Thread: The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra - Zombie Mouth

The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra - Zombie Mouth

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/gco

People may have seen them at a ProgDay preshow back in 2011, or on 1 of their brief tours in the South that same year.

Well, they have a new record coming soon titled "Zombie Mouth," and they have turned to a crowd funding campaign to help support its release.

For those who may not know them, stylistically one may describe them as a primarily instrumental group blending elements of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Mahavishnu Orchestra, King Crimson and even Rush (Lisi Wright, their violinist is not shy about her love of Rush, and the band even has covered YYZ live).

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/gco

Pre-order our new album Zombie Mouth here! Help save us from the zombie apocalypse!
    The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra (GCO) has been freakin’ people’s minds with our crazy art-rock music for 4 years – we’ve released 4 albums: 2 original, 2 cover. It’s been awhile since our last double-release and the time has come!

After two years of touring, playing some great shows and making new friends, we’ve managed to write and record a new album! We love it and are excited to share the music with all of you. As many of you know, our last two original albums featured complex instrumental tunes. But, man, we like to sing too! So, with Zombie Mouth (that’s what we’re calling it ), we delve into original vocal explorations as well.

We are involved in an ever-changing music business that can no longer count on record labels for any kind of real financial backing. More and more bands are acting as their own label and this is true for GCO too. We do what we do – touring, album releases, rental costs for album release parties – is all paid for with our own gig/merch income.

We started this pledge music campaign to help us cover mastering and manufacturing costs for our CD and vinyl. That’s right, vinyl! Now our fans can be involved in our little, independent GCO record label too! We’ve assembled some great rewards and we’re looking forward to getting this record done and in your hands as soon as possible.

We’re stoked to involve our fans in this project and, through your involvement in this campaign, we’ll be sharing exclusive downloads and videos so you can keep up with our crazy pre-release antics.

"The Blaze" is one of the better tracks from a previous record:

Thanks, I'm all in on this one!

The Blaze is too country for me. I find this much better:

Thanks for the info. Never heard this band before.

I'll have to check these clips out. But the band name still bugs me since there already was a band called the Galactic Cowboys, and they had six albums, including two on a major label, not exactly obscure.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I'll have to check these clips out. But the band name still bugs me since there already was a band called the Galactic Cowboys, and they had six albums, including two on a major label, not exactly obscure.
    I've never heard of GC, and I think if you took a poll you'd probably find that are pretty obscure, major label releases not being an automatic lift from obscurity.

Liking them, thanks for posting - I hear some Dixie Dreggs as well as the others you mentioned. Definitley on my to buy list and will check out the booster program

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I follow that contention and as the band does as well unfortunately, they receive hate email from Galactic Cowboy fans frequently. They didn't know of GC's at the time, but ironically, are or have become fans of King's X for example, as TGCO have even covered Groove Machine

and R_burke the Dixie Dregs comparison is another one that does make sense actually (slipped my mind), so good observation. I recall the band are fans of the Dixie Dregs/Dregs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I follow that contention and as the band does as well unfortunately, they receive hate email from Galactic Cowboy fans frequently. They didn't know of GC's at the time, but ironically, are or have become fans of King's X for example, as TGCO have even covered Groove Machine

and R_burke the Dixie Dregs comparison is another one that does make sense actually (slipped my mind), so good observation. I recall the band are fans of the Dixie Dregs/Dregs as well.
    Hate email is really absurd, I imagine it can't be too many people who would do that. I'm a fan of GC but would never go that far. Still surprising that a band name search would not pull up GC immediately. I thought all groups did a search while choosing their name. For the un-informed, Galactic Cowboys were a Texas band originally signed to Geffen records, and had a self titled debut, and a second album "Space In Your Face". They were supposed to be the "next big thing", but shortly after their debut release, the label decided to give their big push to another unknown act, Nirvana. The rest is history. GC were eventually dropped, but signed by Metal Blade and release 4 more albums -all easily available at any record chain at the time. The band were good friends with the King's X guys, and toured with them many times. They also opened for Dream Theater on the Images and Words tour. Their music was an odd mix of thrash metal and melodic rock, often using two and three part harmonies, and a good touch of humor. Guess the public wasn't ready for them. Of course a big push from the label would have changed all that. The idea that they are complete unknowns is really odd to me. I discovered them years before ever going online, and they did tour all over north America. Minor trivia, most of the band were in the Brendan Frasier/Adam Sandler comedy "Airheads", playing a fictitious band called "Gods of Thunder" or something silly like that.

well, "hate" or perhaps just a request to change their name.

But I happen to love Galactic Cowboys as well (they even did a reunion show last month). The whole Nirvana story not enough people know about sadly.

I dunno, I suppose I should ask Lisi or John if they considered changing their name, although they are hardly the 1st band to take a similar name of an even slightly known band who had long been broken up.

well, "hate" or perhaps just a request to change their name.

But I happen to love Galactic Cowboys as well (they even did a reunion show last month). The whole Nirvana story not enough people know about sadly.

I dunno, I suppose I should ask Lisi or John if they considered changing their name, although they are hardly the 1st band to take a similar name of an even slightly known band who had long been broken up.
    At this point they should keep it, and I guess the guys from GC don't have a problem with the similar name. That's all that should matter. If they are ok with it, end of story. If they are not, well, maybe a change would be warranted. I'm still waiting to hear music from the band Majesty, who made Dream Theater change their name. Bummer, I liked Majesty as a name far better.

3 days left, 91%.

GOAL MET! and still 1 day left.

Zombie Mouth released today to the pledgemusic supporters! if you pledged, check your email!
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...d=173683051059

Wow, I will have to grab that when it gets to general distribution.
    I love the first two.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain