Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Music From Norway: Just how important is it, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    He got a tough lesson down here in Spain. I happened to attend their recent gig in Valencia, during which he started to boast how much better his duo is compared to Simon & Garfunkel, which to him had little appeal and allegedly had never released a good album, just a bunch of singles.
    Just goes to show how little he's changed. Not that this surprises me in any way.

Back in the late 90s he would insist that the phenomenon of "fuzz bass" was an invention by Motorpsycho, even when you documented otherwise. If you played him the tiniest bit of offbeat or fringe sound from a world of pop/rock somewhat outside of what his pseudo-aspergerian cosmology would allow for him to perceive, he'd put up a most uncharming grin - as if you were a jerk to listen to such "strange stuff". They were both instantly critical of my own band at the time (well, further back, in '95) on hearing us, promptly and laconically asking "Who the hell do you people think you are?" due to being confronted with music which obviously broke their frame of reference - which was pitifully limited, to say the least. They both admitted to not knowing dick about anything "rock" from before 1970 outside of Nick Drake and a handful of others. The whole scene was embarrassing, especially seeing how our keys player was a conservatory graduate devoid of patience with "foolish folks", as he'd put it. To this very day I have to say that I do not get the impression that the two have moved too far beyond their initial Belle&Sebastian-antics, musically or mentally.

Erlend has never touched a drop of alcohol, btw. He would always state arguments amounting to "People behave differently when entoxicated, and difference scares me". A true and most visionary singer/songwriter and MAN OF THE WORLD!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I've always been curious why Norway lags so far behind Finland and Sweden musically. I have over 150 Finnish and Swedish cd's in my collection, but only about 5 Norwegian cd's. That's a huge difference.
    Lags behind? I've about 1,000 Norwegian CDs in my collection...and far fewer Swedish and Danish ones. If you think your owning just 5 is representative of a small, underfunded music biz in Norway then you are on a different planet. Norway has supported the arts (if you read my article) in ways few other countries now can. There are many reasons.

But you are missing out, my friend, on a lot of great music. Just for a start (beyond all the ECM recordings that feature Norwegians), check out these labels. They've enough releases, collectively, to match or dwarf your Swedish and Finish collection:

Jazzland
    Hubro
    Rune Grammofon
    Smalltown Supersound
    Curling Legs
    ODIN
    Inner Ear
    Jazzaway
    Losen
    Termo
    NORCD

I don't know where you are from , yesstiles; but methinks you are simply unaware of what's out there. To suggest the Norwegian scene is anything but massive - that the number of world class musicians (and, in many cases, world famous except in North America as many have given up wasting time and money over here when they can make a more than perfectly good living touring Europe and Asia) isn't very much disproportionate to the size of its small population (about 5 million) - tells me, at the very least, you need to read my article. It may not talk about music you like, but it will give you an idea of the infrastructure that exists in Norway to provide incredible support for musicians (though that is changing, to some extent, with the advent of a more right-leaning government with the last federal election)....

Cheers.,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Scrotum Scissor is a groupie of all of these bands mentioned. He acquired VD (Viking disease) years ago because he refused to wear his helmet.
    Oops. Uh. oh.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    ^^^
    I found the CD at my library about a month ago. They're playing some US dates in June, including the Rochester Jazz Festival.
    And Montreal, where I'm hoping to see them. I've seen Tord many times, and saw Simin once, at a Dutch event in Amsterdam focused on emerging artists. That she, Tord and Jarle are working together now, in retrospect, seemed almost inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Everything comes in cyclic waves - IF the weird event happens that you get Trump as you next president, it will probably open a floodgate revival of everything un-Trumpy.
    It's different with Norway as it's not a cycle. They made a commitment to cultural education as being a significant part of the societal fabric in the 1960s and they've largely stuck to it ever since. It's what has been singularly responsible for the emergence of so many Norwegian artists, especially in the jazz and improvising communities, in the past 20 years. Cultural education has become so ingrained in Norwegian society that it's possible to decide to be a musician as a profession, and have the kind of life most folks aspire to: not millions, not even close; but a home, a family ... just normal stuff that far more musicians over here have had to struggle to achieve and (if they are able to achieve it) maintain.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Music From Norway: Just how important is it, really? For me? Not really important at all. The Nordic metal bands I like come from Sweden, Finland and Denmark.

