Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Essential 70's Quebocois Prog?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I agree, but I'd dare say most of the truly interesting "modern day" Quebecois acts were of a more experimental ilk, like Interference Sardines, Wondeurbrasse/Justine, Rouge Ciel, Les 4 Guitariste d'Apocalypso Bar and Miriodor. There have certainly been exceptions to the rule - Dägmahr and Ere G come to mind - but much of the creativity itself seems to have emannated from the Victoriaville/Ambiances Magnetique circuit.
    I would agree that the Ambiances Magnétiques label is truly experimental...

But as we've discussed in the Miriodor subject, Interference Sardines, Rouge Ciel and Miriodor are not really "experimental" par se... They were playing a mix of Klezmer, Gypsy jazz and circus music ... Though Miriodor is moving away from that of late.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Interference Sardines, Rouge Ciel and Miriodor are not really "experimental" par se... They were playing a mix of Klezmer, Gypsy jazz and circus music ... Though Miriodor is moving away from that of late.
    I don't hear much "circus music" in Rouge Ciel myself, probably because the band apparently had its outspring in modern jazz and contemporary classical (as well as Klezmer and other ethno-folk stylings). For the ultimate in "circus (rock) music" I'd take Die Knödel or most things involving Momo Rossell (Debile Menthol, Nimal, L'Ensemble Raye).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    By the way, wasn't there a new album by Contraction announced for this year (and a new one by Charles Kaszynski)
    in another thread here?
    Really? I haven't heard, but wouldn't that be nice? It would also be nice if one could snag cds from some of these hard to come by artists such as Octobre.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Really? I haven't heard, but wouldn't that be nice? It would also be nice if one could snag cds from some of these hard to come by artists such as Octobre.
    Found it again, read post 25

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-the-next-ones

While rearranging my CDs tonight and slotting in all my recent purchases, I listened to Pollen, both Sloche albums and the first two Maneige albums. Yep, it really did take that long lol! Great evening of Quebec prog though, thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Since we've gone beyond speaking solely of the 70s, let me throw another CD into the fray: Pangée- Hymnemonde.

Aside from that, this thread has been very extensive. I just want to make a correction to one band name listed. The band is called "Le Temps". While both their albums were decent, I'd say they are to Harmonium what Sinkadus was to Anglagard.

Other bands from here not yet named (and some for good reason):

Kaos Moon
    Oryzhein
    Karcius
    Talisma
    Ville Emard Blues Band
    Toubabou

..and more whose names escape me at the moment...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post

Aside from that, this thread has been very extensive. I just want to make a correction to one band name listed. The band is called "Le Temps".
    I kinda like their second album a bit, although I wouldn't exactly go as far as to call it "underrated". But yes, they more than obviously culled their entire repertoire from rocking up the debut Harmonium and perhaps even som Octobre. I still find that second album listenable, though.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Anybody know anything about a group called Maelstrom? Not sure they ever did anything, but they landed an opening slot on Van Der Graaf Generator's tour of the Quebec Provinces back in October 1976 (playing to some pretty big places, too). Always curious at to who they were, and how they scored that gig (I'm assuming they were from Quebec, Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Anybody know anything about a group called Maelstrom? Not sure they ever did anything, but they landed an opening slot on Van Der Graaf Generator's tour of the Quebec Provinces back in October 1976 (playing to some pretty big places, too). Always curious at to who they were, and how they scored that gig (I'm assuming they were from Quebec, Canada)
    There is a US band Maelstrom who had their second album out in 75, so that could have been them. They are mostly kown for their first album
    "On the Gulf" from 73 which is really great and would fit the VdGG Sound rather good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    There is a US band Maelstrom who had their second album out in 75, so that could have been them. They are mostly kown for their first album
    "On the Gulf" from 73 which is really great and would fit the VdGG Sound rather good.
    I actually looked at an article from a Canadian magazine which covered the VdGG tour in October ’76. There are references to the local opening acts (wonder if any of them ever recorded). The article could be wrong but it namechecks Maelstrom as being from Quebec.

Sherbrooke, October 6th 1976

In the Salle O'Bready, a heavily made up clown figure is delivering some sort of monologue under a spotlight; it's the weirdest, most original performance I've ever seen. Pierre Blois of Pro-Actuel is introducing Maelstrom, a group from Québec who seem incapable of quitting. They were here last year as the support act for P.F.M. It's a half-hearted effort and a bit crappy; the sound is appalling and the group is even more derivative of Gentle Giant than the other Québecois groups, EtCaetera and Pollen. The lyrics are naive and soulless. These endless retakes on "Funny Ways" just don't cut it and in spite of the sometimes rather inventive showmanship even the most avid of the local fans are not convinced. [Description of VdGG’s show] …Later, in the restaurant after the show, I still bother to congratulate Maelstrom; the musicians are a little cold and not a little arrogant.

Montréal, October 9th 1976

[Description of VdGG’s show]
    Later on, backstage, there's a lot of folks, including at one point most of the members of Lucibel, an underground band from Québec who are a sort of distant VdGG alter-ego and with whom David Jackson has been getting on really well.

Trois-Rivières, October 10th 1976

A dull beginning. Oasis, a cacophonic group from Ottawa; they're cute and rather like Caravan, not bad but not great either.

There were other shows on this tour, but while the article mentions them, the opening acts are not written about. I do know that Maelstrom opened a few shows on this tour. Anybody ever hear of any of these bands?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Anybody ever hear of any of these bands?
    Oops, should have looked closer. It looks like Pollen and Etcetera have been mentioned (I've never heard of either).

I kinda like their second album a bit, although I wouldn't exactly go as far as to call it "underrated". But yes, they more than obviously culled their entire repertoire from rocking up the debut Harmonium and perhaps even som Octobre. I still find that second album listenable, though.
    I like them both, like you preferring the 2nd album because it's a more fleshed out sounding record than the debut. IIRC they were managed by Yves Ladouceur, who was also Harmonium's manager. I guess he was trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice...

>Oasis, a cacophonic group from Ottawa

These guys appeared on the first Connivence LP

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    While rearranging my CDs tonight and slotting in all my recent purchases, I listened to Pollen, both Sloche albums and the first two Maneige albums. Yep, it really did take that long lol! Great evening of Quebec prog though, thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Oh, to spend an evening rearranging my CDs... sigh

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Oh, to spend an evening rearranging my CDs... sigh
    My main motive for not wanting to move into another apartment for some years to come, is actually the ridiculous hardships of having to carry all those cases of vinyls and CDs. When I got into my present condo in the summer of last year, my ex-wife's domestic partner uttered something along the lines of "I can have him over for dinner and drinks, yes - but I'm NOT carrying those LP boxes ever again!"

some that haven't been mentioned:

Av'nir(2 albums)
    Bregent-Partir Polar Ailleurs
    Concert-s/t
    Andre Duchesne-Le temps des Bombes
    Claude Dubois-Fable D'Espace
    Eden-s/t
    W.D. Fisher-s/t
    Serge Locat-Transfert
    Nathan Mahl-Parallel Eccentricities
    L'Orient D'O-s/t
    Yvan Ouellet-Le Chant des Choses
    Jacques Tom Rivest-s/t
    Daniel Valois-Le Matin des Musiciens
    Mychael Danna-Elements
    Aut'Chose-several albums(may be a little out of place here, but I dig 'em)

I just want to make a correction to one band name listed. The band is called "Le Temps". While both their albums were decent, I'd say they are to Harmonium what Sinkadus was to Anglagard.

You absolutely nailed that one!

My main motive for not wanting to move into another apartment for some years to come, is actually the ridiculous hardships of having to carry all those cases of vinyls and CDs. When I got into my present condo in the summer of last year, my ex-wife's domestic partner uttered something along the lines of "I can have him over for dinner and drinks, yes - but I'm NOT carrying those LP boxes ever again!"
    My wife and I always remember having to schlep her roommate's 10 boxes of records when we helped him move. In the four years since then, I've probably amassed the same amount . That with all the CDs I still have makes moving a frightening prospect for when we end up moving...

RE: Maelstrom. It's probably a different band than the US one (from Indianapolis). The descriptions don't really fit the music. BUT.... and this is the interesting part - I've read that "On the Gulf" was a private press "out of Canada".

I mentioned this in another post we had about Maelstrom here on PE, but I did check with Mike O'Neal who was responsible for the original CD press (on Black Moon). He told me there are only 3 copies in existence. It was only a demo, and 2 of the 5 have been destroyed. It's not something that's ever been for sale on ebay for example. I just can't imagine the demos being pressed in Canada, but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    RE: Maelstrom. It's probably a different band than the US one (from Indianapolis). The descriptions don't really fit the music. BUT.... and this is the interesting part - I've read that "On the Gulf" was a private press "out of Canada".

I mentioned this in another post we had about Maelstrom here on PE, but I did check with Mike O'Neal who was responsible for the original CD press (on Black Moon). He told me there are only 3 copies in existence. It was only a demo, and 2 of the 5 have been destroyed. It's not something that's ever been for sale on ebay for example. I just can't imagine the demos being pressed in Canada, but who knows?
    In fairness to Maelstrom (whoever they are), another Canadian magazine covered the same VdGG '76 tour and had this to say about the opening act (much better):

Sherbrooke October 6th

The Van der Graaf tour commences tonight in Sherbrooke. Many fans came up from Montreal and its surrounding area. Obviously the Salle Maurice O'Bready offers better acoustics than the Centre Paul-Sauvé.

