Thread: Francis Dunnery - Frankenstein Monster

Old man of prog

Francis Dunnery - Frankenstein Monster

Well this was an unexpected year end surprise. Color me impressed. The former frontman of IT BITES comes with the album of his career. I believe Francis suffers from what I call "Todd Rundgren" disease. Its an affliction that causes an artist to often be overly clever and shoot himself in the foot. Although Dunnery has had moments of brilliance he often just misses the mark and end up enjoying the smell of his own farts but this album nails it. Very muscular basically power trio oftentimes putting me in mind of Jethro Tull "Benefit" which coincidentally is coming out this week in Steve Wilson reinvention. A late addition to my Top10 list of 2013. I got mine from Bandcamp.

He's touring this album in the UK at the moment ! It was on my 'to get' list but had completely forgotten about it . Fanks for the reminder !

got this last week and I am impressed. Some very interesting chords yet in a rock vein. Good stuff!

I already ordered it. Is this the album where he covers the songs of his brother's band?
    His last offering was not exactly up to par, IMO. Even if the songs themselves were good, and typical FD songs, the delivery was weak (and sounding very cheaply). Well, something different at least!

Is Dave Kerzner involved in this?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    I already ordered it. Is this the album where he covers the songs of his brother's band?
    His last offering was not exactly up to par, IMO. Even if the songs themselves were good, and typical FD songs, the delivery was weak (and sounding very cheaply). Well, something different at least!
    Couldn't agree more. His last studio album, Made in Space was baffling to say the least. The songs had potential, but were destroyed by the extreme use of Autotune. It just sounded silly. Francis's quirkiness can work well sometimes , but Made in Space was a big disappointment. This new album sounds much better.

I've just sent off the vinyl masters to the manufacturer - this album is stunning and those of you who listen to vinyl are in for a treat. A double heavyweight album with download code for hi-res digital audio as well. We're pressing just 250 copies and orders are already coming in which is heartening. No Squids were involved in the making of this record ;-)

Come to the store page at www.planegroovy.com to place a pre-order .....

Cheers, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Is Dave Kerzner involved in this?

It's funny how you post in this thread yet were mysteriously absent at the recent Francis Dunnery concert.

I'm not sure if it's the "album of his career". I gave it the first spin today and the songs didn't impress me very much - but I like that he picked up the electric guitar again! The first and the last song I liked quite well (these are probably his own), the other tracks really sound a bit dated (the old Necromandus tracks?).
    I'll have to listen to it again some more times to come to a conclusion.

BTW, what is constantly lacking with FD is the packaging of his discs. No lyrics insert, and very spartanic overall! Sure, I buy it for the music, but when I get packaging like a certain Mr. Wilson does, it's so much more pleasing to have the physical disc!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It's funny how you post in this thread yet were mysteriously absent at the recent Francis Dunnery concert.
    Sorry, man, I just couldn't fit it in. Would have loved to have gone, but too little time, too little funds, y'know?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally