Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Phillips thread

So Ant's huge solo catalog isn't daunting enough for ya, huh? LOL Life really becomes interesting when one goes after the CDs where he is on a track or two.
    Seriously, he is on many albums as a guest. And there are some real gems out there (as people above point out). You know you are a serious fan when you almost have everything from that range too. (I should know...i am one of those fans!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    So Ant's huge solo catalog isn't daunting enough for ya, huh? LOL Life really becomes interesting when one goes after the CDs where he is on a track or two.
    Seriously, he is on many albums as a guest. And there are some real gems out there (as people above point out). You know you are a serious fan when you almost have everything from that range too. (I should know...i am one of those fans!)
    any recommendations of the best ones? I have the mike Rutherford camel and steve Hackett albums that he is on. having trouble thinking of any others off the top of my head.

just remembered the intergalactic touring band too! that is a fun one.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    any recommendations of the best ones? I have the mike Rutherford camel and steve Hackett albums that he is on. having trouble thinking of any others off the top of my head.

just remembered the intergalactic touring band too! that is a fun one.
    Here is the link to his site that shows his guest appearances:
    http://www.anthonyphillips.co.uk/dis...y/sessions.htm
    (i'd say the Camel CD and Smallcreep's Day are the clear winners there. The Hackett "Out of the Tunnels Mouth" CD is very good in general, not just because Ant is on it.

And the CDs where he only has one track:
    http://www.anthonyphillips.co.uk/discography/lone.htm
    (I like the CD "An English Country Garden." It has two tracks by Ant.)

But in general, the deal is that you'll end up spending a fair bit of dough to get a track here and a track there. I suggest going through all of Ant's own stuff first.

And the CDs where he only has one track:
    http://www.anthonyphillips.co.uk/discography/lone.htm
    (I like the CD "An English Country Garden." It has two tracks by Ant.)
    I see on the website there are 3 'orchestral' pieces by Ant on that album. How are they? Similar to Tarka? or are they shorter pieces like 'The Boulevard of Fallen Leaves'? I see orchestral pieces on a few of the other comps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I see on the website there are 3 'orchestral' pieces by Ant on that album. How are they? Similar to Tarka? or are they shorter pieces like 'The Boulevard of Fallen Leaves'? I see orchestral pieces on a few of the other comps as well.
    Thanks for the correction. There are in fact three.
    They are shorter pieces and are very accessible and pretty.

The rest of the tracks--if memory serves--are nice but not great.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    If you go to the very first post in this thread, you'll see that I wrote about an early version of the Seventh Heaven album that was previewed across a couple of sets hosted at Andrew Skeet's Soundcloud page preceding the release of the album. If I knew what I was talking about 5 years ago, there were two tracks that didn't make it onto the album, "Perpetual Motion" and "Waltz". They're also not up at his Soundcloud page any longer.

But, look:
    https://www.discogs.com/Anthony-Phil...elease/6051201
    https://www.discogs.com/Anthony-Phil...elease/6050054

How does someone get their hands on Ant's library music?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

How does someone get their hands on Ant's library music?
    Some of it is on Missing Links Volume I-III available at http://www.anthonyphillips.co.uk/shop.htm

Missing Links Volumes I - III
    A triple CD re-issue of the first three albums in the Missing Links series - Finger Painting, The Sky Road and Time & Tide. All three albums now have new artwork and with a total playing time of three hours, this set provides excellent value.

The Missing Links series was begun as a way to fill in some of the gaps in Ant's commercially released musical output and allow fans the opportunity to hear some of his Library and Television music. The series began in 1989 with the release of the first volume Finger Painting (initially made available as a limited edition cassette release) which featured selections from various projects that Ant had written and recorded over the previous ten years. A second volume - The Sky Road - followed in 1994, featuring a further selection of Library and Television pieces alongside previously unreleased album pieces and archive tracks. The third volume - Time & Tide - was released in 1997 and brought together for the first time on a commercial release the best of Ant's collaborative work with Joji Hirota, much of which has been featured on award-winning programmes in the long-running Survival series.

Yes, I know about those, but what about the releases that came out on the Atmosphere label, linked above.
    (and Amazon got rid of the ability to search by Label name)

I asked about them on his Facebook page, and I'll post here if I get any answer.

Thanks for the correction. There are in fact three.
    They are shorter pieces and are very accessible and pretty.

The rest of the tracks--if memory serves--are nice but not great.
    Thanks for the info, I'm wanting to pick up the 'Harmony For Elephants' thing as well. I wonder if anyone knows if Kickstarter is the only way to get this? I tried emailing Greg Walker about this, but emails don't seem to be going thru to Greg.

I suppose it was inevitable,

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...d-2cd-edition/

I never picked up this album, having heard my brother's vinyl copy. The Archives sets gave us some of the instrumental works-in-progress versions of a few of these tracks, which don't seem to be included in this.

I never picked up this album, having heard my brother's vinyl copy. The Archives sets gave us some of the instrumental works-in-progress versions of a few of these tracks, which don't seem to be included in this.
    Cool! I like a lot of the tunes on that album, and it could benefit from a remastering I think.

I bought it on LP, but it was my least favorite AP-album, so I'll pass on this 2CD-version.

Does anyone knows if Esoteric has any plans to (re)release Tarka in the future ? I'm about to buy it on CD but could happily wait for a re-mastered deluxe version (like Slow Dance and 1984) with extra tracks,etc.... But since it was a Harry Williamson/Anthony Phillips collaboration maybe Esoteric doesn't own the rights for this one ?

This is kind of cool. A 2014 live performance by some fans, 7:00 of Slow Dance. The man himself was in attendance.

Question for the fans, does someone who has everything else need to get Harvest of the Heart?

Question for the fans, does someone who has everything else need to get Harvest of the Heart?
    if you want everything else and everything leftover...

I haven't listened to it in awhile I don't recall being blown away by any of it, but it is a enjoyable compilation beyond the few exclusives and has a nice book. so if you can get it for a good price I say go for it.

I was just thinking about this album the other day. Most of the songs are actually pretty good I think, but could have been better with a stronger vocalist. I actually like Richard Scott's voice, and had he sung more it would maybe have worked better. I'll probably get this, if nothing else, out of curiosity for what's on the 2nd disc. 'Falling For Love' could have been a nice single. Definitely a moody, good song, but my favorite song is probably 'Guru'.

Too bad it's not going to be a 5.1 DVD edition.

Maybe that'll be after we've all bought one of these.

Big fan, i had listened a lot to The Advent recently and to continue the pastoral atmosphere I had pulled out some of his cd's among them Tarka that I like a lot. I didn't saw it mentioned so far. Any fans ? it reminds me Vaughan Williams especially the beautiful epic ending.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Who is Jonathan Dann (he writes notes for at least some of the Esoteric PP & P releases). I mean, what’s his relation with Ant?

He manages Ant's website and helps with locating and archiving tapes and other materials, etc. I've communicated with him via email in the past. Lovely chap!

New release of Gypsy Suite, remastered with a bonus track...

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...anded-edition/

New release of Gypsy Suite, remastered with a bonus track...

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...anded-edition/
    I don’t think I can resist!