Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Secret Chiefs 3 Book of Souls Folio A thread

Reading the "This press-release " yet again - this is SO *entertaining*
    I swear Trey has got a way with words almost as good as he has with notes
    Should write a book one day...

Got it - I'm so hyped feel like a teenager again
    Now I need to find some free leisure time, a dark room and my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones...

i like maybe two or three tracks (those being some of Drive and the Ishraqiyuns)...as a fan of music along these lines typically, i think i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it just doesn't do it for me?..to me there's no discernible craft to well-written melodies/consonance to sink my teeth into as SONGS...however "hermetic" and "learned" you want to justify these guys as, it all just comes off as goofy dicking around to me...shrug, next.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    i like maybe two or three tracks (those being some of Drive and the Ishraqiyuns)...as a fan of music along these lines typically, i think i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it just doesn't do it for me?..to me there's no discernible craft to well-written melodies/consonance to sink my teeth into as SONGS...however "hermetic" and "learned" you want to justify these guys as, it all just comes off as goofy dicking around to me...shrug, next.
    mmm... one man's wine the other man's poison

all I can say after a single listen is that Trey has a new weapon in his ever growing arsenal - There is bassoon on this album - a lot of Bassoon ! which is always a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    FYI, people who have pre-ordered it from the Web of Mimicry site are starting to receive copies in the mail today... I think it's first-ordered-first-served...

- Matt
    Well....despite ordering after all the pre's and whatnot...I got my shipping notice last night, less than two days after ordering. So whatever shipping process you kids are using is alllll right by me
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sounds less middle eastern to me with more space. Very good so far.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

mmm...
    To be honest I'm slightly underwhelmed
    9 years of waiting for a 39:07 album that contains at least 3 tracks that have already appeared on previous releases...

Udi - Which songs appear elsewhere? I didn't see any duplicates but I don't have all their albums.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Maybe the titles are diffrent but these songs have appeared previously

The Electromagnetic Azoth: Potestas Clavium
    Post-Identity Hour (AMS World Newscorp)
    Traditionalists: La Chanson De Jacky

Just got this in today and listened this evening... I like! Maybe your expectations were a little too high Udi? Have you given it another chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Just got this in today and listened this evening... I like! Maybe your expectations were a little too high Udi? Have you given it another chance?
    Yes probably ...
    waiting 9 years to a follow up of a great album like Book Of Horizons and reading that press release ...
    Still I'm not saying its not good but somehow there is hardly anything new here besides those french flavors and that bassoon that I dig

One thing to bear in mind:

Folio A is only the first half of the complete Book of Souls album. It contains no tracks at all from two of the SC3 sub-bands: Holy Vehm (extreme metal), and The Unspeakable* (unknown musical genre). So if it sounds a bit incomplete, that's because it is. Think of it, perhaps, as the first disc of the White Album. Also, much like that self-same White Album, it's having to follow a brilliant kitchen sink record, and perhaps inevitably coming up short.

- JH

*that is just what I call them - the band name, symbolized by a pinwheel of five blades, is literally unspeakable according to Trey.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I have to agree with Udi for the most part. Rather...underwhelming. Hopefully Book B will be better.

And I have to say that the track La Chanson de Jacky is easily my least favorite SC3 track by units of measurement larger than the diameter of the sun.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

finally got the physical cd
    even the sleeve is underwhelming ...

Finally got mine in the mail on Friday. After two spins....there are some things that I dig, and I'm liking it well enough. Am I blown away? No, but I don't expect to be. Personally, I've come to accept at this point that this is a band that often blows me away live, but rarely so on recorded material. Even Book of Horizons, doesn't get that many spins.

Also, I don't buy the argument that the short running time is justified by it being two parts. After all this time, they should both be a decent length, I'd say. One thing that I've never understood is that, I've seen concerts of them, where they've played some amazing stuff, and yet a lot of it has never reached a CD, as far as I know. And I'm not talking about some John Zorn, jazz covers either. I'll never forget seeing them play a gig with SGM in Buffalo and they played some epic, metal infused numbers, that were awesome, but I've never heard them anywhere else.

Anyways, despite that, I do like the new disc, and am happy that a band of this nature can thrive and continue to make music.

neil

chalkpie
    Some quick words on this one:

Overall, I think I dig this more than Book of Horizons. It may boil down to the fact that it sounds less "Digital Performer" and more like a cohesive work, production-wise. What does that mean? Don't ask. Even with the electronics, it is also more organic as well - love the bassoon!

The amount of detail in this recording is insane. Wow. There is a stream-of-consciousness that I enjoy as well...its hard to place into words. Favorite track right now: "Scorched Earth Saturnalia". There is a tinge of Civilization Phaze III that I can relate to, and I told Udi this - I hear a bit of 'Tim Smith' in the track "Potestas Clavium"! Maybe I'm nuts.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I have to agree with Udi for the most part. Rather...underwhelming. Hopefully Book B will be better.

And I have to say that the track La Chanson de Jacky is easily my least favorite SC3 track by units of measurement larger than the diameter of the sun.
    Ha! The cheese is obviously intentional, but its so bad its good.

chalkpie
    One more word before I sign off: Trey probably wins the award for a "pop" artist overusing the phrygian dominant scale to the point of nausea (the middle eastern sound you hear almost everywhere on these albums). He would probably take this as a compliment. Is there a grammy for that?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Ha! The cheese is obviously intentional, but its so bad its good.
    Idk...it's so far beyond cheese to my ears. And no doubt it is intentional...if anything that makes it worse IMO.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

With many connections to SC3, Atomic Ape's new album out on Web of Mimicry records is really stellar! It is the closest to their sound on Book of Horizons, which is my favorite SC3 release. Here's what the label says (www.webofmimicry.com) . . .

Here's some good news for fans of meticulously crafted instrumental music and records with major production efforts behind them. Mimicry Recordings artists formerly known as "Orange Tulip Conspiracy" have returned with a new lineup, a new sound, a new name -Atomic Ape- and most exciting of all, a new album called Swarm. The now-LA-based unit is still led by Jason Schimmel (Estradasphere), who has been honing this project for many years at studios in Seattle, San Francisco, and most notably at his formidable commercial studio in LA, The Bunker. He says it took over 4 years to record from beginning it to completing it... maybe he contracted some time-dilating virus during his time playing bass in Secret Chiefs 3 (rumors of him working on some of these tunes as far back as 2008 have been circulated). Also there's the cast of 25 musicians involved beyond the core live band, among them Mimicry-familiar names like Trey Spruance, Eyvind Kang, Tim Young, Devin Hoff, Jessika Kenney, Dave Abramson, Timba Harris, Steve Moore, and other heavy luminaries like Joe Doria, Danny Frankel, and Mike Stone. With the ethic of seeing something worth doing all the way through, and doing things the hard-but-right way for the musical aesthetics of the project, Swarm was mixed to 1/2" tape using only analog outboard equipment (this last step manned by the eminently capable Mimicry-familiar Justin Phelps). It's details like this - above all the care and consideration - that make the surf-drenched alternate universe of lost TV-land cop show soundtracks with 80 billion styles of music found on this record actually work - brilliantly. Mimicry is always proud to offer records like this one, those self-produced obsessions that go beyond the man hours, the massive track counts, the densely layered sections, meticulous packaging and art, and the dizzying range of musical styles and performances from all those heavy players... beyond all that, into the details!
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

I'm enjoying the Atomic Ape album a lot. Terrific album.
    Ian

Yep. Great band, really great live as well.

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm enjoying the Atomic Ape album a lot. Terrific album.
    The first song "Red Tide" has this killer bass line, and with the horn section grooving on top, it just channels Femi Kuti!!

They Orange Tulip Conspiracy album is on their site as well. Do you know how that compares to the Atomic Ape? I have been following Estradasphere for several years, and any permutation of the band will be a winner to me.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

I need to get this! Sounds right in my wheel house.

neil