Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Music From Norway: Just how important is it, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Explosive progressive fusion from Krokofant, with the help of Storlokken and Ingebrigt Haker Flaten. It kills.

Good stuff !

Knut Bjørnar Asphol: Tabloid Red - an ambient guitar-album, somewhat in the Eivind Aarset-vein, although less rocking.
    Features the usual suspects from Norway (which was the reason why I picked this unknown chap from the bin).

This Game even has an official video:

Other albums from Asphol feature Arve Henriksen and NP Molvær.

The Mechanical Fair - Live (Full Concert) / Ola Kvernberg & The Trondheim Soloists

Here’s a slice of real Forest Prog:

https://eldsmark.bandcamp.com/releases

which was brought up by Daulinghorn on PA.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post

beautiful, pastoral music in 4/4
    could play this at a party full of non-proggers and get no complaints

I like it!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    beautiful, pastoral music in 4/4
    could play this at a party full of non-proggers and get no complaints

I like it!
    Not the most challenging music you'll hear all year, but drenched in the kind of atmosphere that will have fans of Bo Hansson reaching for the rolling mat. I, too, dig it.

Bandcamp Profile

Sadly, in North America, the overall culture is one of exclusion: one can like this or that, but not this and that.
    Cool line. Totally loved the article. Never knew any of this but yeah, that's way cool what they are doing.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Credits
    Drums, Percussion, Guitar [Litt Strenger], Other [Pålegg] – C.E. Berg
    Flute, Acoustic Guitar [Stål- Og Nylonstrenger], Electric Guitar, Electric Organ [Hammond-orgel], Synth [Arjo], Clavinet [Hohner], Mellotron, Piano – R.E. Túritrøen
    Illustration [Cover] – E. Gjerdaas
    Mastered By – Jacob Holm Lupo*
    Recorded By [Drums] – Kristian Frøland

Would love to hear this from CD.

added in the prog folk genre in PA
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Talking about progressive bands from Norway:

A band that I am currently obsessed with is "Weserbergland" .. yes, it's name of a german low mountain landscape but I assure you the band is from Norway.

"Stepping beyond any discernible rock paradigms and venturing into terra incognita where electro-acoustic meets contemporary classical meets electronic meets some weird, futuristic remnant of kraut."

They just released their second album "Am Ende der Welt". It's essentially a 1-track album with very experimental stuff. Their first album "Sehr Kosmisch - Ganz Progisch" is easier to digest.

Bandcamp: https://weserbergland.bandcamp.com/

^ Weserbergland is Ketil Vestrum Einarsen's band. He's a trained flutist and composer with a résumé in Norwegian rock and jazz that'd take an hour just to assemble in writing, but granted he's the biggest globetrotter in the annales of modern progressive here in Norway; Motorpsycho, Jaga Jazzist, White Willow, Geir Lysne Ensemble, Ignore, Panzerpappa - you name it.

Both Weserbergs are ace, IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ ^^ It's maybe worth saying, for those that got the first Weserbergland, that the second is really pretty different. The debut was - to my ears - essentially a future-facing take on motorik Krautrock; kinda Neu! for the 21st century. The new one is much more experimental.

I liked the first one, but not sure if I would have sprung for more of the same; so far I like the second one quite a bit more.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Cool line. Totally loved the article. Never knew any of this but yeah, that's way cool what they are doing.
    Thanks,for the kind words - and citing that quote (“ Sadly, in North America, the overall culture is one of exclusion: one can like this or that, but not this and that.”) from the piece. When I started traveling a lot in Europe, but especially Norway, between 2006 and 2014 (when chronic fatigue syndrome stopped me in my tracks), that was one of the first things that struck me. Not that there aren’t people, here in North America, with inclusionary tastes, but as a broad generalization I found those folks to be far harder to find than in Europe/Norway, where it seemed (at the time...I fear things may have changed in the last 6 years but I hope I’m wrong) far easier to find people whose habits - not just music, but other things as well - were far broader.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

^ ^^ It's maybe worth saying, for those that got the first Weserbergland, that the second is really pretty different. The debut was - to my ears - essentially a future-facing take on motorik Krautrock; kinda Neu! for the 21st century. The new one is much more experimental.

