Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Initial Post: Larks' Toungues in Aspic 40th Anniv Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    yeah, it's since the two-discs set that I've changed my opinion on that flute sound on Exiles (not that this issue had ever stopped me from sleeping, though )
    It's never kept me from sleeping either, I'm just saying that according to this person who asked the question way back in 1996 or whenever it was, it was obviously not the Mellotron. And once I read that comment from Cross about he initially also played flute in the band, I always reckoned it had to have been him.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    The live version of "Exiles" has long been one of my favorite Crim songs.
    And the perfect response to those who accuse Fripp of being "robotic"mind "soul-less" as a guitarist. There are other examples but listening to advances of Starless Live in Europe, Ali Dan say is anyone who didn't think Fripp was capable of greater beauty (I always felt he was) only need to listen to the solos he plays on the various versions included in this, the Road to Red and the LTiA boxes

But, yeah, he definitely was drowned out on stage. Fripp was drowned out on stage. Being in the audience while Bruford and Wetton banged away must've been a unique concert going experience.
    It was...and while it was, indeed, loud, I never had trouble hearing Fripp...or, for that matter, Cross as I recall. I think the the problems wee really mo onstage where monitoring was the issue. That said' the sound guy could compensate for the rhythm section's, um, thundering volume in the house (really more Wetton than Bruford...I mean, you can play drums loud but Wetton had a big stack so could pretty much out-volume anyone, especially when he kicked in the fuzz box.,.,)

The only problem with that is David Cross has gone on record saying how miserable an experience it was for him. Muir certainly sounds like he's having fun, though!
    Perhaps, but my overall point still stands and the recording supports it: serious musicians can go into the studio to make a serious record but have a lot of fun doing it.

There was a guy who reviewed a Bobo Stenson album at All About Jazz a few years ago, writing "When Bobo Stenson went into the studio to record Cantando, he went in to make a masterpiece."

I emailed him and said, "No he didn't; he went in to make a record."

Few people go into the studio with any intentions beyond making the best record they possibly can at that moment in time. I suppose there are probably some who do go in with loftier aspirations, but for most musicians it really is business as usual, just another day doing what they do....and, as always, hoping for the best.....

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    If you're talking about Family, I honestly wouldn't know, as I've never really heard any of their stuff.
    No, that was Rick Grech when he was in Family, just as when he was in Blind Faith. Wetton played a few other instruments in Family but not, as far as I recall, violin or viola..

...I have the box set but i'm typing this from bed and the box is in my office and....yes..I'm just feeling that lazy.....

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    It was...and while it was, indeed, loud, I never had trouble hearing Fripp...or, for that matter, Cross as I recall. I think the the problems wee really mo onstage where monitoring was the issue. That said' the sound guy could compensate for the rhythm section's, um, thundering volume in the house (really more Wetton than Bruford...I mean, you can play drums loud but Wetton had a big stack so could pretty much out-volume anyone, especially when he kicked in the fuzz box.,.,)
    I think Fripp said that their soundman habitually left Wetton out of the board mix altogether, and he still overpowered the rest of the band. I imagine none of the other band members needed to have Wetton turned up in their monitor wedges, either, for the same reason.

But I do agree, on the tapes that are said to be taken from a two track recording (and thus can't be remixed after the fact), Fripp and Cross are very well audible. To me, there's no sense of them being drowned out by Wetton at all.

I think Fripp said that their soundman habitually left Wetton out of the board mix altogether, and he still overpowered the rest of the band. I imagine none of the other band members needed to have Wetton turned up in their monitor wedges, either, for the same reason.
    Absolutely keerect....
    But I do agree, on the tapes that are said to be taken from a two track recording (and thus can't be remixed after the fact), Fripp and Cross are very well audible. To me, there's no sense of them being drowned out by Wetton at all.
    Absolutely keerect also...

No, that was Rick Grech when he was in Family, just as when he was in Blind Faith. Wetton played a few other instruments in Family but not, as far as I recall, violin or viola.
    Ahem. Here's the actual Wetton quote I alluded to above:

Weider's specific role was to play the violin, so I learned to play it as well. I played it on a couple of tracks on the album and onstage--(laughing) very shaky. It's not something you can learn overnight. There was a lot of bluffing with wah-wah pedals. (Trouser Press, January 1979)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Originally Posted by jkelman

No, that was Rick Grech when he was in Family, just as when he was in Blind Faith. Wetton played a few other instruments in Family but not, as far as I recall, violin or viola.
    Ahem. Here's the actual Wetton quote I alluded to above:

Weider's specific role was to play the violin, so I learned to play it as well. I played it on a couple of tracks on the album and onstage--(laughing) very shaky. It's not something you can learn overnight. There was a lot of bluffing with wah-wah pedals. (Trouser Press, January 1979)
    Yeah, that was part of my wonder... Coz AFAIK, I've never seen/read anywhere on Fearless and Bandstand that he was credited playing the violin (Checked both RYM and PA, and it's not there either)...

could it be that Family finally gave up on the violin, since the incoming Poli Palmer was also playing vibes, flute and KB??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    That sounds like an RMI title.
    Ha ha ! Nice one :-) I used the baking tray at a Damo gig once...it somehow ended up being reviewed in the English broadsheet The Guardian...headline "Damo plays the spiritual Baking tray".

Perhaps, but my overall point still stands and the recording supports it: serious musicians can go into the studio to make a serious record but have a lot of fun doing it.
    Agreed. I always got the sense that this was VdGG's ethos as well and what PH meant when he said "serious fun."

And I couldn't find the quote from Cross, so I'll chalk that one up to faulty memory.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.