Norwegian black metal was never my cup of tea.
    I can only think of two non-black metal Norwegian bands over the last 20 years that I have liked: Leaves Eyes and Atrox.
    Norway is just more than black metal and even the BM bands have veered off of "true black metal" (as evidenced by the incessant bitching of idiots who call themselves fans). And quite a few of those BM musicians are fantastic and do some rather un-BM projects. But One thing about Norway-it's like everybody plays an instrument. I don't think I have see one Norwegian FB page where the person does not play an instrument. They have active jazz, new age and other music scenes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Norway is just more than black metal and even the BM bands have veered off of "true black metal" (as evidenced by the incessant bitching of idiots who call themselves fans). And quite a few of those BM musicians are fantastic and do some rather un-BM projects. But One thing about Norway-it's like everybody plays an instrument.
    That's because they see music education, even, if not permanent, as something everyone should experience. It's the only whole brain activity, so even if kids don't stick with it, doing music lessons of some kind for a couple years in their youth can do nothing but good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    That's because they see music education, even, if not permanent, as something everyone should experience. It's the only whole brain activity, so even if kids don't stick with it, doing music lessons of some kind for a couple years in their youth can do nothing but good for them.
    So true. As a music educator of 20 years, I can only confirm what an impact it has on kids lives. Its a shame that the USA has its priorities and investments on other aspects of daily life, not only in education, but in the garbage that we are fed on a daily basis. We have a TON to learn from countries like Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, etc but we are just not interested because the attitude seems to be one of complacency, and dare I say arrogance. It's an air of "The world needs to learn from us - the greatest country in the world". Don't get me started!

to answer the question... very important as far as I'm concerned. Leprous, Airbag, Pagan's Mind, Umpfel, Warpicks... nough said.

Question answered

Lags behind? I've about 1,000 Norwegian CDs in my collection...and far fewer Swedish and Danish ones. If you think your owning just 5 is representative of a small, underfunded music biz in Norway then you are on a different planet. Norway has supported the arts (if you read my article) in ways few other countries now can. There are many reasons.

But you are missing out, my friend, on a lot of great music. Just for a start (beyond all the ECM recordings that feature Norwegians), check out these labels. They've enough releases, collectively, to match or dwarf your Swedish and Finish collection:

Jazzland
    Hubro
    Rune Grammofon
    Smalltown Supersound
    Curling Legs
    ODIN
    Inner Ear
    Jazzaway
    Losen
    Termo
    NORCD

I don't know where you are from , yesstiles; but methinks you are simply unaware of what's out there. To suggest the Norwegian scene is anything but massive - that the number of world class musicians (and, in many cases, world famous except in North America as many have given up wasting time and money over here when they can make a more than perfectly good living touring Europe and Asia) isn't very much disproportionate to the size of its small population (about 5 million) - tells me, at the very least, you need to read my article. It may not talk about music you like, but it will give you an idea of the infrastructure that exists in Norway to provide incredible support for musicians (though that is changing, to some extent, with the advent of a more right-leaning government with the last federal election)....

Cheers.,
    John
    I know I am viewed as slightly right if Genghis Khan and I am rather adverse to government involvement in the arts (because it becomes state propaganda and this I learned from a now deceased friend), I am dismayed by the way the arts are being defunded. The first written language man had was cave painting and petroglyphs. The first writing a child does in his life is draw pictures. Music was the method of retaining history and spreading news before there was writing. To me, when you cut out music and art, you cut out essential development of how we communicate. The USA used to promote these in my lifetime-I took violin lessons at one time-but we now focus on having kids take tests to justify funding for union bosses and school officials. Nobody is really learning-the electric goes out and folks wander around like lost souls. So, it's not that the USA never did this-we stopped doing it.

