Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miriodor's new album... COBRA FAKIR

Miriodor's new album... COBRA FAKIR

Didn't even know this was in the works...

Anyone heard it yet??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Heard it live at ProgDay, then bought it from the gents directly

I am still digesting all the details, but IMHO it's another great one, well worth having.

For those that like vinyl, there is a swanky version on vinyl with different artwork available from Wayside.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Yeah, I bought it at ProgDay. Great album ... buy it and let it grow on you.

Did they ever release a "bad" album - letalone record a "bad" tune?

I went through my entire Miriodor catalog just a few weeks back (granted I don't have Avanti or the standalone live release on ProgQuébec), and I must say that there are very few other bands I'd consider this all-encompassingly consistant in quality. There's always something more with them - and often something NEW as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Yeah, I bought it at ProgDay. Great album ... buy it and let it grow on you.

Yeah, I'm sure it will... But is it the usual Miriodor sound ala Mekkano or Juggling, or does it soundmore like Avanti (their latest)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure it will... But is it the usual Miriodor sound ala Mekkano or Juggling, or does it soundmore like Avanti (their latest)
    I bought the swanky vinyl version and can highly recommend it to vinyl fanatics. I'm not as familiar with Avanti as I am with Mekano and Juggling, but compared to those mid-period works Cobra seems a bit more subtle and less aggressive in its compositional approach.

I'd say it's completely different from Mekano AND Avanti!. A different direction entirely.

A fan here!!.
    Fantastic musics IMHO!!.

More info.:

http://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/cobra-fakir

Enjoy!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Miriodor talk about their new album here:

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Similar to others I got it at ProgDay, it's a great album, I find it closer to Avanti! that Mekano & Jugglers but as Scrotum said they are a consistently excellent band.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

There's more s p a c e on this one.

I like it, there's only so much psycho circus I can take.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Similar to others I got it at ProgDay, it's a great album, I find it closer to Avanti! that Mekano & Jugglers but as Scrotum said they are a consistently excellent band.
    Yeah, fropm the YT sample, it sounds closer to avanti.... and I welcome that direction change.

Most likely I'll order it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

I went through my entire Miriodor catalog just a few weeks back (granted I don't have Avanti or the standalone live release on ProgQuébec), and I must say that there are very few other bands I'd consider this all-encompassingly consistant in quality. There's always something more with them - and often something NEW as well.
    You first question -no they didn't -a very consistent band in quality terms
    Second -you need Avanti! but you don't really need the live album - its not bad but I rarely play it and there was at least one track on there that irritated me (someone reading a poem I believe) .

And I agree entirely with you last statement -always something more and always something new. And I'd add -and it never sounds like anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

I think you have coined a new term for a genre... It is exactly the "psycho circus" thing that drives me nuts about Miriodor after a while. My daughter (age 7) hit upon this same imagery once in the car: Dad this sounds like crazy circus music. It wasn't Miriodor but UZ I think. So I'm glad to hear that the new one is more relaxed, if I'm interpreting your comment correctly, and I plan to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I think you have coined a new term for a genre... It is exactly the "psycho circus" thing that drives me nuts about Miriodor after a while. My daughter (age 7) hit upon this same imagery once in the car: Dad this sounds like crazy circus music. It wasn't Miriodor but UZ I think. So I'm glad to hear that the new one is more relaxed, if I'm interpreting your comment correctly, and I plan to check it out.
    I know what youguys mean... and there are a few groups I'm slowly getting tired (saturated) of that do that kind of music, like Alammailman Vasarat, for ex. Dare I even say that UZ and Aranis are not always pleasing me when they head in that directio.n

but there is a fairly difficult line tbetween jazz-manouche (also called Gypsy jazz), Klezmer music and those eastern-european dance musics (ala Bartok)... they're all linked: the Manouche people (A Gypsy tribe more or less based in Belgium and Northern France >> that's why Django reinhardt had the Belgian nationality, despite being Gypsy/Rom/Tzigan) are generally the Circus people >> it's their main specialty to travel across Europe...

Miriodor is not the obnly Quebecois band to play that kind of stuff... Interference Sardines and Rouge Ciel do too. >> that'sz why I welcome a bit of change

I know what youguys mean... and there are a few groups I'm slowly getting tired (saturated) of that do that kind of music, like Alammailman Vasarat, for ex. Dare I even say that UZ and Aranis are not always pleasing me when they head in that directio.n

but there is a fairly difficult line tbetween jazz-manouche (also called Gypsy jazz), Klezmer music and those eastern-european dance musics (ala Bartok)... they're all linked: the Manouche people (A Gypsy tribe more or less based in Belgium and Northern France >>
    And don't forget the Ringling Brothers and Barnum Bailey tribe from the west coast panhandle of Florida!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I was listening to Calle Debauche today, now that's Circus Prog.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

LOL, good one!

I gave his a first spin tonight. I like it. I does have more space. It's not nearly as dense as Mekano or Avanti, and uncharacteristically for me that might not be a bad thing.

I have all the Miriodor stuff except the live album and like it all to one extent or another. Mekano is probably my favorite overall. I have a lot of respect for this band and what they have done, but I don't think everything they have done is excellent, and often they seem to plow the same ground. On first listen, this one is different and was easy for me to listen to without the fatigue I often get with Miriodor. Looking forward to further spins.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    LOL, good one!

I gave his a first spin tonight. I like it. I does have more space. It's not nearly as dense as Mekano or Avanti, and uncharacteristically for me that might not be a bad thing.

I have all the Miriodor stuff except the live album and like it all to one extent or another. Mekano is probably my favorite overall. I have a lot of respect for this band and what they have done, but I don't think everything they have done is excellent, and often they seem to plow the same ground. On first listen, this one is different and was easy for me to listen to without the fatigue I often get with Miriodor. Looking forward to further spins.

Bill
    Indeed, I absolutely loved alamaailman Vasarat's concert at the RIO Fest '11 >> these guys had ne dancing around (not many bands can achieve this anymore)... but a one hour performance (festival format oblige) was way more than enough... I was like drunk and about to overdose...

And don't forget the Ringling Brothers and Barnum Bailey tribe from the west coast panhandle of Florida!
    Yup indeed, but ethnically the Barnums are from the Manouche group, if I'm not mistaken...

[QUOTE=NogbadTheBad;175520]I was listening to Calle Debauche today, now that's Circus Prog.

Oh indeed -I love their first two but the last one was bit lacking without Mohadev. Try also Flying Food Circus if you haven't hear them. Fantastic album and DVD but it seems to have been a one-off project.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

You need Avanti! - - - - - Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeffworman View Post
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by jeffworman View Post
    Yeah, it's not far from being my fave (along with Jongleries)

Although those voxes on the very first album (I've got it on vinyl) aren't all too rewarding per sé, I'm kinda curious as to how they would have sounded if they made an entire album of "vocal-based" pieces, perhaps involving an external singer of some sort. I find the idea quite intriguing.

haven't got mine yet, samples sounds intriguing as always