FEATURED CD: Pink Floyd - Animals

Are they Prog?

Are they Big?

Are they Big 5?

Only Lino knows for sure.

Review from Rolling Stone:
    By Frank Rose
    March 24, 1977

For Pink Floyd, space has always been the ultimate escape. It still is, but now definitions have shifted. The romance of outer space has been replaced by the horror of spacing out.

This shift has been coming for a while. There was Dark Side of the Moon and "Brain Damage," Wish You Were Here and the story of founding member Syd Barrett, the "Crazy Diamond." And now there's Animals, a visit to a cacophonous farm where what you have to watch for is pigs on the wing. Animals is a song suite that deals with subjects like loneliness, death and lies. "Have a good drown," they shout dolefully as you drop into the pit that is this album: "Have a good drown as you go down all alone/Dragged down by the stone ... stone ... stone ... stone ... stone ..." Thanks, pals, I'll try.

It's no use. Like all Floyd records, this one absorbs like a sponge, but you can still hear the gooey screams of listeners who put up a fight. What's the problem? For starters, the sax that warmed Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here has been replaced by a succession of David Gilmour guitar solos — thin, brittle and a sorry substitute indeed. The singing is more wooden than ever. The sound is more complex, but it lacks real depth; there's nothing to match the incredible intro to Dark Side of the Moon, for example, with its hypnotic chorus of cash registers recalling the mechanical doom that was Fritz Lang's vision in Metropolis. Somehow you get the impression that this band is being metamorphosed into a noodle factory.

Maybe that shouldn't be surprising. Floyd was never really welcomed into the Sixties avant garde: space rock was a little too close to science fiction for that. But the extraordinary success of Dark Side of the Moon (released nearly four years ago, it's still on the charts) culminated almost a decade of ever-expanding cult appeal and gave the band an audience that must have seemed as boundless as space itself. The temptation to follow through with prefab notions of what that audience would like — warmed over, spaced out heavy-metal, in this case — was apparently too strong to resist.

Even worse, however, is the bleak defeatism that's set in. In 1968 Floyd was chanting lines like: "Why can't we reach the sun? / Why can't we throw the years away?" This kind of stuff may seem silly, but at least it wasn't self-pitying. The 1977 Floyd has turned bitter and morose. They complain about the duplicity of human behavior (and then title their songs after animals — get it?). They sound like they've just discovered this — their message has become pointless and tedious.

Floyd has always been best at communicating the cramped psychology that comes from living in a place like England, where the 20th century has been visibly superimposed on the others that preceded it. The tension that powers their music is not simply fright at man's helplessness before technology; it's the conflict between the modern and the ancient, between technology and tradition. Space is Floyd's way of resolving the conflict.

Of course, space doesn't offer any kind of real escape; Pink Floyd knows that. But spacing out is supposed to. (Spacing out has always been the idea behind space rock anyway.) Animals is Floyd's attempt to deal with the realization that spacing out isn't the answer either. There's no exit; you get high, you come down again. That's what Pink Floyd has done, with a thud.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Well that may be Mr. Roses opinion, but I think its one of the greatest albums ever. I know, hyperbole, but I love it. It came out when I discovered animal farm in high school, so it almost became the "audio" to my "video" of the the book. I like it more than Wish You Were Here. I think Gilmour is amazing, FAR from "thin, brittle and a sorry substitute indeed" from the sax on WYWH. I've never been a huge fan of Waters voice, but for me, it fits much better than it did later on the wall. I know from interviews etc., why it doesn't get any love from Gilmour, I can understand that, but for me, a fan, it gets tons of love from me.

Great album.. many many memories of this one upon it's release... lot's of mileage since as well! Iconic album cover.. (have I said enough?)

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

Are they Prog?

Are they Big?

Are they Big 5?

Which one's Pink?

Not prog: no odd-time sigs... but You Gotta Be Crazy not to respond to the call of Animals
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wonderful wonderful album, my favorite Floyd album and one of my all time favorites. To me this is dark and brooding (which I like), with anguished lyrics that don't detract from the music (which is great) and the blend of Waters ideas with Gilmour & Wrights music is as good as it gets.

I don't care if they don't change time signatures to be prog. It's got to be interesting, experimental and push boundaries (tick, tick, tick)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

One of my favourite PF albums. Doesn't quite reach the heights of the Live At Pompeii era (tops for me), but it's up there. I just love Gilmour's guitar work throughout this album, and it contains probably my favourite PF moment of all, in "Dogs": "...and as the fear grows, the bad blood slows and turns to stooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-ooooooooooone..... and it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around... so have a good drown, as you go down all alone... dragged down by the stone..."

