Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SGM last show up on Youtube....in 3D.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    For me

Of Natural History
    In Glorious Times
    Grand Openings
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Dan! His bass sound is also massive and quite nasty.
    Hellya! This is one of my favorite hallmarks of SGM. A similar sound can be found on Combat Astronomy's Dreams no Longer Hesitate.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Hellya! This is one of my favorite hallmarks of SGM. A similar sound can be found on Combat Astronomy's Dreams no Longer Hesitate.
    What's that? Is Dan in it? Is it a "Just Eric-Endorsed Product"?

Remember death growls make me nervous and give me a nasty rash on my inner thighs and on my central gluteus maximus. I much prefer the smooth sounds of guys like Barry Manilow and Walter Cheese N. Dick.

I agree, In Glorius Times is their album. Salt Crown is my favorite track.

It's a real pity the live DVD, the movie and the final SGM album never saw the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Great album recommended to me by Udi, it's Elaine DiFalco on vocals that work really well, it's a masterpiece.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

What's that? Is Dan in it? Is it a "Just Eric-Endorsed Product"?

Remember death growls make me nervous and give me a nasty rash on my inner thighs and on my central gluteus maximus. I much prefer the smooth sounds of guys like Barry Manilow and Walter Cheese N. Dick.
    The bass player and main composer for the band is James Huggett who used to hang out here at PE.
    You can get all their stuff at bandcamp:
    http://combat-astronomy.bandcamp.com/music

I would agree that Dreams No Longer Hesitate is probably their best, but I dig most of what they've done. They just released a new one called Time Distort Nine recently but I haven't had time to get intimate with it.

In Glorious Times is my favorite of the SGM threesome and then backwards from there in chronological order.
    My fiancee loves SGM too and her ringtone on her phone is The Widening Eye...

Any SGM fans out there that feel that this is their best studio album of the three? It was my least favorite but its gaining ground pretty quickly with each successive spin.
    ahmmm... not sure if I can call it 'the best of the three', but love this album very much... not less than 'of Natural'.
    According to Per, Nils brother, dont know much, except of the information on the internet: He was ill and suffered from bi-polar syndrom. at last he Committed suicide.
    the voice messgages on the telephone answering machine are great, today they won't be able to do such an album, with all the SMS/text messages/mobile phone system. but the music is the main thing of course... love 'the Salt Crown', 'Angel of Repose'. also 'Helpless Corpses Enactment' (with the James Joyse lyrics). It took me some time to get accustomed to that track, it's not my usuall taste, but finally, I think what they've done here with the lyrics is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    My fiancee loves SGM too and her ringtone on her phone is The Widening Eye...
    You've just made all the eligible bachelors on PE extremely jealous! That girl's a keeper for sure!!!!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I would agree that Dreams No Longer Hesitate is probably their best, but I dig most of what they've done.
    The band is quite proficient, but Dreams levitates to a wholly other level with Elaine's vox. This is essential contemporary Zeuhl-avant-progressive stuff with a potential appeal far beyond the tired restrictions of the "inner 'prog' genre".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Does anyone know if the SGM DVD of the last tour will ever get done? If not, why? Time issues? Poor video/audio?

neil

I doubt if it will ever get done. No new information for several years already. But I'm still hoping for a DVD, a high quality document of a SGM live performance is need. The CD's are great, but the live expericence was the real thing. Luckily I saw the 4 times.

chalkpie

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by karel hupjé View Post
    I doubt if it will ever get done. No new information for several years already. But I'm still hoping for a DVD, a high quality document of a SGM live performance is need. The CD's are great, but the live expericence was the real thing. Luckily I saw the 4 times.
    The strange thing is that their only official live disc is, well, not in my top 3 SGM albums

^ That sucks bro.

Does anybody know if there are plans to release an official DVD or possibly some other recorded tunes? I seem to recall talk of something a while back...
    I saw RabbitRabbit last year and chatted with Carla and Matthias before the show. She said that there was some push to try to release the final show on DVD, but didn't have details.

Here's a mini-SGM reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    For me

Of Natural History
    In Glorious Times
    Grand Openings
    I assume you heard the Thin Pillow release by David Shamrock as well, right? With an alternate version of "Ambugoton"?
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 11-02-2014 at 04:02 PM.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I assume you heard the Thin Pillow release by David Shamrock as well, right? With an alternate version of "Ambugation"?
    Nope, checking it out now.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I assume you heard the Thin Pillow release by David Shamrock as well, right? With an alternate version of "Ambugoton"?
    One of the finest albums out there, IMO. David Shamrock wrote all the compositions, and plays most of the instruments. (including drums, piano, and acoustic guitars). The compositions are varied from each other, each one has it's own flavour and technics. The playing, as the sound and production, are superb.

Shamrock is, as they said, "still waters run deep". Wish this affort would gain a better recognition, and wish for another albums as well ...

Quote Originally Posted by Totemist View Post
    Shamrock is, as they said, "still waters run deep". Wish this affort would gain a better recognition, and wish for another albums as well ...
    I remember Mike Johnson saying that he'd advised Shamrock to excell at any instrument except for the guitar, as there were basically too many axemen out there already. Listening to Thin Pillow it strikes me that the guy doesn't even NEED to better his abilities in that department. It would be damn interesting to see what he'd be able to achieve with his very own band or something.