Thread: AAJ Review: ony Levin, Marco Minnemann & Jordan Rudess: Levin Minnemann Rudess

AAJ Review: ony Levin, Marco Minnemann & Jordan Rudess: Levin Minnemann Rudess

My review of Tony Levin, Marco Minnemann & Jordan Rudess' Levin Minnemann Rudess, today at All About Jazz.

For a first crack at a fresh idea for Lazy Bones Records葉hree well-known musicians brought together to create improv-based music with a minimum of planning有evin Torn White (2011) was a set that, beyond finding common ground amongst bassist/stick master Tony Levin, guitar sound sculptor David Torn and drummer Alan White, also proved, unequivocally, that White is capable of far more than he's demonstrated recently with his longstanding membership in the overly inflated dinosaur of Yes. But Levin Minnemann Rudess is an even better outing, if for no other reason than the two musicians associated with Levin this time around are even more impressive, both from sheer instrumental mastery and in their ability to shape a far more focused 65-minute set of thrilling material that leans even more heavily into progressive rock territory with complete aplomb and no shortage of reckless abandon.

It should come as no surprise, given the trio's collective pedigree. Aside from Levin's decades-long history with Peter Gabriel and King Crimson, drummer Marco Minnemann謡ho seemed to burst onto the scene early in the new millennium with the same relentless vitality that he demonstrates in his playing, ranging from his Normalizer 2 project, which gave a 51-minute drum improv to artists like Mike Keneally and Alex Machacek, who then composed music around it, in Machacek's case the superb 24 Tales (Abstract Logix, 2010)擁s currently on a career crest, bringing almost impossible virtuosity and ingenuity to The Artistocrats, which also features guitar phenom Guthrie Govan様ike Minnemann, a member of Steven Wilson's current band, responsible for the progressive rocker's successful The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) (Kscope, 2013).

Continue reading here...

Nice review, WHAT an album, my GOD man...Minnemann, the guy continues to completely floor me, this guy is off the charts incredible...and Rudess, now THIS is the kind of work I miss from him with DT.
    Any comparisons to Liquid Tension Experiment, well, aside from two of the guys being in the band, there aren't any. SO much better than both those albums. IMO.

What a great album!

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Nice review, WHAT an album, my GOD man...Minnemann, the guy continues to completely floor me, this guy is off the charts incredible...and Rudess, now THIS is the kind of work I miss from him with DT.
    Any comparisons to Liquid Tension Experiment, well, aside from two of the guys being in the band, there aren't any. SO much better than both those albums. IMO.

What a great album!
    Agreed; i only mentioned LTE for historical context, that Levin & Rudess had met before. You're absolutely right though - this is way better than LTE, trumps the Levin/Torn/White album and, for me, is a far nicer place to hear Rudess, not being a big fan of DT.

Thanks, btw, for your usual kind words about the writing!
    Best!
    John

I only mentioned them because its so far superior to both those albums, and I think the usual tendency is to try and make references to other similar formations etc. My pleasure John, your writing, reviews are to me, always thought out and might I say, objective?! If you've reviewed something I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I only mentioned them because its so far superior to both those albums, and I think the usual tendency is to try and make references to other similar formations etc. My pleasure John, your writing, reviews are to me, always thought out and might I say, objective?! If you've reviewed something I read it.
    I took no offense, just wanted to be clear for others, Thanks for reading - I really appreciate it. You build a readership one reader at a time, so I am grateful for everyone who takes the time to read my sometimes, em, lengthy diatribes

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I need to get this.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I could only get through this thing once.

Too dense, too layered , and it didn't sound like a band.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I disagree completely with those who say that this is better than LTE. At least the first LTE is a lot better than this record. Let me put it this way - I like it better than this album. While I can't say that I like all of the LTE songs (some are a bit meh), but overall it's so much more impressive. On the second album there is the song Biaxident - that one alone I like far far better than anything on this album. Just my perspective on it.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I could only get through this thing once.

Too dense, too layered , and it didn't sound like a band.
    Just saw this comment. I can't say much about the dense aspect, but I would agree about the band thing. I think that Rudess added the keys when everything else was already done, maybe that's the problem.