Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes-Time to get Jon Anderson & Rick Wakeman back in the group

I wouldn't hold your breath.

It's notable that Boston is releasing a new album before the sequel to Olias is finished.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I thought the best bits of "Open" were the ones recycled from "New Languages".

If we're recruiting old members, though, I still think Rabin's Jacaranda is the best thing to come out of anybody in the Yes camp in a very long time, so he'd be my choice.

I'd rather see an infusion of some younger blood in the band, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    I thought the best bits of "Open" were the ones recycled from "New Languages".

If we're recruiting old members, though, I still think Rabin's Jacaranda is the best thing to come out of anybody in the Yes camp in a very long time, so he'd be my choice.

I'd rather see an infusion of some younger blood in the band, though.
    I've never noticed any parallels (no pun) between "Open" and "New Language", despite MANY listens to the former. I'll look into that! (I hate the 'Doogie Howser' keyboards on "New Language", btw).

Gah! I *still* haven't checked out Jacaranda, even though I've heard such good things ever since its release. Just too many things in the "In" pile all the time. I'll get to it. I'm a classic Yes lover but I also really like Rabin as a musician.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Mind Drive View Post
    With Yes knocking on the door of the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame it is time to get Jon & Rick back in the group. This could be another blown opportunity for Yes (and there have been many of them). Get the classic line up together for one last big tour and call it a day.
    What would "one last big tour" with Anderson/Wakeman in 2014 deliver that, say, their last big tour in 2004 didn't?

We've had more reunions of the Classic Yes than fans of other bands have got to enjoy (compare, say, Genesis, Zeppelin, Gentle Giant, even Asia). I don't feel we, Yes fans, can really complain in that respect.

In the end, the band will do what it will do. We know they're working on a new album with the current line-up and I look forward to hearing that. My guess would be a full-on reunion with Anderson/Wakeman is unlikely in the next 12 months (Yes have plans, Wakeman is busy), although some one-off is always possible and, with Yes, there are always surprises, so... we'll see.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've never noticed any parallels (no pun) between "Open" and "New Language", despite MANY listens to the former. I'll look into that! (I hate the 'Doogie Howser' keyboards on "New Language", btw).

Gah! I *still* haven't checked out Jacaranda, even though I've heard such good things ever since its release. Just too many things in the "In" pile all the time. I'll get to it. I'm a classic Yes lover but I also really like Rabin as a musician.
    Jacaranda is well worth getting. Open is good too, as is Time (Steve Howe's latest solo album).

Henry

I'm so over this whole argument. Some people will always insist that Yes has to have certain members or the whole thing is illegitimate. Whatever. They're going to do what they want, and that's fine. They owe me nothing as a fan. They've given me decades of great albums and musical enjoyment. I'm not about to tell them they have to put in members X and Y, then do one last show, and then retire.

"Yes is not your Bitch"........oh......wrong thread
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I'm so over this whole argument. Some people will always insist that Yes has to have certain members or the whole thing is illegitimate. Whatever. They're going to do what they want, and that's fine. They owe me nothing as a fan. They've given me decades of great albums and musical enjoyment. I'm not about to tell them they have to put in members X and Y, then do one last show, and then retire.
    Totally agree. That being said, without Jon, I have little interest until they come up with a singer who doesn't sound like a clone. Perhaps, Davison turns out to be that someone. But, until I hear something new...
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I ran out of giveashit ages ago, I'm afraid.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Totally agree. That being said, without Jon, I have little interest until they come up with a singer who doesn't sound like a clone. Perhaps, Davison turns out to be that someone. But, until I hear something new...
    New album expected around July 2014.

Henry

There is one thing that some people seem to forget here and that is the very real possibility that Jon couldn't do a full blown Yes tour at this point. Though he does his solo acoustic shows from time to time, Yes still does quite a bit of touring. I am not sure that Jon or his voice could meet the demands of the band's schedule. I have been revisiting some YES concerts recently on DVD and I agree that when Jon is fronting the band, it just feels more like YES. It just feels more special. I have seen the band with David and Davison fronting and though they both did a good job, I just don't get as excited about a YES show as I used to. The sad truth for both of Jon's replacements is that their main function ( and what I think most audience members are listening for) is how well they can mimic Anderson. They generally pass the test though and at this point, probably sound more like Jon than Jon does. Regardless, I think that it could be argued that the last 6-7 years have hurt the band's legacy in some ways. (And I liked Fly From Here a lot.) i understand though why Howe, Squire and White are moving forward in the manner that they are. I also understand why some PE members are bored with this discussion as it really is a moot point. The more realistic question people should be asking isn't why the remaining members won't reunite with Jon, but moreso why they don't just end the band. Reuniting with Jon would significantly reduce the band's activity and it is obvious that Squire, Howe and White aren't ready to do that at this time. Perhaps in a few years when they too are entering their 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    There is one thing that some people seem to forget here and that is the very real possibility that Jon couldn't do a full blown Yes tour at this point. Though he does his solo acoustic shows from time to time, Yes still does quite a bit of touring. I am not sure that Jon or his voice could meet the demands of the band's schedule.
    I think this gets overlooked as well. I love Jon and always will -- but I saw one of his solo shows out here in Seattle a couple of years ago, and he looked tired and sounded raspy. As much as we'd all love to see him in Yes again, I honestly don't believe he could withstand the rigors of a full-blown rock tour, both physically and vocally.

Whether touring without Jon hurts their legacy is something I'll leave to the history books. I didn't like Fly From Here, but I've seen a show with Davison and I thought he was outstanding. But their legacy is surely going to rest most heavily on their '70s output, and I can't imagine there's much they can do to undermine that.

I think this gets overlooked as well. I love Jon and always will -- but I saw one of his solo shows out here in Seattle a couple of years ago, and he looked tired and sounded raspy. As much as we'd all love to see him in Yes again, I honestly don't believe he could withstand the rigors of a full-blown rock tour, both physically and vocally.

Whether touring without Jon hurts their legacy is something I'll leave to the history books. I didn't like Fly From Here, but I've seen a show with Davison and I thought he was outstanding. But their legacy is surely going to rest most heavily on their '70s output, and I can't imagine there's much they can do to undermine that.
    Anderson's voice has been getting better. I saw a solo show this year and his voice was pretty close to his pre-morbid/early 2000s state. Whether he could manage a full touring schedule, I don't know.

I agree with you about the legacy. Nothing that happens now, short of one of the band members bringing out an assault rifle and going on a killing spree, is going to have any impact on their legacy. Reuniting with Anderson/Wakeman, not reuniting with Anderson/Wakeman, becoming a mariarchi band, the legacy is secure.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Nothing that happens now, short of one of the band members bringing out an assault rifle and going on a killing spree, is going to have any impact on their legacy.
    Henry
    Oh, puleeze. We've already had "Shoot High, Aim Low."

Not again.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I think Jon's overall health and his voice have improved from a couple of years ago when he had just recovered from serious respiratory problems. That said, it does seem at this point that his voice is better suited to some smaller acoustic shows rather than a full scale rock concert/tour. By all accounts, he sounds better at this point, but the reality is that he is almost 70 years old and his health scare of a few years ago does seem to have had a negative effect on the power of his vocals.

As for the legacy question, I guess it depends on who you are asking. There are Yes fans who think that the band pretty much stopped being relevant after Tormato or even GFTO. I don't agree at all, but some would argue that from a legacy perspective, it is better to stop before you become a shadow of your former self. I can see where some people would think that touring with a singer who's main job is to sound like the guy who helped to shape your sound is a bit, well, sad. It is a wise business decision under the circumstances, but will admit that for me personally, it is no longer essential to see Yes every time they tour. I will still always be interested to hear what the band comes up with in the studio, as I am a fan of Howe, Squire, White and Downes. That said, the magic is a bit gone for me at this point. They don't feel as much like a band and it seems that Downes and particularly Davison are really just hired hands. Does anyone feel that Davison is anything more than an employee?

I agree though with the idea that their legacy was essentially secured in the 70s. I also think that the 80s were important. Though some like to disregard 90125, it was an important and very successful time for the band. Personally, I loved the band through Magnification, but the last 10 years have been very hot and cold. Mostly cold, as even Fly From Here, which I really enjoyed, ended up being a missed opportunity. When it was released, their US tour at the time ignored the album and instead was another tour securely locked in the past. By the time they did perform some of the album live, it was essentially old news. It's absolutely their prerogative to be a retro act and that is certainly what many other bands of their era are doing. It just doesn't interest me much. When Anderson was in the band, they celebrated their past as well, but they were also much more forward thinking. I am a realist though and am not blind to the many people at their current tours who are visibly ecstatic to hear 'I've seen all good people' and Roundabout' for the 10.000th time. It's appropriate though as Yes has pretty much become a full time product rather than a creative force of any significance.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    Does anyone feel that Davison is anything more than an employee?
    Yes (no pun intended). It remains to be seen for sure, but I expect his contributions to any forthcoming album will be on a pretty equal footing with the rest of the band.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Yes (no pun intended). It remains to be seen for sure, but I expect his contributions to any forthcoming album will be on a pretty equal footing with the rest of the band.
    I hope that you are right, but I would be somewhat surprised actually. Didn't seem that Benoit David had equal footing in Fly from Here. He did a fine job on the album, but I didn't get the sense from interviews, behind the scenes footage, etc that he had a ton of input into the final product.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Given that they often seem to find themselves dry of ideas, I'd wager they welcome another writing contributor - if he's any good. It's funny, Steve Howe seems to come up with plenty of material, but perhaps most of that is only useable in a solo guitar album context.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Given that they often seem to find themselves dry of ideas, I'd wager they welcome another writing contributor - if he's any good. It's funny, Steve Howe seems to come up with plenty of material, but perhaps most of that is only useable in a solo guitar album context.
    I think his input would be a positive add. Let's hope that they actually move forward with the plans in place for the new album for 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    New album expected around July 2014.

Has actual work (recording) begun on this yet?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Has actual work (recording) begun on this yet?
    Based on the last one, about 30 years ago.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    There's one of Emerson !
    Howe, too!

I think all the people who were in Yes for EXTREMELY short periods of time should make a Yes album. Billy Sherwood on bass, Patrick Moraz or Igor Khoroshev on keys, Bill Bruford (4 years and one Union tour? Who does he think he is? ) on drums, the great Tom Brislin could sing. Oh and Jimmy Page on guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I think all the people who were in Yes for EXTREMELY short periods of time should make a Yes album. Billy Sherwood on bass, Patrick Moraz or Igor Khoroshev on keys, Bill Bruford (4 years and one Union tour? Who does he think he is? ) on drums, the great Tom Brislin could sing. Oh and Jimmy Page on guitar.
    No Jobson, No Yes.