Thread: Greatest progressive rock albums according to google

Greatest progressive rock albums according to google

This is pretty cool. I just discovered that if you put in something like "greatest progressive rock albums" in the google search engine you will get album covers for about 10-15 different albums. You can't put in "prog" though. It has to be "progressive rock" or "art rock." It changes a little bit if you put in "best" or leave out any adjective altogether. If you put in just "progressive" without "rock" then Lark's tongues in Aspic pops up.

I have also put in things like psychedelic albums, science fiction films, horror movies,jazz albums, novels, etc etc. You can put in pretty much anything you want to see a list for and a picture or book cover, album cover or whatever will appear. This is good for someone new to a certain genre to see what is usually recommended first.

For the prog albums(and pretty much everything)they are the most obvious of course. When I put in "krautrock albums" bands like Can, Amon Duul 2 and Ash Ra Temple popped up as well as the more obvious ones like Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream. Of course it's not perfect, one of the albums that popped up when I put in "instrumental rock" was Frank Zappa's "hot rats" which does have some vocals on it.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 10-27-2013 at 02:59 PM.

For those who are too lazy to try it, here are the ones that pop up. At this stage of the game I don't feel the need to list the bands.

Dark side of the moon
    Close to the Edge
    In the court of the Crimson King
    The Wall
    Wish you were here
    Selling England by the Pound
    The Yes Album
    Fragile
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band
    Scenes from a memory: Metropolis pt. 2
    Foxtrot
    The Lamb Lies down on Broadway
    Moving Pictures
    Thick as a brick
    Pawn Hearts
    Hemispheres
    Tales from topographic Oceans
    Atom Heart Mother
    Nursery Cryme

Best (takes out Hemispheres and gives us):

Aqualung

Just progressive gives us:

Images and Words

I know I saw Lark's tongues in Aspic in there yesterday though.

Interesting how there's no ELP, Gentle Giant or Porcupine Tree. Also, interesting is that Sgt. Peppers is listed but not Days of future passed.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 10-28-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    For those who are too lazy to try it, here are the ones that pop up.
    Anyone who's too lazy to type something into Google and press Enter is probably way too lazy to read PE!