Thread: Thomas Dolby's Invisible Lighthouse

Thomas Dolby's Invisible Lighthouse

Is anyone seeing his current, rather unique tour? I've got tix for the Albany show tomorrow. A film with soundtrack played live kind of thing, plus a few more live songs at the end. I heard there were some additional guest musicians at the California show, including Narada, but apparently tbe rest of the tour is a two man show.

There's a detailed interview about the project here.
    http://www.chaoscontrol.com/thomas-d...le-lighthouse/
    Last edited by Wah3; 10-24-2013 at 05:45 PM.

I thought his last album was very good. A fine songwriter.

It'll be the second time seeing him at Gramercy, oh, wait, I went THIS Monday to see him, fucker wasn't there...

I have tickets to NEXT Mondays show in NYC. Very excited, clearly, hes such a talented under rated musician, cant wait!

I'll be at the Egg in Albany tom'w. Saw him a few years ago down in NYC at Joe's Pub. He puts on a good show.

Ken

ps - this is my first post...woo hoo

I so want to get to the Pittsburgh show but don't think I can. Bollocks to Tuesday night events.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Didn't know about this tour, so will miss the NYC show, BUT we flew to Orlando last Saturday and he was on our flight! Cool.

Just got back from the show, it was very entertaining! The film was fascinating, shot mostly by rank amateur Dolby but with a day's help from a gent whose name escapes me that he said was the worlds master of remote controlled helicopter cameras. The editing was great as was the narration by Dolby, at turns reminiscing about childhood events leavened with doses of humor, at others exploring Englands most famous UFO sighting, and most prominently focusing on the lighthouse of the title.

The music was subtle, quotiñg various songs from his catalog ( the soundtrack to Ken Russells Gothic was mentioned in the Q&A) as well as newly composed segments. And the FX guy created sounds like wind, waves and footsteps to match the film whose actual audio soundtrack was mostly unusable, as well as playing guitar and some percussive instruments. After the film there was a Q&A segment and then a handful of additional songs. One of Our Submarines (dedicated to Dolbys uncle who died on one in WW2 as well as astronaut Buzz Aldrin), Hyperactive, She Blinded Me With Science and another I didn't recognize.

Dolbys quite a showman and I recommend to any one looking for a stripped down but entertaining show and a thought provoking film.
    Last edited by Wah3; 10-26-2013 at 12:34 AM.

Totally agree with that review. The viewing of the film was more of a multimedia performance than just a "sit back and watch a movie" - very unique and entertaining.

The other song played was "Evil Twin Brother" from his excellent 2011 release "Map of the Floating City". And finally, a quick correction and addition: The dedication to Buzz Aldrin was for "She Blinded Me with Science" - and was part of a co-dedication to him and Magnus Pyke (the real life British Scientist who provided the "SCIENCE!" and other quotes in the song).

That's very cool- would love to see this show!

Thanks for the corrections Ken, that's what I get for posting after midnight indulgence. What'd you think of the special guest for the Q&A segment. Gay as a 2 dollar bill was my girlfriend's summary, but maybe that was just the suit and use of the word Proustian :-) I don't get the focus on British writer JG Ballard. He did get some good responses with his questions though.

Oh before I forget how cool was it to see the drum and bass backing tracks for Hyperactive recreated live on the spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Oh before I forget how cool was it to see the drum and bass backing tracks for Hyperactive recreated live on the spot!
    I saw him do the same thing in an intimate performance at Sirius XM studios in DC a couple years back. It was quite cool.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Just out of the NYC show. Holy shit. What a wonderful experience. Such a poignant tribute to his world. He was amazing. His foley artist/sound designer was extraordinary.
    During his q&a he brought out Reggie watts. Never heard of him
    Before tonight. He floored me.
    If anyone's on the fence, get off and go. It's a delightful and amazing experience

I hate to reply with a "Me too," but I don't know what else to say. Rhea and I saw him last night in St. Louis. Wonderful show! I really didn't know much about him other than "She Blinded Me," but I knew that he had a great reputation, and he was only playing a few blocks from our condo. What pushed me over the edge to go was learning about the Invisible Lighthouse multimedia event he does. It was really fantastic. The film itself was well done, but the combination of it with the live storytelling, music, and sound effects was very enjoyable. In the end, his storytelling and humor were the highlights of the show.

See this show if you have a chance!

I've always been a Dolby fan ... The Flat Earth is remarkable ...