I do hope Norway never gives up teaching music and art. You have phenomenal musicians...

What's not to like about Norway. it's almost unreal how many phenomenal musicians/bands are Norwegian. the numbers are staggering. Sweden is pretty fertile ground too.

maybe not everyone's cup of tea but these are merely a fraction

Akasha
    Ampera
    Annot Rhul
    Anti-Depressive Delivery
    Bly De Blyant
    Bushman's Revenge
    Cakewalk
    D'Accord
    Delvoid
    Elephant9
    Fatal Fusion
    Fruitcake
    Gallery
    Gentle Knife
    Green Carnation
    Hedvig Mollestad Trio
    Jono El Grande
    Kaukasus
    Krokofant
    Magic Pie
    Mater Thallium
    Mirramaze
    Morild
    MØRK
    Møster!
    Motorpsycho
    POB
    Panzerpappa
    Seid
    Seven Impale
    Shamblemaths
    Slaves To Fashion
    SOT
    Terramater
    Wobbler
    Last edited by proggosaurus; 06-15-2016 at 12:02 AM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Aunt Mary

+ the jazzers

Rypdal
    Garbarek
    Wesseltoft
    Molvær
    Elephant 9
    Supersilent
    Farmers Market
    Needlepoint
    Paolo Vinaccia
    Eivind Aarset
    Stian Westerhus
    Jaga Jazzist

And a dozen more I forgot right now

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    And one more I forgot right now

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Oh yes - how could I ?

I know I am viewed as slightly right if Genghis Khan and I am rather adverse to government involvement in the arts (because it becomes state propaganda and this I learned from a now deceased friend), I am dismayed by the way the arts are being defunded. The first written language man had was cave painting and petroglyphs. The first writing a child does in his life is draw pictures. Music was the method of retaining history and spreading news before there was writing. To me, when you cut out music and art, you cut out essential development of how we communicate. The USA used to promote these in my lifetime-I took violin lessons at one time-but we now focus on having kids take tests to justify funding for union bosses and school officials. Nobody is really learning-the electric goes out and folks wander around like lost souls. So, it's not that the USA never did this-we stopped doing it.

I do hope Norway never gives up teaching music and art. You have phenomenal musicians...
    They do. And while I find it hard to believe their entire cultural infrastructure could be dismantled, a surprising number of changes have taken place since the latest government took power.

And, to be clear, I'm not a left-leaner; in fact, if anything, I'm a centrist. But like RB above, I see intrinsic value in culture, the arts...and, in particular, music, the only whole brain activity there is and therefore valuable if for no other reason.

And Yes: Norway has a LOT of tremendously talented musicians; more, per capita, than I'd bet most countries have, in fact.

I'll say this for the Norwegians, the Norwegian Radio Orchestra is an outstanding band. Their disc "Perfect Strangers" is IMO the single best "classical" Zappa recording. In terms of performance and vim (and guts) it is far better than the more lauded Ensemble Modern disc and the staid Boulez side (we'll be kind and not even mention the LSO jokes).

If there is an argument to be made for FZ as a "serious" composer, the Norse make it better than anyone.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

They do. And while I find it hard to believe their entire cultural infrastructure could be dismantled, a surprising number of changes have taken place since the latest government took power.

And, to be clear, I'm not a left-leaner; in fact, if anything, I'm a centrist. But like RB above, I see intrinsic value in culture, the arts...and, in particular, music, the only whole brain activity there is and therefore valuable if for no other reason.