There was an opening act: Maelstrom, a progressive band from Trois-Rivières. They are a little like (Gentle) Giant, especially the way they hop around the stage but the music is full of hidden treasures that give the group a distinct personality. Apart from the drummer (who joined the band a month ago), Maelstrom is a very tight band and each member seem to share the same inspiration. Sometimes medieval, sometimes cosmic, the musicians in Maelstrom take on with simplicity such subjects as laughter, luck and royalty. I would also like to mention that the vibraphonist / percussionist Robert Lepine literally blew me away with his performance. A gnomish, crazed talking pantomime would further add to the spectacle by haunting Maelstrom and proceed to announce the song titles in his own theatrical way.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    I'll second The Box. Though not from the seventies, their "d'apres le Horla De Maupassant", recorded in 2009 is excellent. The vocals are top notch imo. It's not overly complex, but touches enough Prog buttons to make plenty of joyful listens on my cd player (yes, I still have one of those....). Some gorgeous melodies too, particularly in the first track, "Ouverture". I believe that's french for Overture.

I don't think they started out as a Prog outfit (eighties, perhaps?), but then out of the blue decided to venture into it with d'apres. Someone who is more knowledgeable can chime in.
    They are from Quebec, and they started as a New Wave pop band in the 80's and took a new age prog turn in the 2000's with "Black Dog THere" and made a excellent Retro Prog cd "D'Aprés le Horla de Maupassant" who was supposed to have a english version, but it never came out.

I don't think I've seen any mention of Les Champignons. One very mature album for its time.

I'm generally not overly critical of 70's Quebecois bands , partly because I lived the heydays (albeit mainly from Toronto), but the "scene" seemed to be magical for me (a totally different vibe to Toronto's with Webster, Rush, Triumph, FM, etc...). Going to the French-speaking Etienne Brulé High School, there was a strong following of what was happening in Montreal.
    But Le temps was definitely not among those I liked, even a bit...

Aside from that, this thread has been very extensive. I just want to make a correction to one band name listed. The band is called "Le Temps". While both their albums were decent, I'd say they are to Harmonium what Sinkadus was to Anglagard.
    I like the analogy, but to be honest, I find them to beeven inferior to what Sinkadus was to Anglagard. Yeah, it's clear they tried to follow Harmonium's momentum, but simply didn't cut the mustard.

I don't know what took over me to rebuy both their albums in CD soeme 8 years ago, because I didn't keep their vinyls for a very long time in the later 70's... I guess I wanted to reassess my opinion, and buying the CDs was the only way about it.

So if anybody's interested >> PM me (friendly price)

Quote Originally Posted by markinottawa View Post
    >Oasis, a cacophonic group from Ottawa

These guys appeared on the first Connivence LP
    Yes, and they kind of stood out from the rest of the line-up ...

They were more JR/F than the general Prog Folk tendency of the rest of the album.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    some that haven't been mentioned:

Av'nir(2 albums)
    Bregent-Partir Polar Ailleurs
    Concert-s/t
    Andre Duchesne-Le temps des Bombes
    Claude Dubois-Fable D'Espace
    Eden-s/t
    W.D. Fisher-s/t
    Serge Locat-Transfert
    Nathan Mahl-Parallel Eccentricities
    L'Orient D'O-s/t
    Yvan Ouellet-Le Chant des Choses
    Jacques Tom Rivest-s/t
    Daniel Valois-Le Matin des Musiciens
    Mychael Danna-Elements
    Aut'Chose-several albums(may be a little out of place here, but I dig 'em)
    I don't know every album you list, but from them, I'd say that those I bolded out are likely to please progheads... The rest (at least the ones I know) are not specifically prog, but have some songs (usually the longer ones) susceptible to arise interest from progheads
    Av'nir is harder rock friom what I remember

Nathan Mahl is from Ontario, methinks (dare I even say Ottawa and mid-north Ontario)... and from the 90's and 00's , even if their roots go back to the 80's

Speaking of French-speaking Ontario, CANO's first three are outstanding, (yes even the third, despite the schizophrenic nature (the Fr/En duality), the first two being amongst the best prog folk from Canada. These guys came fropm Subdury commune and survived on different art forms (much like Conventum did in Montreal),and music was only one of their dimension (CANO means Compagnie Artistique du Nouvel Ontario)
    The first two have been reissued in CD...

The only Cano I have is "Tous Dans L'Même Bateau". It's decent but it never made me seek out any others...

Speaking of Aut'Chose, Lucien Francoeur appears on the s/t Kosmos release by Voidvod drummer Michel Langevin, that came out a few years back. It's a very good record that tips it hat to certain prog and krautrock bands that Michel listened to as a youth. The only vocal track is with Francoeur spewing out some urbain poetry reminiscent of some things he did with Aut'Chose.