list, although I don't know Free Salamander Exhibit or Rabbit Rabbit. Have to check them out.
    Essentially, the two halves of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum: Free Salamander Exhibit is Nils, Dan, and Michael, plus David (the original SGM drummer) and a new guy on guitar, and preserves a lot of the SGM sound; Rabbit Rabbit is Carla and Matthias, and sounds closer to Carla's solo material.

Jean Louis would be great, especially after their scorching set at Orion.

I would like to see Djam Karet make a return, especially since (I think) 2014 is an anniversary for them.

Honestly though...the thrill of ProgDay for me is that I am usually blindsided by the choices; most years I know few of the bands going in, and by the time the weekend is done I have a variety of new favorites
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Don't know if they exist anymore, but I would love to see a return of Japan's Ars Nova and Naikaku.

Wouldn't mind both days filled with all the bands that had to cancel for one reason or another over the years.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Djam Karet - have yet to see them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Don't know if they exist anymore, but I would love to see a return of Japan's Ars Nova and Naikaku.

Wouldn't mind both days filled with all the bands that had to cancel for one reason or another over the years.
    I heard (name withheld) say that the key to a good festival is the inclusion of an Italian band and a Japanese band. The comment made me laugh, but, at the same time, it seemed to have quite a bit of truth to it.

Lou, if I'm remembering correctly, after ProgDay 2013 you were returning home to your first batch of sour beer. How did that turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Lou, if I'm remembering correctly, after ProgDay 2013 you were returning home to your first batch of sour beer. How did that turn out?
    Hi Jon,

It turned out well considering that sour is the goal. It takes some getting used to. Kind of tastes like a Bud gone bad or maybe like a regular Bud (so says my fast-food-connoisseur brother-in-law). I will drink all that I've made, but I doubt that I'll be making any more. I'll stick to full-flavor beers and IPAs.

Speaking of ProgDay and beer, I learned the hard way this year that high summer heat and lots of beer do not mix well.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Hi Jon,

It turned out well considering that sour is the goal. It takes some getting used to. Kind of tastes like a Bud gone bad or maybe like a regular Bud (so says my fast-food-connoisseur brother-in-law). I will drink all that I've made, but I doubt that I'll be making any more. I'll stick to full-flavor beers and IPAs.

Speaking of ProgDay and beer, I learned the hard way this year that high summer heat and lots of beer do not mix well.
    Yeah, you should have stuck to absinthe!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The last night of the Progday weekend I was sitting at a table in the hotel party room. Someone sat down next to me and put a sugar cube on a slotted spoon and poured me a glass of absinthe. I'd never tried it before. Interesting to say the least and it didn't taste bad at all like I'd heard.

2013 was my first ProgDay and I had a wonderful time hanging out with people I'd known from NEARfest, as well as meeting some online acquaintances in person. Not to mention the fact that the bands were tremendous.

I'm looking forward to 2014!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    See you there Ian
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Not to condem all of the bands that have cancelled over the years, but in some cases the cancelations were not done on the best of terms. In fact, more than once I would say that the festival got screwed by certain artists / bands. In those cases I highly doubt they will be invited back.

Steve Sly

ProgDay is all about pacing yourself. A lesson I have learned the hard way over the years. Mixing beer with occasional bottles of water makes a huge difference.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not to condem all of the bands that have cancelled over the years, but in some cases the cancelations were not done on the best of terms. In fact, more than once I would say that the festival got screwed by certain artists / bands. In those cases I highly doubt they will be invited back.

Steve Sly

Wouldn't that depend on the leadership of the festival? Or do you mean that maybe certain bands hold a grudge against the festival also? If it's not the same people running the festival when the bands cancelled or whatever even under bad circumstances I don't see what difference it would make if a band's name came up and someone else(not implying it was you necessarily)was the organizer.

Anyway, I haven't been to PD in several years. It would be great to return to it again at some point. I can't say for sure next year but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Wouldn't that depend on the leadership of the festival? Or do you mean that maybe certain bands hold a grudge against the festival also? If it's not the same people running the festival when the bands cancelled or whatever even under bad circumstances I don't see what difference it would make if a band's name came up and someone else(not implying it was you necessarily)was the organizer.

I guess all I can say is that cancellations (and there have been a lot of them) have come under very different situations. Most of the time there were legitimate reasons for the bands cancelling, but occasionally there have been other circumstances with bands making promises (under contract no less) that they never intended to keep. When a band makes a commitment, signs a contract and says they are going to play, the expectation is that is what will happen baring something really catastrophic. In ProgDay’s case there have times when bands simply pulled out at the last minute. Some were legit, but some we found out after the fact basically lied to the festival about their circumstances. When you are left holding the bag and trying to find a last minute replacement it can leave a rather bad taste in ones mouth. I can think of one fairly well know prog band in particular that just decided that they were not going to play only a week or so before the show. There was no illness or emergency in the band they just thought they were going to get a better offer somewhere else and said “see ya” to ProgDay only a few short weeks before the show. It is not up to me anymore, but personally I would not be interested in dealing with that particular band again.

Then again, sometimes time heels old wounds, so you never know in some cases...

Steve Sly
    Last edited by SteveSly; 11-03-2013 at 11:37 PM.

I guess all I can say is that cancellations (and there have been a lot of them) have come under very different situations. Most of the time there were legitimate reasons for the bands cancelling, but occasionally there have been other circumstances with bands making promises (under contract no less) that they never intended to keep. When a band makes a commitment, signs a contract and says they are going to play, the expectation is that is what will happen baring something really catastrophic. In ProgDay’s case there have times when bands simply pulled out at the last minute. Some were legit, but some we found out after the fact basically lied to the festival about their circumstances. When you are left holding the bag and trying to find a last minute replacement it can leave a rather bad taste in ones mouth. I can think of one fairly well know prog band in particular that just decided that they were not going to play only a week or so before the show. There was no illness or emergency in the band they just thought they were going to get a better offer somewhere else and said “see ya” to ProgDay only a few short weeks before the show. It is not up to me anymore, but personally I would not be interested in dealing with that particular band again.

Then again, sometimes time heels old wounds, so you never know in some cases...

Steve Sly
    None of this surprises me, since I've seen it happen to other festivals. It isn't always made public, but festivals have been screwed by bands in the past, which have lead to bad feelings and no chance in hell they'd be allowed to play the festival.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    None of this surprises me, since I've seen it happen to other festivals. It isn't always made public, but festivals have been screwed by bands in the past, which have lead to bad feelings and no chance in hell they'd be allowed to play the festival.
    Yup, I think it has happened to all of them at one time or another.

Steve Sly

Yup, I think it has happened to all of them at one time or another.

Steve Sly
    I hope Už Jsme Doma are not on the sh*t list, as I would love to see them.

I'm sure it's a giant butt-pain when an act cancels at the last minute, but the ProgDay organizers must be commended on thier ability to find excellent last-minute replacements. For example, I was very happy to see Oblivion Sun at ProgDay 2013.

Only made one but my goodness, were Ain Soph and Secret Oyster a treat.

Apothecary

Fro
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Fro don't exist as a live ensemble at this time.

Great album, though.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Fro don't exist as a live ensemble at this time.

Great album, though.
    Agreed, Fro does some cool stuff. They were a live unit at one time were they not?

Steve Sly

They were a live unit, yes. But not for some time.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.