And Yes: Norway has a LOT of tremendously talented musicians; more, per capita, than I'd bet most countries have, in fact.
    it's also how involved they get, too-one of the musicians I like is a music producer, sound engineer, studio owner, festival organizer, involved in promoting young talent, I think a music teacher as well. another of them had a record label at one time. they are usually in a dozen bands at one time. they all play a dozen different instruments and are not afraid to cross genres. half of the stuff from Norway that is "metal" is usually called as such by who is on it, not what it sounds like.
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 06-16-2016 at 05:06 AM. Reason: something in the lutefisk i guess

One other thing-Norwegians-I am not sure if it's because they are rabid perfectionists or because they are in a gazillion bands each or what-are not throwing releases out on a regular basis. They approach Boston on the level of how frequently they release albums. Three of my favorite still active bands-Aura Noir, Mayhem and Arcturus-have been around at least 15 years each (or a combined time that is almost as long as Hawkwind's existence), but have less than 20 actual albums between them.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I've always been curious why Norway lags so far behind Finland and Sweden musically. I have over 150 Finnish and Swedish cd's in my collection, but only about 5 Norwegian cd's. That's a huge difference.
    Well if memory serves, Sweden is the region's historical dominant country in terms of culture and industry... It has more or less twice the population of the other countries , and resources that only the least populated Norway can match... and unlike the others, Norway (who's also not in EC) has got a really difficult geography (OK, Denmark's population is mostly on their islands, but the whole thing is fairly flat)

Aside from these geopolitical considerations (I could've talked of the isolated Iceland as well), I would agree than Norway in the 70's was lagging behind to the other three in terms of rock only (but not in jazz or folk), but AFAIAC, Denmark has +/- vanished from my radar since that decade, whereas Norway has become the strongest (in my collection anyways) of the countries since the millennium.

So over the last 50 y, I'd say that Norway is +/- tied with Finland for second behind Sweden, and Denmark is far behind, maybe even behind Iceland (Thürsaflokkur, Sigur Ros, Bjork, etc...)

Cheers.,
    John
    No mention of Jan Garbarek or Terje Rypdal either??

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    So true. As a music educator of 20 years, I can only confirm what an impact it has on kids lives. Its a shame that the USA has its priorities and investments on other aspects of daily life, not only in education, but in the garbage that we are fed on a daily basis. We have a TON to learn from countries like Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, etc but we are just not interested because the attitude seems to be one of complacency, and dare I say arrogance. It's an air of "The world needs to learn from us - the greatest country in the world". Don't get me started!
    Thanks!! you saved me from coming up with a text that wouldn't have sounded so fine and might've been misinterpreted as it would've come from a non-Unitedstatian
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think also a perceived lag in bands from Norway, in a US perspective, is until the Internet and international music festivals such as NEARfest, RoSfest and MDF, AirPlay was mostly given to American, British, Canadian, Australian and (in the 80's) German bands. Before the 1990's, Norway's music scene was represented mainly by a-Ha.

Norway's music scene was represented mainly by a-Ha.
    To each its own cultural references... Mine were Garbarek and Rypdal

I guess to you, Sweden was ABBA and Europe, whereas for me was Samla Mammas Manna
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just to make shure you didn't miss it

Terje Rypdal's Odyssey - Live at Molde Jazz Festival, Klubb Lucullus, Molde, Norway, 29 July 1975

Jazzland
    Hubro
    Rune Grammofon
    Smalltown Supersound
    Curling Legs
    ODIN
    Inner Ear
    Jazzaway
    Losen
    Termo
    NORCD

Cheers.,
    John
    Thanks! I'll have to look into them.

Just last night I was looking at the Scented Gardens Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock. Norway had only 40 artist entries, yet Sweden had 150! So it's not just me that seems to be miscalculating what Norway has to offer. I'm happy to discover new music though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    To each its own cultural references... Mine were Garbarek and Rypdal

I guess to you, Sweden was ABBA and Europe, whereas for me was Samla Mammas Manna
    i'm just pointing out that if you asked a generic someone to name a band from Norway, you would probably get a-Ha.