Many other great moments too, of course. Waters spewing the line "wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dreeeeeeeeam....", Gilmour's guitar outtro to "Sheep"... I love this album from beginning to end, even more than the one that preceded it and the one that came after.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

An album I appreciate more than ever, thematically it has really aged rather well...unfortunately. I now think it's a masterpiece, up there with the more acclaimed albums either side of it. 'Dogs' in particular I find a towering work, and the rock out finale of 'Sheep' is classic.

That review says little about the actual album, saying more about their earlier work!

Amazing, amazing, amazing. Thank you & good night.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Peace will only come to these lands when the Great Canadian returns
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

This and WWYH are what makes Waters-era Floyd worthwhile.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

It's interesting to look at that review in the context of the time it was written, with DSotM only four years old. The band really did change a lot between then and Animals, and the lyrics had gotten a lot more bitter.

It still has some great music on it, though, especially on "Dogs." I'd say Animals is the last of their great classics. I never cared much for The Wall, aside from "Hey You" and "Comfortably Numb."

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I'm another booster. This is an amazing work. The studiocraft has very few peers. While Waters is dominating, the band's contributions are still incredibly strong. So the music is amazing, as is the dark, angry dynamo at the core of the album.

Not prog? Whatever. Enjoy your checklist.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    It's interesting to look at that review in the context of the time it was written, with DSotM only four years old. The band really did change a lot between then and Animals, and the lyrics had gotten a lot more bitter.

It still has some great music on it, though, especially on "Dogs." I'd say Animals is the last of their great classics. I never cared much for The Wall, aside from "Hey You" and "Comfortably Numb."
    Yeah, I remember (vaguely -- I was 13 at the time) when Animals came out and there was definitely a sense of puzzlement and mild disappointment. The review very much captures that. But of course time is needed to know the lasting value of these kinds of albums and I think time has been kind to Animals. I've always liked it for the sonic textures, the musical attitude behind the lyrics, and the lyrics themselves. Sure they're dark and cynical -- but that's what Roger Waters has always been so good at, and on this album he's firing on all cylinders.

Oh, and it's not all bitter and gloom -- to me the emotional release from Dave's guitar fanfare at the end of "Sheep" is amazingly cathartic. Then the gentle acoustic epilog (stolen by Rush on "Hemispheres") gives the ending a nice bit of heart. All in all, a fantastic album.

It is one of the 3 Pink Floyd albums I own and my favorite. It is one of the few albums where the lyrics speak to me.

A personal favorite. In my mind, flawless!

Adrian wrote:
    "It's interesting to look at that review in the context of the time it was written, with DSotM only four years old. The band really did change a lot between then and Animals, and the lyrics had gotten a lot more bitter."

Exactly!.
    A great álbum; always enjoyed it!.

Regards!.
    Last edited by TCC; 10-27-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Musically it is solid. Nowhere near Dark Side or Wish You Were Here, but solid. The album as a whole though, shows the cracks that signal the beginning of the end of Waters' time in the band. The near absence of Gilmour's vocals show what he thought of the megalomaniacal soapbox lyrics, dour and depressing as they were. This album screamed "Waters must go!" and though I actually like The Wall for its very pompousness, The Final Cut was the Final Nail in Waters' tenure thankfully so.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

My fave of theirs.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

A good, very focused work of art. Last classic Pink Floyd album, in my opinion. The Wall was simply a very different thing.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

This and WYWH are my favorite Floyd albums, Actually, they're not a band I really like that much other than these albums and parts of Dark Side and The Wall. But I think Animals is a really great album, musically and lyrically. Wish they did more like this and WYWH.

Bill

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    BEST.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

For me, 'Dogs' is Floyd's high-point. The rest pales beside it - but for that track and the magnificent cover it's a must-own.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Pink Who??

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    For me, 'Dogs' is Floyd's high-point. The rest pales beside it - but for that track and the magnificent cover it's a must-own.
    It's mine too but saying the rest pales is a bit of a stretch, I still love Shine On, Sheep, Echoes, Careful, etc.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I never really got PF.
    I own Meddle, I like Obscured by Clouds, allways thought I ought to like Dark side of the moon, it reminds me of The Beatles (Abbey Road), but I never really get carried away. Later albums and Roger Waters post-war-traumas doesn't interest me. We dont need no education?