I liked the first one, but not sure if I would have sprung for more of the same; so far I like the second one quite a bit more.
    Yup, I find their second much more involved.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'll allow myself to crash this thread with my own album: My band The Opium Cartel is releasing our 3rd album on June 5th. Three singles from the album are already up on our bandcamp and can be sampled there. The line-up features Wobbler/Tusmørke/White Willow's Lars Fredrik Frøislie on drums (not keys!), Silje Huleboer, known among other things for her work with noise artist Sten Ove Toft, on vocals, Ole Øvstedal of Spirits of the Dead on bass, Airbag's Bjørn Riis guesting on lead guitar, as well as contributions from Russian-Israeli saxophone player Ilia Skibinsky (Brecker bros, Larry Graham), Israeli singer Leah Marcu of prog metallers Tillian and Russian violinist Maria Gregoryeva. I probably left someone out. The music ranges from art-pop (think The Blue Nile/late Roxy Music) via 80s-infused prog-pop to dreamy 4AD stuff. It's all geared a lot more towards my 80s inspirations than White Willow's obvious 70s inspirations.
    https://theopiumcartel.bandcamp.com/

^ Great work on the Elds Mark there, Jacob. This So reminds me of the rather unique ambience of (Swedish) Ragnarök, an approach which hasn't really been explored much at all.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I just received the Elds Mark yesterday. I've spun it twice, but keep getting distracted. Still, it's held my attention and I hear lots of really beautiful and interesting parts. Looking forward to some quiet time where I can give it my full focus, but I'm sensing this will be a winner.

Bill

Daniel Herskedal's Call for Winter, released last week, is one of the best records I've heard in a long time - achingly beautiful & visionary.

Recorded by Herskedal solo, it reminds me of John Surman's more meditative solo records. The music is built on exquisite basslines of rich, resonant, tuba; over which Herskedal layers searching, keening, bass trumpet & trumpet lines in the style of Arve Henriksen. At times, it sounds as if the music is blending the warm melancholy of colliery bands from the North of England with supersilent jazz improvisation. Tunes like The Cliff Nest, & the title track, are graced with simple, repeated, melodic lines which sound as if they could be interpretations of ideal pop tunes that you've never quite heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I just received the Elds Mark yesterday. I've spun it twice, but keep getting distracted. Still, it's held my attention and I hear lots of really beautiful and interesting parts. Looking forward to some quiet time where I can give it my full focus, but I'm sensing this will be a winner.

Bill
    Still waiting for mine, and it doesn't have to cross the pond (just the Skagerakk).

The dude is seriously off with his timing announcements. He claimed the CDs would be there with him in mid-may and would be mailing them ASAP. When I reminded him first week of June, he took an upset tone and promised to send it ASAP. One month later , still nothing.

In the meantime Moleslope arrived from Japan after the post re-opened two weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Still waiting for mine, and it doesn't have to cross the pond (just the Skagerakk).

The dude is seriously off with his timing announcements. He claimed the CDs would be there with him in mid-may and would be mailing them ASAP. When I reminded him first week of June, he took an upset tone and promised to send it ASAP. One month later , still nothing.

In the meantime Moleslope arrived from Japan after the post re-opened two weeks ago.
    Ironically, I'm still waiting for the Molescope, which I ordered around the same time. I beleive I did get a ship notice on it. I'm in no rush, it comes when it comes. I'm just happy to the the damn CDs. I got very polite notices from both of these bands talking about shipping delays. I told them not to worry about it and ship when they could, so I'm happy.

Bill

The new Hedvig Mollestad album is out, featuring Torstein Lofthus from Elephant9 on drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Moleslope arrived from Japan after the post re-opened two weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The new Hedvig Mollestad album is out, featuring Torstein Lofthus from Elephant9 on drums.
    I looked for samples of these 2 artists and couldnt find any... got links?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Moleslope (japanese band) is on bandcamp - and in the non-english canterbury thread there are links to them.

The whole album is on Youtube and Spotify AFAIK.

https://runegrammofon.com/collection...-ekhidna-lp-cd

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Torstein Lofthus is a fucking monster. The album - my first real exposure to mrs Mollestad music - is great. She has this rocking edge in her style which is rare and precious.